Author Topic: Torque converter or what?  (Read 597 times)

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
Torque converter or what?
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:40:15 pm »
Here's the skinny

1995 TSi awd  Auto
 Torque converter?
 Computer?
 Transmission issue?? 

RPM won't go past 2000 with max speed of 20 kms/hr, shifts into second but can't get much more out of it.  Maybe a fail safe mode?  Engine runs and idles nice revs up great in neutral but put it in gear and I'm a little perplexed. 

Any ideas?

Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Robert Vorley

Re: Torque converter or what?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 05:52:54 pm »
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:06:14 pm »
unplug the TCU(after you check the fluid level) and try it.

you may have to manually shift it, not sure, and it will shift harshly, but it should go full revs.

if not I would suggest its in the tranny or converter.

unless of course the engine or turbo or engine management is having issues?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 06:10:38 pm »
fluid level seems ok.... no reading while not running but a little above the high mark with tranny hot, engine running, and in park.  Level Ground.

I'll try a couple of tests later after dinner.  Thanks so far.

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 08:49:56 pm »
OK round two of testing showed me a whole lot.  Tested TCU..... no change in performance.

By the way there were a few vacuum lines on the firewall that were disconnected previously, and already connected by me before any testing.....just background info.

Next I figured that I'd tighten up the loose connection to the BOV, and  >:( Holy F#$K, the main intercooler piping wasn't even connected.  The douche bags tightened the hell out of the hose clamp but it wasn't even attached to anything, just hanging in there, looking like it was on. 

After that I found another set of vacuum lines that are connected to the waste gate were also disconnected.  Oh my god!  And the poor guy who I bought this off, just paid nine hundred dollars to someone to install it.   :'(    Of course their diagnosis was "bad torque converter"  What bloody hacks.

Anyhow, the engine and tranny are running strong and fast now  ;D ;D ;D  Just a few details and sounds to figure out.  There is still the check engine light and a battery reset doesn't make it go away for long.  I guess it's time for an OBD scanner... Any good cheap ones out there?

Anybody wanna come over for a beer one of these nights and have a listen.  I need to learn a little more about the sounds and responsiveness of turbo engines, maybe I'll put a shout out in the lounge.

Can't wait to find out what else is wrong.  Oh well, I better start thinking about work for tomorrow.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:01:59 pm »
any dsm datalogger will pull the code for you.

yea, I guess, all the basics need to be covered and are assumed as covered when you are diagnosing something.  Tricky for us to help you when something like that is happening eh?  :)

If you want to come out to Chilliwack on Wed after work, I have a logger and know how to use it, so we can maybe get something worked out.

I work fairly cheaply too, so that can save you some money.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:49:07 am »
fluid level should be checked in neutral on level ground. does it start moving in 2nd gear? make sure that's what is happening, AKA limp mode.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 09:17:18 am »
Thanks Marke, mystery solved though.  I assumed too much.  Whoever did the tranny install for the previous owner (he said he paid a pro) didn't hook everything back up properly or at all.... see above.   Some pro!