Author Topic: Wiring Spal Fan  (Read 394 times)

Offline Jason Gilbert

Wiring Spal Fan
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:00:06 pm »
Looking to wire in my new spal fan. I have 2 wires from old fan to car, and another 2 wires from old fan to sensor. I read a tech article on this showing to use a relay to have the fan operate as the original. Is this required, or, is there a way to splice wires to have it work OEM style?

Right now Im thinking Ill need the relay, and, that there is some relay built in to the oem.

Anyone with experience on a 1G with stock ecu on this?

This is the main passengers side fan.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: Wiring Spal Fan
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:44:49 pm »
Yeah just hook it up to run like a stock fan..  If your wiring is all cut up and not really identifiable anymore... just go to pick a part and cut the fan wiring out of one of there harnesses there.. also 2000GTX and some colts use the same style fan control.

Pretty much the stock fan used the two wire temp sensor to activate the OEM relay...  I guess you could easily wire one up using a normal Bosch 4/5 pin relay...

You will have your 12v from battery to the relay.... then 12v going out to the fan (only when turned on by the temp sensor).  then the control circuit will be the temp sensor.  When the temp sensor completes the circuit at the set temperature then the relay will activate and send the 12v out to the fan.  THe other fan wire goes to ground.   Im sure the OEM circuit fan setup works this way so if your wiring is all there its just a matter of finding out which wires are which and hooking them up.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 08:56:12 pm »
Thanks Brett. I figured there must be a relay of some sorts inside the oem fan.

Wiring is in good shape, so no problems there. Ill pick up a relay.

On the comical side, I put in a new alum. rad, and wanted to fit the stock fan. I carefully cut away the shroud, so proud of myself that I made it fit.

After warmup, the fan came on and tried to eat the turbo output elbow! I forgot to swing the blade around to check for clearance!

Good thing I ordered that slim one!
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:06:07 pm »
no the relay is not inside the fan... its in the passenger side fuse/relay box!! haha  You should still have it!

the OEM fan is just like the aftermarket ones... it has two wires going to the fan motor...  You will want to just cut the old fan wires that go to the motor... and then hook those up to the new fan... it should work like stock.  But of course you still have to keep the wiring that goes down to the temp sensor in the bottom of the rad... wont work properly without that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:08:23 pm by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:44:26 am »
Yep, done and in. Nice unit, really opens up the front of the car.

I thought all four wires ran to the fan, that was my confusion. When I had it out, it was simple by just looking at it.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)