Author Topic: WTB - 1g coil pack  (Read 824 times)

Offline Jordan Kruger

WTB - 1g coil pack
« on: May 31, 2012, 06:15:10 pm »
Im having a bit of a misfire issue with cylinder 1. Ive changed wires and the plug in cyl 1.   When I pull the plug wire off cylinder 1, there is no change in rpm.   Ive even swapped the injectors around to rule out the misfire being from the injectors.

Tell me what youve got!  thanks :)
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Robert Vorley

Re: WTB - 1g coil pack
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:26:46 pm »
Just out of curiosity what ignition box are you going to use for your high boost runs?
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 06:39:19 pm »
Im running stock ignition. Havent had any issues other than coils going on me once before

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 06:58:57 pm »
I have one, Jordan. $40
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:32:03 pm »
on a 4g63 dsm, if you have a coil go bad, you will usually have a 2 cyl missfire.  Its wastespark, meaning one coil fires 2 cylinders at the same (theres two coils total for 4 cylinders)so if one cylinders not sparking... the spark will not get to the other cylinder either (usually).

I would  If you are getting a miss... is it a constant miss?  at idle?   You could simply put a spark tester inline on that cylinder and moniter it while the missfire occurs... if you got spark... well sorry to say but your problem is elsewhere.   

Im thinking more along the lines of this..

Burnt out valve
Bad cylinder/rings/pistons
Bad injector/wiring to injector  (use a stethascope and listen to the cylinder in question.  if you hear a tapping noise from that injector chances are its firing OK...  essepcially if all the other cylinders sound similar. 
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:50:45 pm »
Thanks for all the info.    Ill do a compression test tomm, but there should be no reason for a bent valve or bad ring.  The car has been sitting and ran mint when I parked it.  I changed cams, and was sure to bleed all the lifters. The only valve I touched was #4 intake valve. The retainer didnt want to come loose so I gave up right away haha. The problem is with cyl 1 tho.    Could be the injector pigtail is pooched. Ill try my spare coilpack (that I think may be toast) and ill post up my findings. I mayy take that marke  :)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:46:09 pm »
yeah or a bad spark plug wire maybe....

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:21:02 pm »
Thanks for the info Brett.  I ended swapping out my Crower 272 cams and putting my regrinds back in.  I HONESTLY dont know why the hell the valves werent closing. I bled the shit out the lifters when I did the cam install.   With the Crower cams in I was making SUPER low compression.
So I put my regrinds back in (without thinking about rebleeding every lifter) And now my car runs fine. 165psi across all 4 cylinders.
If you dont bleed your lifters completely, the valves WILL stay open.  :-\ grr

So Im going to take the Crowers to colt cams and have him look at them and see if they are within spec. And perhaps it was just my error.
Either way, the car runs good and the trans feels nice with awsome clutch engagement. Should be good  :)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:50:05 pm »
hrmm.. my guess would be that the problem is not with the cams, but more with the valves, or valve seats.   I have seen valves tulip when they get really hot, which ends up causing the valve to get longer (it actually pulls the stem, which attaches to the head of the valve inwards)...  also the valve seats can wear out (not as common, essepcially with the super hard mitsu seats).  Also cutting your valves, or valve seats will also increase the "installed" hieght of the valve. aesnd you have to compensate for this by grinding down the end up the valve stem down to get the correct insalled hight.  thing is you cant grind too much down so it eliminates the "margine" (tapered bit at the end of the stem)  I have also seem people grind/machine the bottom of the lifter body down to allow for more clearance as well.  Doug Almond did this on his 2G when a valve had been regound a bit too much, and he had the same problem as you. (valve wasnt closing)  It worked great AFAIK.

All these things will cause the valve stem to sit up higher inside the valve cover and once the cams and lifters are installed, the lifters have only so much "slack" and they will bottom out and the valve wont close.

By putting in regrinds, it aleviates the problem of excessive installed height, due to the low point in the lobe being grinded down....  thats probably why the crower 272 make the valve open, and the regrinds didnt.  

I remember you having problems with lifters ticking really bad, which you ended up fixing my shimming the lifters, but not ALL the lifters???  these seems wierd.

I would check the installed hieght of the valves in the head... i bet you will find that a valve in cyl #1 has excessive installed hieght... which is why the valve wont close

now just to confirm... you did remove all the shims under the lifters before you installed the crower 272's right???

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:55:37 pm by Brett Haviland »

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 11:08:46 pm »
I have one at Rg if they can find it for yea 20 bones. Cash to me after pick up. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »
Yea   I took out all the shims.  And I understand all the factors that go into the valve height. I honestly think that maybe I didnt bleed the lifters enough.     You may be right about there being a height difference between certain valves in the head (that maybe someone did work on). Ill be sure to get the tolerances measured up before I put new cams in, or try to run the crowers again. Ill also get the damn crower valve springs in too. :p
Im just stoked that I was able to get the motor running and at full compression again. Thought maybe a few bent valves were the problem  :-X

Going to hit the RG Dyno very soon. Maybe next sat.  

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 12:59:04 am »
I honestly think that maybe I didnt bleed the lifters enough.    

You dont HAVE to bleed the lifters.... they will bleed down on there own after a hour or so of being installed under pressure.

The only time you have to bleed them is if you are installing cams/lifters/rockers and have to start the engine very soon afterwards and do not have the time to bleed down on there own.

So if you left the engine sitting for more then a couple hours after installing the cams.....(wasnt it days actually??) then thats more then enough time to let the lifters bleed down, and should have no factor in making the valve not close..  (unless the lifter was siezed up

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 07:19:44 am »
I had the crower cams in for a couple weeks! the lifters had plenty of time to adjust.  I think the lash adjusters bleed only while running tho...  Seeing as once I started to had crank the engine, I got 40psi compression in cylinder 1.   It started at ZERO compression.  Im going to take the cams to Colt Cams and have him look at them and tell me if they are ok to run. Or maybe they are out of spec.  Point is, ill never rely on the lifters to bleed themselves. Especially going to regrinds where you change their clearances by shimming each one. Its just worth it to bleed'em

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 07:25:02 pm »
uhhhh lash adjusters and lifters are the same thing AFAIK.... ???

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 07:30:06 pm »
yup..