Author Topic: Rear Diff questions.. Swap info.  (Read 502 times)

Offline Markus Johnson

Rear Diff questions.. Swap info.
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:52:59 pm »
I have a 3 bolt open auto rear diff and a 4 bolt LSD 5 spd rear diff. Is it possible to combine them to = a 4 bolt auto rear?
Multiplicity of DSMs

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
Re: Rear Diff questions.. Swap info.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:16:36 am »
my first thought is different gears ... so iffy.  very iffy.
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »
no. the gear ratio's are different and using the wrong one will burn up the viscous coupler or transfer case. use the one intended for your drivetrain. If you need a 4 bolt auto rear, I can sell you one.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Markus Johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »
I figured it was a long shot, I was hoping there was some way to change the internals over from the lsd 4bolt while maintaining the auto rear ratios.
Multiplicity of DSMs

Phil Maki

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 03:30:28 pm »
i'm betting you'd be able to swap the auto ring and pinion over to the 4 bolt diff.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 04:18:59 pm »
i'm betting you'd be able to swap the auto ring and pinion over to the 4 bolt diff.

I started to wonder that myself after I posted.

In truth the 3/4 bolt thing has nothing to do with the diff. Its the axles-trailing arms that you are concerned about. If you can swap the ring and pinion from the open auto to the LSD then you would have a 3 bolt auto LSD.

I have everything you need for sale, If you want to go 4 bolt. why not just sell what you have and buy the correct unit? $250 for auto LSD diff, axles, and sub frame!
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 05:34:17 pm »
buy Markes.

Doing a ring and pinion swap is tricky as you have to set a couple of critical clearances.  If you frig it up, its gonna be noisy at best, and possibly you will break it.

And its not just like a torque spec, its more of an art kinda thing.  I've done a few, and a couple at school, and I still feel super leary when I have to do them.  I've seen experienced guys have whiny diffs after rebuilds.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods