Author Topic: Name this sound  (Read 655 times)

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
Name this sound
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:30:28 am »
Got this sound on a cold start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwi2i5OTAAQ

Noticed it yesterday on the first start, so this morning was ready to take a video, and got it.

I guess it's some belt. The water pump belt was replaced two days ago - could it be something wrong with it? If not that, what else?
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline Rob Armstrong

Re: Name this sound
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:37 am »
Tighten your alt and ps belts.
Lol if you can't diagnose this problem I suggest you sell your car now befor you have a real issue. Lol

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:27:33 am »
Tighten your alt and ps belts.
Lol if you can't diagnose this problem I suggest you sell your car now befor you have a real issue. Lol
I was looking for a second opinion. :)
Thanks for the confirmation!
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:06:40 pm »
Don't just tighten both, check which one has more slack.  (Google tensioning accessory belts.)  The trick I use is to attempt to turn the belt over in the middle of a run between the pulleys.  If you can easily go more than 90 degrees it has too much slack.  The correct way is to a use a device to measure deflection with a given force and compare that to the TFM.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 12:18:44 pm »
If you absolutely can't get rid of the squeel with tension just get a new belt. Could be badly glazed or contaminated with coolant. Clean your pulleys up nice, if you have dried coolant on them you want to scrub them clean with a good wire brush and some brake clean.
Probably just your tension though.
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:24:28 pm »
If you absolutely can't get rid of the squeel with tension just get a new belt. Could be badly glazed or contaminated with coolant. Clean your pulleys up nice, if you have dried coolant on them you want to scrub them clean with a good wire brush and some brake clean.
Probably just your tension though.
Yes, as I guessed that was the new drive belt, which was installed with the water pump. Apparently it got a bit loose.
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 07:52:21 pm »
its normal for a new belt to require re-tension after a few days... they "bed" in and then sit lower in the pully groves.

If you leave it too long squeeling the belt can glaze, which can cause a squeel even if the belt is tight.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Alex Pakhotin

• 1999 Eclipse GSX
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 08:07:07 pm »
its normal for a new belt to require re-tension after a few days... they "bed" in and then sit lower in the pully groves.
Yes, that's what I guessed. Kind of a break-in/fit-in period as for any new part.

If you leave it too long squeeling the belt can glaze, which can cause a squeel even if the belt is tight.
Yep. I don't want that for sure!
1999 Eclipse GSX

Offline Matt Feist

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 12:54:11 pm »
I had a shop but in the wrong sized belt and it made the exact same noise then would stop. Normally it would only happen when cold then go away.

Try tightening it up then if it persists get them to fix the issue with proper belts.
97 AWD TSi Talon,  Gun Metal.