Author Topic: Delicious Delicious topmount  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Carl Gould

Delicious Delicious topmount
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:10:16 pm »
My Shearer Fab topmount arrived today so I threw the turbo on and snapped a few pics. Hopefully it'll be in the car by this time next month

Still need to get a turbo blanket and have the compressor housing powdercoated.
97 TSi AWD - Winter 2010 Will-it-ever-be-finished Project

Offline Richard Steger

Re: Delicious Delicious topmount
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 06:05:22 am »
Why not skip the turbo blanket and get Sheela to thermal barrier coat both hot and cold sides of the turbo?
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Carl Gould

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:28:40 am »
Why not skip the turbo blanket and get Sheela to thermal barrier coat both hot and cold sides of the turbo?

How effective is that coating versus a thermal blanket? I have a carbon fiber hood so I want to minimize the amount of heat it sees. I'll also be putting some DEI Reflect A Gold tape on the underside of the hood.

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:59:19 pm »

+1
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Sheela krasnuik

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:12:31 pm »
Very nice Carl!

To answer your question, they are both effective in their own way.  A thermal barrier should not be used alone as a top coat because its heat rating is lower than a high temp coating.  You can flowcoat the thermal barrier inside a set of pipes or use it as a base coat under a high temp ceramic.  Doing a dual stage application gives you a heat rating of 2200*F.  I have thermal based only the inside of Harley pipes keeping the pipe cooler to the touch. Harley pipes are beautiful left alone.

The only thing to consider when using a blanket or wrap is that it holds in the heat making condensation, this condensation over time pits the metal and eats away at it.  I have seen many turbine housings and manifolds from members on this forum that have switched from wraps to ceramic that have been badly pitted.

Many manufacturers of turbine housings or manifolds will void their warranty if you use a wrap or blanket.

Ceramic coating with a Thermal barrier is designed to dissipate the heat faster keeping under hood temps cooler.  You need to move that heat around, not have hot spots under the hood.
In lab testing we used one uncoated pipe vs one coated pipe with a thermal barrier. Burner temps at 1112*F the uncoated pipe had a temp of 900*F. The pipe that was coated had a temp of 770*F.  You should be able to touch those pipes without causing severe burns within minutes of shut-down.

Regardless of what you choose to do, this is a personal preference, make sure that the coater that you get understands what coating to use when building horse power and tuning.  After doing a build your car does not always start up and stay idling and everything is wonderful. You will have spikes in temps while the car starts and stalls, make sure that the coating can hold its own under these conditions. 
I have had a few DSM’s come in with coating that only lasted a few hours after running.

Also, powder coating insulates it does not dissipate.  Powder coating the cold side of the turbo is great if all areas around it are kept at a lower temp. Powder coating will start to melt at cure temperatures (385*-400*) There is allot of radiant heat under our hoods.

Hope this helps.
"I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce"

Offline Andreas Zervas

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:25:56 pm »
Before you install it make sure yours was welded properly. Mine wasn't.
2.4L gt42r AWD spyder

Offline Lowell Foo

• Racing Greed
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 07:18:12 pm »
Before you install it make sure yours was welded properly. Mine wasn't.

What was the issue with yours?
92 Laser AWD, 50 trim, 494whp
92 Talon AWD, 50 trim, 11.55 @ 127mph w/ 399whp.
90 Talon AWD, 11.40 @ 123 ~ 10 years ago.  Currently in storage.

Offline Andreas Zervas

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 06:55:41 pm »
Some of the welds were contaminated. Not sure how bad. Was what I was told
2.4L gt42r AWD spyder

Offline Carl Gould

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »
Looks even better with wastegates

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 07:09:49 pm »
Looks great man.    Is it a twin scroll setup?
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Carl Gould

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 05:42:45 pm »
Looks great man.    Is it a twin scroll setup?

It is indeed. This turbo needs all the help it can get with spooling haha

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 05:15:52 pm »
it looks great and I know Shearer makes good stuff, but wow it looks weak having to hold up that ginormous turbo...
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 06:18:03 pm »
Yea, ide be inclined to brace the hell out of the turbo to the block. Ive been planning to brace mine from below, so It cant swing on the flange welds That happened with my current tubular manifold which i had re welded. And I have a lighter turbo and shorter runners.  :-\
Hopefully the welds have penetrated well and can handle the abuse.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 07:50:36 pm »
yah a good solid steel bar/pipe that went to the front bellhousing bolt or something would do tons to brace that mutha and help the manifold hold together through abuse and vibrations.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 12:37:10 am »
yah a good solid steel bar/pipe that went to the front bellhousing bolt or something would do tons to brace that mutha and help the manifold hold together through abuse and vibrations.
My topmount has held my BWs366 for a few years now without any cracking...but I still wonder if the head is holding too much turbo/manifold weight. Maybe the exhaust system is bracing the setup by holding up the down pipe.
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner