Author Topic: Giving up my dream  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Paul Epp

Giving up my dream
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:04:54 pm »
Well I'm finally throwing in the towel on resurrecting my '96 Talon TSi as a weekend race/autocross/rally car.  It was my second DSM after owning a 94 Laser FWD.
Cars are made to be driven, not parked.  So I have no idea what sort of job it would be now to bring it back to life.  But it’s well beyond the time and energy I have these days.
I first purchase it back in 2000, and after 5 awesome years parked it with a transmission problem, and bought myself a new 2004 RX-8.

My plan has been each year since to get it running again, fix the drivetrain issues, and use it as a weekend racer.  I always thought “next month” would be when I’d get the project started.

In the years since, I've gotten married and now have a son.  And still no garage.  Oh how life has changed since then..
So after years of taking up my underground parking spot, I've finally given up (no time, money or garage, or real mechanical skill) and given in (to the wife and family, “you still own that thing?”), and have to do something.

So I'm looking for advice.  

The interior and exterior are in great shape (it was almost entirely repainted in summer 2004, and has been kept inside since 2005).  The original engine & turbo had 160,000km on it.  BUT something in the drive train, transmission likely, had a catastrophic failure.  In early 2005 after a few weeks of REALLY bad noises, I barely made it home when it was last driven.  It’s almost entirely stock, with the only mods a 1G BOV, manual boost controller, and boost gauge.  And since then it has been parked (and towed once on a flatbed when I last moved.)

Since the day I drove my first DSM I loved them, and then fell in love again the day I first drove my turbo.  And even though I haven’t been active on this board I still feel like a member of the club..  I don’t know any current DSM’ers, nor can I even remember when I did a Fraser Valley Tour (2004? or was it 2003? Or 2002? So so long ago..)  But I do remember how much fun it was, and I like to still think of myself as part of this “club” of DSM fans..  And like many others, will be in one way or another for life.

So as I said, I’m looking for some advice.  Do I just google the local wreckers and get them to take it away.  Or is there something else I should do?

--

Edit: I may be listed as a Newbie since I only have a couple posts, but I'm not really new.. I've been a BCDSM member since March 2004. And NWDSM before that. (plus the Talon Digest back in the day of course)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:09:36 pm by Paul Epp »

Offline Matt Vangaalen

• VangaBuilt
Re: Giving up my dream
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:24:20 pm »
Please done give it to the wreckers...most wreckers I know of crush cars that are more then 10 yrs old, I would hate to see such a big part of my life be turning into scrap metal! If I don't buy it from you someone will. Keep these dreams out of the hands of evil wreckers that just want to make a cube of scrap metal money.
6 bolt short block (.02 over evo9 pistons). Straight cut oil pump gears. Ported 2g head and manifolds, GSC S1 cams(adjustable gears), undercut SS valves, bronze guides, Manley springs. Fp's Big T28, stock 02 into 2.5 downpipe, 3" from the flex section back. Apex'i N1 muffler. ETS fmic. 1g bov. 1g throttle body. 255lph pump. 660cc injectors. AFPR. SD on Link V3. 345 ft lbs 345 hp.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:41:45 pm »
Hey Paul

I've had my project Talon(s) sitting for years too now so I understand all the mixed emotions that go with that but I agree with Matt.  Don't send it to the wrecker.  It might be quick and easy but you'll get $100 tops and it'll probably get crushed.  Post it for sale and hopefully someone with the time and energy will take it on and get it back on the road.  You should be able to get a good deal more than $100 if it's in good physical shape. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Markus Johnson

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:16:04 pm »
Post it up! I'm sure there would a lot of interest on here for it. PLEASE do not send it to the wreckers.
Multiplicity of DSMs

Offline Calvin Ng

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:03:27 pm »
you will get 160 bucks from the wreckers or a 300 bus pass allowance. I requested a quote for my colt

Dont give up, i regret selling my colt, tried calling the new owner a while back, no replies! :(

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 03:52:55 am »

I first purchase it back in 2000, and after 5 awesome years parked it with a transmission problem, and bought myself a new 2004 RX-8.

My plan has been each year since to get it running again, fix the drivetrain issues, and use it as a weekend racer.  I always thought “next month” would be when I’d get the project started.

In the years since, I've gotten married and now have a son.  And still no garage.  Oh how life has changed since then..
So after years of taking up my underground parking spot, I've finally given up (no time, money or garage, or real mechanical skill) and given in (to the wife and family, “you still own that thing?”), and have to do something.

So I'm looking for advice.  

The interior and exterior are in great shape (it was almost entirely repainted in summer 2004, and has been kept inside since 2005).  The original engine & turbo had 160,000km on it.  BUT something in the drive train, transmission likely, had a catastrophic failure.  In early 2005 after a few weeks of REALLY bad noises, I barely made it home when it was last driven.  It’s almost entirely stock, with the only mods a 1G BOV, manual boost controller, and boost gauge.  And since then it has been parked (and towed once on a flatbed when I last moved.)

If the interior/exterior are great shape and low kms you should keep it..Mechanical issues are minor when you look at the big picture.
and it is far easily to keep if it is running. Make the investment to keep it.

I am recently married (2nd time) with financial issues so no money for the car (but it runs goods) but I know things will always change. You should always have something you like that is yours or you won't feel right.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:58:58 am by daniel Dee »
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Paul Epp

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 12:16:30 pm »
you will get 160 bucks from the wreckers or a 300 bus pass allowance. I requested a quote for my colt

Dont give up, i regret selling my colt, tried calling the new owner a while back, no replies! :(

Hey Calvin!  Unless you are a different Calvin Ng, it was actually at your place of work that you hooked me up to get the car (mostly) repainted back in 2004.  Nice to see that you are still around too.

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 07:53:04 pm »
so what are you doing with the car paul.  I just finished resurrecting my 93 Laser from a 3 year stasis.  I am always looking for something new to fix, let me know what you want to do.  I've always been partial to the 1g's, most likely due to the fact that I have never had a 2g.  Decisions, decisions, decisions...  

BTW.... Is it manual :) or auto.  :-[
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Kevin Yue

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 10:00:51 pm »
Sell it for cheap or part it out. Either way, you'll get back more than the crushers. Maybe one day you can get back into a DSM, this ones probably not worth the trouble though.
'95 Talon TSi AWD - Daily driver
'84 Corvette C4 - For Sale

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 11:17:33 pm »
Maybe one day you can get back into a DSM, this ones probably not worth the trouble though.

Why do you say that?  If it's in good condition inside and out and just needs a transmission it's a perfect candidate to get fixed and back on the road by someone with the skills and time to do that tranny swap. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 07:21:46 am »
Sell it as a rolling shell with unknown motor / tranny condition.

If the exterior is in good condition, you can net a good few hundred bucks or more.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Loré Arens

• 1999 Silver Eclipse GS-T
    • BCs Cottonwood Industries
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:40:37 pm »
Come up with a price, I know Jana is looking for one since the FVT
When I brought her with me ;D
1999 Silver American GS-T Eclipse

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 10:34:18 pm »
Paul??? 
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Markus Johnson

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 07:15:49 pm »
The vultures are circling...
Multiplicity of DSMs

Offline Kevin Yue

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:37:28 am »
Maybe one day you can get back into a DSM, this ones probably not worth the trouble though.

Why do you say that?  If it's in good condition inside and out and just needs a transmission it's a perfect candidate to get fixed and back on the road by someone with the skills and time to do that tranny swap. 

Not worth the trouble for him in his current situation.
'95 Talon TSi AWD - Daily driver
'84 Corvette C4 - For Sale