Author Topic: cooling issues....  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
Re: cooling issues....
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 09:36:51 am »
You either have a leak  or your fan isnt moving enough air.  Are you sure its being triggered correctly? Is the shroud on your fan still good?

never been any coolant under the car.  shroud on fan has been sealed with aluminum tape. 
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 03:38:23 pm »
maybe the temp sensor or sending unit is going bad?
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 04:56:28 pm »
side note: i wonder how many peoples have oil cooling issues and never really know it, especially people running large fmics.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 06:54:02 pm »
yeah, not too many people are running oil temp on these cars...... its one of the most important things to engine longevity!!

i run the 1990 style air/air coolers on my 93 colt 4g63t, my evo, and all my talons i have had as well
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 08:13:48 pm »
I run two pusher fans period......Only a head gasket leak can make my coolant overflow.
I do notice one fan is not enough.

I had have this built stroker setup for three years so it works..
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 08:45:43 pm »
yeah, not too many people are running oil temp on these cars...... its one of the most important things to engine longevity!!

i run the 1990 style air/air coolers on my 93 colt 4g63t, my evo, and all my talons i have had as well

stupid 7 bolt water oil coolers don't work very well :|

just picked up an e3 oil filter housing and b&m 8an kit from extremepsi :) so i can start running my car a little harder.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:49:36 pm by kevin derhouson »
She lives.

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 09:39:39 pm »
I am happy with my b&m oil cooler.  I would recommend it if you keep the revs high or do hill climbs. Although making efficiency improvements, such as ducting, shrouds, or better rad/intercooler can bring enough benefit on their own to make it unnecessary except in special cases.

I deleted my a/c since the condenser really restricts flow once you add the fmic, plus it reduces front end weight in front of the axles which improves turn in.

Two fans are the way to go, although the factory 2g was pretty good until it started melting from the  heat off my tubular manifold. :)
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 11:03:18 pm »
oil temps are really something i've kept my eye on since purchasing my talon, i've watched how different mods to the car have altered them..

my condensors gone, all the ac bits are gone.. but with the 3.5 thick fmic core (even with the smaller greddy core my oil temps got fairly high), and the big aluminum rad in the way with factory shroud (not to mention that all these super heat dissipating bits may actually compound the problem.. in theory they're transferring more heat to ambient), and 1 aftermarket higher cfm fan (1200cfm just to help move air along) in the ac fan spot there just really isn't enough air flow through my engine bay..

oil temps for me are really the only problem and they are quite high.. luckily i don't drive my car very far.. but if i were to drive my car like i should my oil temps would spike..

even half assing it up to the hope slide at a gentle 120kmh cruise without much throttle i hit 250F coming out of the head.. ( i only run RP, checked the oil after the FVT.. i've never seen oil degradation from heat before, but my common sense and research is telling me that it would feel or look different than normal.. and it didn't thankfully). http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/989/fluid-degradation-causes

i'm confident though that this B&M setup will cure this though :)

my only concern is that with the air cool setup that the oil will take longer to warm up.. but i suppose thats part of the reason why its better to run synthetics, as they were invented for cold climate protection and startups higher heat handling characteristics are also helpful with this situation.

everyone that modifies their dsm really should have an oil temp gauge though :p

sorry for the partial derail jason, but this may very well be effecting you as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:17:17 pm by kevin derhouson »
She lives.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 05:28:48 pm »
not a bad idea.

Where are you guys putting your temp probe? 
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 07:38:36 pm »
depending on whether your turbos fed from the head or filter housing.. think the probe will fit easily in either location.
She lives.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 07:56:46 pm »
well if you are running the stock donut  91+ water/ oil cooler and your coolant temps are staying consistant, then its that crappy cooler's small surface area not being able to keep up with the higher oil temps that are common with higher boost, i wouldnt really think that the radiator or a/c condenser would have much to do with oil temps, as long as your coolant temps are staying consistant in the normal range..   Not really sure how much better the 1990 air/oil cooler really is then the 91+ one... but id be interested to see how much difference the 1990 (air/oil) cooler would make over the 92+|(water/oil)..  i would imagine going to custom AN lines and a larger core cooler would be the best option... its too bad that the 7 bolt doesn't have a option for stock air/oil cooler ports...  (besides the evo 1-3 housing)  the aftemarket bm sandwich adapter or a hks one or something like that seems like the best option...  coupled with custom lines/fittings and a large core positioned in its own airflow in the corner bumper air inlets would be my choice!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 07:59:04 pm »
going to a larger thicker FMIC had a huge impact on my average oil temps.. for cruise and boost.
She lives.

Offline Lowell Foo

• Racing Greed
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 11:15:25 pm »
Ditch the oil/water heat exchanger, it just dumps more heat into an already overstressed cooling system.  90 OFH, biggest and best core you can afford.  My cruising oil temps sit around 90C.

For the radiator, you need 2 fans with a FMIC.  And not those piece of crap skinny things that pull 6 amps. 
92 Laser AWD, 50 trim, 494whp
92 Talon AWD, 50 trim, 11.55 @ 127mph w/ 399whp.
90 Talon AWD, 11.40 @ 123 ~ 10 years ago.  Currently in storage.

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 12:01:45 am »
i've never seen oil degradation from heat before, but my common sense and research is telling me that it would feel or look different than normal.. and it didn't thankfully). http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/989/fluid-degradation-causes

I always get RG to do a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (NMR) to ensure my oil degradation is from natural causes.   :D

i wouldnt really think that the radiator or a/c condenser would have much to do with oil temps, as long as your coolant temps are staying consistant in the normal range..   

If the oils heat load is excessive, it will negatively impact your cooling systems total capacity.  The cooling system may be keeping up with rejecting the heat but that just means your system has to work harder than it should.  Making improvements in efficiency effectively increases that capacity, such as using a copper rad, or better rad design or improving air flow to avoid hot spots....     
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Allen fong

• Lying that my car fast since 1990
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 01:25:35 am »
[quote author=kevin derhouson link=topic=27268.msg239890#msg239890 date=

my only concern is that with the air cool setup that the oil will take longer to warm up.. but i suppose thats part of the reason why its better to run synthetics, as they were invented for cold climate protection and startups higher heat handling characteristics are also helpful with this situation.
[/quote]

My brother runs a inline temp valve that opens at 80C approx. not sure if it cycles or stays open! Anyways it works well in Alberta! No problem starting in -30 and warming up.
1993 1G AWD

SOLD:1998 Talon AWD E316G @ 25 psi, EVO 8 ECU with, HKS 272/272 cams, Walbro 255 + rewire, ACT 2100 with street disk, 3" exhaust no cat, Aeromotive FP regulator, EVO 3 Throttle Body, EVO 3 intake mani, 1000cc inj, GM 3bar map, PR FMIC, Aem Truboost, Aem Wideband, Devils Own Meth on progressive controller.