Author Topic: No Compression on # 2  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Justin Imperial

• Galant VR4
No Compression on # 2
« on: August 23, 2012, 05:34:44 pm »
Hi, so I haven't had a chance to formally introduce myself yet.  I bought my first car just 3 months ago. Its A 1991 Galant VR-4. Its a Turbocharged 6bolt 4G63.  The motor was rebuilt just recently and has about 10,000 kms

- Wiseco 9.0:1 Compression Pistons
- Cometic Head Gasket
- New Main Crank Bearings
- ARP Head Studs
- The Head was Pressure Tested
- 16G Turbo
- Apexi AFC neo
- Apexi AVC-D Boost Controller

Anyways, when I got the car I had problems boosting over 10psi as it just kept sputtering.  Finally checked my spark plugs last week and noticed that it was gapped @ .50, changed it to .28 and I can happily boost 10 psi.

Just a couple of days ago, coming to a light it was idling very rough. Sounded like a wrx and was problem only firing on 2 cylinders.   Pulled over and noticed that # 2 plug wire popped out a bit.  Tried to remove the spark plug as I suspected that it wasnt firing but it was seized!  Towed the car home,. .  After some patience and wd40 I was able to get the spark plug out.  Threads were fuzed, and the the top was completely gone.  It looked like it just melted.

Ever since after replacing all the plugs the idle still has been very rough.  So far I've:

- Replaced all plugs
- Replaced Coil Pack & Plug Wires
- Checked MAF
- Checked ISC
- Replaced fuel filter
- Checked ECU (see photo below)

I think my spark issues are fixed, and now thinking it may be fuel related as the narrowband gauge shows that idles lean.  

Any other ideas on what to check?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:21:51 pm by Justin Imperial »

Offline Justin Imperial

• Galant VR4
Re: Rough Idle
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:48:04 pm »

Spark Plug:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:14:49 pm by Justin Imperial »

Offline andrew volcz

Re: Rough Idle / Running Lean
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:57:17 pm »
If you have acess to an obd reader, you could view your vitals at a glance to see if a sensor is not cycling properly.  It could be as simple as dying primary o2 sensor.

Offline Justin Imperial

• Galant VR4
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:14 pm »
Ya no ODB reader, unless anyone knows of a place that rents them out?

I checked the ECU. looks brand new and the caps look fine.  However, one of the daughter boards there has quite a few burned marks around the connection.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:17:07 am »
start with a quick compression test...  if u have a good miss at idle, consistantly, it should not take long to figure it out.

fuel/air + compression + spark = bang... as long as its timed correctly....

but looking at that plug being so melted, and the others were fine... (hard to tell cuz its out of focus, but i can see your pants, shirt, screwdriver, oily shop towel, dog (thanks for keeping your dog tied up, and not roaming the streets eating childrens blow up pools/toys btw), coffee cup, michelin  tire (minivan??), grv4 engine bay, driveway quite well)...................................Id say you have a bad injector/wiring probably.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:24:45 am by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Justin Imperial

• Galant VR4
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 11:51:25 am »
Bad news. Just did the compression test

1 - 190
2 - 0   :'( :'( :'(
3 - 190
4 - 190

Heres a pic of the plugs 1-4 left to right.  The # 2 plug is completely clean.  Used a stethoscope to check the injectors. All of em were clicking and seemed to be working.

What do you guys think... Bent Valve ?

better focus from the phone
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:16:31 pm by Justin Imperial »

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:47 pm »
Bad news. Just did the compression test

1 - 190
2 - 0   :'( :'( :'(
3 - 190
4 - 190

Heres a pic of the plugs 1-4 left to right.  The # 2 plug is completely clean.  Used a stethoscope to check the injectors. All of em were clicking and seemed to be working.

What do you guys think... Bent Valve ?

better focus from the phone

Could be a bent valve. Could be rings.

I'd pull the head off just to make sure now.
You're going to want to see that cylinder and valve in the open.
If you're not blowing blue - then its valve.
If you're blowing blue - rings / piston.

If its just a valve when you open it up. Replace valves and make sure your timing is spot on.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Justin Imperial

• Galant VR4
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 12:36:31 pm »
Could be a bent valve. Could be rings.

I'd pull the head off just to make sure now.
You're going to want to see that cylinder and valve in the open.
If you're not blowing blue - then its valve.
If you're blowing blue - rings / piston.

If its just a valve when you open it up. Replace valves and make sure your timing is spot on.

Thanks for the reply!

Its not blowing blue.

If its just the valve, do I have to take off the head, or can I just do it by taking out the cams and the valve cover

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 02:11:33 pm »
Prob not a bent valve... But more like a burnt out valve.

You have to remove the cylinder head to replace a valve.  Better figure out what caused it to burn up in the first place tho, so it doesn't happen again after u fix it all!!

Offline Justin Imperial

• Galant VR4
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 02:25:57 pm »
Prob not a bent valve... But more like a burnt out valve.

You have to remove the cylinder head to replace a valve.  Better figure out what caused it to burn up in the first place tho, so it doesn't happen again after u fix it all!!

Good point. If you look at the new spark plug. Its completely clean.  could it be possible that it was not getting any spark at all?

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: No Compression on # 2
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 04:27:43 pm »
Well if it had 0 compresiion then ur not going to get any "bang" in that cylinder...  The fuel will just wash the plug down and it will look nice and clean

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 11:57:05 pm »

Just a couple of days ago, coming to a light it was idling very rough. Sounded like a wrx and was problem only firing on 2 cylinders.   Pulled over and noticed that # 2 plug wire popped out a bit.  Tried to remove the spark plug as I suspected that it wasnt firing but it was seized!  Towed the car home,. .  After some patience and wd40 I was able to get the spark plug out.  Threads were fuzed, and the the top was completely gone.  It looked like it just melted.

Bad luck on number 2 cylinder....If it is bent valve (or burnt) you may want to check test that valve spring.
I strongly suggest you put anti-seize on your spark plugs.

92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 12:57:22 pm »
before you pull anything, do a leakdown test!

If its leaking past the rings, you need to do the rings and hone, if its leaking past an exhaust valve, you just have to pull the head and have the valve(s) replaced.  Of course you have to pull the head to do the rings anyways, but you can plan better if you know what you are doing ahead of time.

If the valve is burned and at those low boost levels(unless regular gas??), I would be suspicious of whoever put that head togeather.

Or, possibly a sticking/poor pattern injector was causing super lean on that hole.

Mine blew on #2 as well.  Took a chunk out of the piston right thru the upper ring land into the inside of the piston.

Oh, just had a thought, most times burned valves only give a very low compression reading, not a 0.  Leads me more to piston/ring damage, but it still could be 0 if both valves are more than a little burned.

And change the oil as it will have lots of fuel in it
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 06:55:47 pm »
x2 ;)
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 11:00:50 pm »
i have burned several valves out, on honda's and my champagne talon once.   All the times the compression tests netted 0 psi.  the gauge didnt even move at all!