Author Topic: Ideas for a new clutch for my baby  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Loré Arens

• 1999 Silver Eclipse GS-T
    • BCs Cottonwood Industries
Ideas for a new clutch for my baby
« on: December 17, 2011, 10:01:06 pm »
Seems like my baby may need a new clutch,
Would like to know what are some of the brands that you would recommend.

I have some minor upgrades to the engine: like a 16g turbo, intercooler.

So if I have to replace the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel, I would like to upgrade it to the next level.

My car has always been a little hard to shift, so anything else I get will be a blessing.

Thanks for the input.
1999 Silver American GS-T Eclipse

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
Re: Ideas for a new clutch for my baby
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 10:27:26 pm »
I run a street lite flywheel with act2100 plate and sprung 6 puck -all ACT stuff. Very drive able and reportedly good to 350-400.

There are others on the board who have run this rig as well   Yet others have severe antipathy to ACT.  All I can tell ya is my experience.  

I'm in Abby so if you want to give it a try just let me know.

1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 11:34:12 pm »
+1 Jason,  the lighter flywheel is always nice.  If you aren't planning on maxing the 16g you could just use a street disk rather than the 6 puck, but the sprung 6 puck isn't that hardcore.  :)

I finally got a short shifter from RTM.  The cheap $40 one....and you get what you pay for but with some shimming it actually works.  Although the $80 one might not require shimming?  In addition, the shifter base bushings and shifter cable bearing upgrades are cheap and can improve the feel.
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Loré Arens

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:53:52 am »
Jason - thanks for the info.

Eventually I want to put my Eclipse on the track, but at the moment I am just enjoying my car.
Upgrading it a little at a time.

I want to have all the upgrades to work well together.
I just don't want to throw stuff together and hope and pray that it will work.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 05:08:23 pm »
For a real street car that has to be driven alot in traffic and used as a car all the time, not just for fun, I suggest the CFDF.  Its held my engines power and held up fine on a few of Lowells builds in 11 second cars.  Until you actually make more power and torque than that, its a great street clutch.

I have driven it in downtown Vancouver many times, downtown Portland Oregon, downtown Seattle, rushour  Seattle traffic etc.  Its like driving a stock clutch for the most part.  Its a WEE bit stiffer but only a little bit.

Get an aluminum flywheel to go with it, for whatever reason they work well togeather.

And, on this topic, being that Lores car is fwd, I would suggest it wouldn't even need more than that for even more power unless you were going to run slicks and do lots of drag racing, because if the clutch can hold many awd launches it can hold fwd launches.  The tires just go up in smoke if you overdo the launch.

And not that there is anything wrong with the sprung 6puck combo(I will probably go with that when I over power the CFDF) but I have driven one and its definately not the same as driving a stocker or a stock like clutch.  Its not bad, but its not the same either.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 05:19:38 pm »
how about a stock replacement unit?

it doesnt sound like Lore plans to track it every weekend and for most 16g setups works fine (imo), not to mention shes FWD.

a stock clutch could have less life if you plan on frequently "tracking"

Offline Loré Arens

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:56:30 pm »
Thanks Andrew, but I do not want stock.

I am looking to upgrade it,
and when the time comes it will be at the track all the time.

;D

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:13:06 pm »
when you change your clutch invest in some urethane engine/tranny mounts, will help w/ wheel hop issues being FWD and they're the best bang for the buck upgrade that i've done.. cheap and easy.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 08:15:54 pm »
Go with an ACT2100 pressure plate,  and if I were you ide run a kevlar full faced sprung disk. thats perfect for your setup and power goals.  Its a definite step up from stock   and will still be very streetable.

Ide also recommend upgrading your fork and pivotball too.  The revised fork is way beefier!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:17:51 pm by Jordan Kruger »
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 08:56:08 pm »
I'm now running a TMZ full kevlar disc with their standard pressure plate and an X-ACT flywheel.  I've been very impressed so far and in terms of street manners it is on par with the CFDF but I haven't used it at the track yet.

Offline Loré Arens

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 09:12:24 pm »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts,

Now all we have to do is take it apart to see what happened......... :D

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 09:27:05 pm »
I would get the Centerforce Duel Friction personally...  they hold up great and seem to last a long time.  I have ran them in a couple of my DSM's and they worked awesome. 

If your going to go ACT i would recomend the 2100 lb pressure plate with the street disk for a FWD turbo DSM.

I would stay away from the 6 puck disk if its going to see a lot of street/daily driving still.  From my personal experience you get a bit of chatter on engagment and also they dont seem to last as long with street driving all the time.  The disk is made out of a material that is harder then the flywheel/pressure plate and it wears out those surfaces pretty quick.  I found that a 6 puck clutch setup would last around 15 000 km's of hard street and some track driving before the flywheel wore down so much that it reduced the clamping force and the clutch would slip at high boost....

A clutch disk with a softer friction surface (like the CF DF, or ACT street disk) will last longer in a street driven car and you could expect more like OEM clutch life... 100 000 + km's.   The only downfall is when you start making big power or have a AWD (which you dont) the street disk will not grab as well as a 6 puck disk will.

CF DF or ACT 2100 w/ street disk.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:32:57 pm »
I had a mild build in a 98 awd, evo 3 intercooler etc. I had the act 2100 with a street disk and stock flyhweel and it did very well for what I used it for. I was commuting with that setup and it was not hard to drive in traffic. My skyline now has a twin plate and I would rather swallow a dagger than drive it in heavy traffic.

Offline Loré Arens

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 11:07:41 pm »
Just wanting to know if anyone here has purchased anything from DSM.com?
Are they any good, prices reasonable

What do you think about the ACT2600, instead of the 2100?

I am looking for a new flywheel as well, any of these advisable?
Fidanza Light-Weight Flywheel - DSM Turbo 90-99 - anyone using one?
Competition Clutch Flywheel - 2G DSM FWD, or ACT XACT Light Flywheel - DSM Turbo 90-99?

Thanks again for any info

Loré

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 08:09:50 am »
I would suggest against the 2600 for your application.  Being that you are not going too wild on the build and that you are fwd, I say that the 2600 is not only hard on your driving, but hard on crank thrust bearings leading to crankwalk.

the fidanza flywheel is known to be good, used by lots.  I have no information on the CC flywheel.

Never used or really heard of DSM.com 
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods