Author Topic: wastegate boost level only with Ecmlink and electronic boost control....  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
So I'm running ecmlink v.3, and using electronic boost control via the factory BCS.  However, I am not able to get boost levels beyond wastegate - 8psi.

With my hearing I can't tell if the BOV is blowing off or if the wastegate is releasing, but I am starting boost at just over 2000rpm, hitting full boost just at or after 3500rpm and it stays rock solid at 8psi once it gets there.  I don't think that the problem is that the engine or turbo can't build boost - I am pretty sure that the wastegate is opening.

I have things setup this way:

there is a vacuum line from the throttlebody T'ed into a line from the BCS to the wastegate. 
there is a welding tip (.024) spliced in the line from the throttle body to the T to act as a boost restrictor or a "boost pill".
the other side of the BCS is free-balling.

AFAIK, the BCS is normally open. When the engine is running, the BCS is closed, and opens only when instructed by the ECU. When the BCS is closed, the wastegate is pressurized by the line from the throttlebody.  Ecmlink utilizes the BCS to bleed off pressure from the pressurized line in order to retard the opening of the wastegate. With ecmlink, that allows it to act as electronic boost control.

However in my case, whether the parameters in ecmlink for the BCS are set to nothing (wastegate pressure) or high (should result in 16+psi), the end result is the same - 8psi max boost.

Only thing I can think of is that the BCS is not opening.  Thoughts? Suggestions?
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline John Hartman

Re: wastegate boost level only with Ecmlink and electronic boost control....
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:09:53 pm »
try connecting the vacuum lines the other way around?

Sorry, not sure about ECMLink.  Maybe Scott G? 

The wastegate needs pressure to open, so to open the ECU needs to have the solenoid allow pressure from the source(intake manifold) to get to the wastegate diaphragm.

To test the rest of the system, (turbo, intake, exhaust etc), just run a vacuum line from manifold pressure straight to the wastegate.  Stock style wastegate should open around 8-10 psi, but with a 3" exhaust it will probably creep up higher.

most 16g actuators are a couple of pounds higher so you should see 10 or so psi.

Then I would put in a manual controller and see if it can raise boost normally.

If not, you have to figure out what is mechanically causing low boost.  Usually either an issue with the turbo or an exhaust restriction, but it can also be an intake restriction(rag in the airbox etc), or a huge loss of boost somewhere.  You won't notice it on SD as it will still run fine.  Remember you did ding your intercooler on the curb at my shop that one day?  If you split a weld or something that would account for it.  I just did a quick visual inspection as we were on the clock, but you should do a boost leak test.

If boost raises normally with a manual controller, figure out the solenoid and the 'Link issue
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 07:55:50 pm »
i dont think the stock BCS can allow higher then 10-11 psi on a stockish exhuast with a car.  Even with the BCS fully open it will only hit like 11 MAX... unless your getting creep from a catless 3" exhuast, which you wont see till aroiund 5000 RPM anyways...

there is a mod where you take out the small restrictor inside the 1G BCS and it should allow a bit more air to bypass and maybe get 12-13 psi of boost.  i think its on VFAQ.

Realistically if you want to get more then 11-12 psi your going to have to either go with a MBC (ball and spring style work great) of get some sort of other EBC valve that can work with DSM link (if there is any)..  personally i installed/learned/tuned a Apexi AVCR boost controller which worked awesome.. up till around 28-30 psi of boost where it didnt seem to have enough resolution to be able to steadily control the boost.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:55:29 pm »
You probably want to get a real boost control solenoid if you are going to do boost control with ECMLink. 

http://www.ecmtuning.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=54

I have no experience using the factory one and didn't even try.  I picked up that one and so far it is working fine with my external gate.

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:03:59 pm »
As it turns out the answer is simple - I'm an idiot.  In the ecmlink config there are two sets of value to be adjusted and I was only adjusting one set.  That one set is the target value but does not actually do anything, a point the documentation is a little confusing on....

once I adjusted the proper set of values the system started working as it should.

Currently I am topping out at 18psi.  Building boost at about 2800, max boost at about 3900.  I think my bov is leaking now, so next step is a crush or the dodge mod....
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com