Author Topic: 1G speaker upgrade  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Damian Zerr

1G speaker upgrade
« on: December 02, 2002, 12:38:32 pm »
I'm in the process of installing new speakers in my car. My car has 6x9's in the rear so I'm just going to dump new 6x9's in there. As for the front side door, they are 5 1/4", but I thought I read somewhere you can fit 6 1/2" in there, this ture? Is it hard to do, any modifications that need doing?

I was also thinking about rewiring the speakers with a higher grade wire as well. I'm kinda a noob when it comes to stereo stuff, what kind of wire should I get, anyone know a good place to buy cheap stereo wire?
0PSI and 0 Knock

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 01:08:54 pm »
I put 7' ones in the door, and it seemed to work pretty good, + it sounds killer

Offline Aaron Moore

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 01:35:06 pm »
I put 5 1/4 excelons in my doors....

They sound pretty clean.  Now I just need an amp!
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Jay Drew

• http://members.shaw.ca/blackdsm/
1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 03:53:48 pm »
the 6x9's in the back can be a bitch. mine (JBL GTO's) as well as many others dont fit, there isn't enough clearance from the inner fender well. you can pound it out a bit without much trouble, but its kinda awkward to get in there with anything big enough to dent it. after six months, i'm still usin some spacers back there to get em to fit, but the interior panels dont go back into place properly. also, i get no bass at all outta the speakers in my car now. ive heard the rear speakers in these sound pretty bad no matter what, and i probably would've got a nice component set for the front and nothing for the back if i had the choice over again. oh well, my nice eclipse 12" makes up for the lack of bass, so it still sounds pretty good overall.

btw- the dash speakers are a pain in the ass! dont change them. i had to basically melt the hell outta the ducting goin to the vent for the drivers side window to get the new speakers to fit
3.45 @ 101.8mph

Chao C. Yin

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 03:54:22 pm »
I have 6.5 inch Infinity 602i in my 1G doors, fits with stock speaker water shield without modification.

Offline Damian Zerr

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 05:18:11 pm »
I got a decent deal at futureshop, buy one pair of speakers get the second pair 50% off, the guy even gave me the discount on the more expensive pair of 6x9's to :) Went with some decent Pioneer 6x9's and 6x1/2's. The Pioneer 6x9's fit perfectly in the 1G rear, no need for spacers.

I got the rears in, they sound 10x better than stock. I can actually turn the volume up over the med-loud mark now, those stock paper cone 6x9's would distort way to soon when upping the volume. Putting in the front's now.
0PSI and 0 Knock

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2002, 08:28:46 pm »
ICE is heavy and slows you down. paper cones in the stock speakers are factory speed items  ;)
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Troy Simkus

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2002, 08:46:53 pm »
was that the vlad special by any chance? :)

I dropped some jbl 6x9s in my rears a while ago, did make a huge difference, as for the doors just stock sized mb quarts, with some good quality power and a little sealing around the stock box things, it gives it a nice punch. I dont think you'll ever get good low end out of them, the locations suck, a nice 10 or even an 8 will do the job for filling that out though.

Power quality is of course #1, dont sacrifice quality for size.

As for speaker wire, i guess bigger is better, there'll be a minimum required depending on the power you're using, anything over that would be a waste of money i assume.

Offline Damian Zerr

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2002, 08:55:45 pm »
No vlad special for me, got it from the FS on Scott Road.

Anyway install is done, sounds feakin good. Now I can listen to my White Zombie CD at super high volume ;)
0PSI and 0 Knock

Troy Simkus

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2002, 10:24:56 pm »
no trouble getting the 6.5s in teh doors?

Offline Vlad Busta

• http://www.members.tripod.com/Busta-bc
Car Audio
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2002, 10:43:19 pm »
Guys, if it's ICE you want I can get it pretty cheap at Futureshop.  Just let me know the sku number and I can check for you.

Later, Vlad.
all go, no show!

Offline Aaron Moore

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2002, 11:21:31 pm »
Hey Vlad....

I was wondering if you get a reciept with the purchase (for insurance protection :x )
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
stereo crap
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2002, 12:31:45 am »
Ok, here's my setup...

-kenwood dualmag 5 1/4's in the doors
-Stock tweets up on the dash (yes, they're a bitch to replace and they work fine - so why screw w/ it)
-Pioneer 4way 6x9's in the back - but the moulding didn't fit nicely, so i took 'em out and left the stocks in there.
- 2xAlpine Type-S 12's (Dual voicecoils) in a custom fiberglass false-floor-like encloser.  

The subs put out enuff bass to compensate for the paper-shit-tickets in the rear pods. I turn all the bass off on the deck, boost the EQ for the subs and still push 155db (spl).  The quality of the mids and highs comming out of the door and rear pods is mediocre to ok.  But when you're hair is virbating and your eyes are watering from the spl, you don't really care about how clear your highs are ;).  The best question to ask yourself is this ... do you want perfect sound quality, or do you want window-shakin bass. You can have both, but it's usually a waste of money.

3rd car, 3rd system ... 6 competitions, 4 trophies.  161db with a spidered windshield is my watermark.

My two cents :)

-Andrew
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Troy Simkus

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2002, 12:38:23 am »
wow  :shock:

hehe i have my subs turned all the way down, just use em for fill

Offline Jay Drew

• http://members.shaw.ca/blackdsm/
1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2002, 01:02:51 am »
im happy with all my mirrors being useless they vibrate so much, but i cant even imagine would it would take to crack the glass, thats crazy
3.45 @ 101.8mph