Author Topic: Summer driving tire suggestions  (Read 1551 times)

Offline CamWeiss

Re: Summer driving tire suggestions
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »
Can't afford tires right now anyway, but thanks for the offer Drew!

If you take the whole car down, pick up the tires and have them mounted on the car while you're down there I bet Customs would be none the wiser (as long as you take the receipt off the passenger seat :D )
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 09:48:52 pm »
A guy at work had his tire codes checked because they appeared new.  Crossing guards aren't normally hired because they ignore the obvious.  You may want to pick a rainy day if you do give it a try. Gl.
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 10:33:16 pm »
do some big fucking burnouts on your new tires, then bring them across.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 08:38:20 pm »
Probably means date of manufacture, as it's stamped on the sidewall.

That said, new tires doesn't mean you bought them down there!

Guess it depends on the guard you get. There's a ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, and the US gaurds are not exactly uptight. The Canadian guards are downright lax.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 09:40:34 pm »
Yes the DOT does include when and WHERE it was manufactured.   http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=172 

The onus is on the owner to provide proof that they were purchased outside of the US, if proof is requested.  Hey the worst that could happen if you are caught is seizure of the vehicle and possible jail time but since that probably never happens why worry about it.  ;)
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 01:44:15 am »
Just drive through some mud puddles,  then take them rock crawling.   A few fwd one tire fires after all that should do the trick haaha
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 08:42:15 am »
couldn't you just pay the duty at the border?  Still cheaper than buying them here.  Especially in expensive tires.

WTF you supposed to do if you are down there and you damage one or more tires beyond repair?  Tow the thing from Portland all the way to Abbotsford?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 02:35:33 pm »
I'm not sure why everyone is so afraid of paying duty.  For one thing on any smaller items <$300 they generally don't bother with duty, many times you'll get assessed the HST... Big deal, you pay HST every single time you buy something here. 

As for duty yea it's ridiculous on some things, like liquor and tobacco, sure, maybe that's where the fear comes from but on other stuff it's not that bad.  I was looking at appliances and a fridge made outside of NAFTA is 8%, add the 12% HST and you're 20% extra, so if you happen to be saving 40% you're still ahead.  Made in Mexico or the US?  No duty at all, just the tax. 

I don't know the duty on tires but if they're made inside of NAFTA it should be 0%. 

I haven't bought tires across the line yet, my next set will be I think.  Tirerack advertises shipping to Canada with all taxes, duty, brokerage and shipping paid up front.  I just ran thru a set of 4 Goodyear Integrity in 225/60/16:  They're $85 each and $187 to ship and then $85 in HST and brokerage and provincial tire disposal fees.  $613 total to my door.  Or about $137 per tire plus tax and disposal fee if you compare to local prices.  It showed no duty so those tires must be made in the US or Mexico probably.  Keep in mind you have to add mount and balance at probably $80/set. 

You can likely save more if you ship them to a depot across the line and import them yourself.  Plus that's without shopping around.  For my truck tires Discount Tire Direct keeps coming up cheaper than TireRack when you factor in the shipping.  Then there's that 1010 tires and some smaller ones. 

DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 03:43:22 pm »
I know my parents picked up a 5th wheel down there. Paying all fees it was 12k less still.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 05:45:09 pm »
Plus, what are they gonna do if you are in the states and blow a couple of tires?

Make you tow it from Oregon to Abbotsford?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods