Author Topic: Rear Differential Leaks  (Read 455 times)

Offline Kevin Altoe

Rear Differential Leaks
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:04:10 pm »
My rear differential is kind of a mess right now.  Had a very slow leak I have been putting off on the passenger side rear axle.  Now I have a moderate one on the pinion seal.  Ordered both.  Wondering what I have to do for both.  For the pinion, from what I understand I mark and un-bolt the driveshaft.  Remove the flange nut and replace the seal.  Then re-torque the nut to 150 ft/lb.  For the axle seal is there an easy way to pop the axle out with out separating the ball joints because I don't have a pickle fork at the moment.
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Offline Matt Vangaalen

• VangaBuilt
Re: Rear Differential Leaks
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:01:10 pm »
Take the bolt out of the spring fork to the control arm. Leave the axle in the hub assembly and pry out the axle you don't need to take the balljoints apart or even the alignment bolt. You should be able to swing the tire/axle out.
6 bolt short block (.02 over evo9 pistons). Straight cut oil pump gears. Ported 2g head and manifolds, GSC S1 cams(adjustable gears), undercut SS valves, bronze guides, Manley springs. Fp's Big T28, stock 02 into 2.5 downpipe, 3" from the flex section back. Apex'i N1 muffler. ETS fmic. 1g bov. 1g throttle body. 255lph pump. 660cc injectors. AFPR. SD on Link V3. 345 ft lbs 345 hp.

Offline Kevin Altoe

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:03:46 pm »
Take the bolt out of the spring fork to the control arm. Leave the axle in the hub assembly and pry out the axle you don't need to take the balljoints apart or even the alignment bolt. You should be able to swing the tire/axle out.

Awesome just what I wanted to hear.
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Offline Matt Vangaalen

• VangaBuilt
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:06:06 pm »
If you have to take the ball joints out loosen the nut and tap the arm with the joint attached. If that doesn't work turn the nut upside down thread it on and give it a wack.
6 bolt short block (.02 over evo9 pistons). Straight cut oil pump gears. Ported 2g head and manifolds, GSC S1 cams(adjustable gears), undercut SS valves, bronze guides, Manley springs. Fp's Big T28, stock 02 into 2.5 downpipe, 3" from the flex section back. Apex'i N1 muffler. ETS fmic. 1g bov. 1g throttle body. 255lph pump. 660cc injectors. AFPR. SD on Link V3. 345 ft lbs 345 hp.