Author Topic: weird noise on startup.. help?  (Read 4024 times)

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

Re: weird noise on startup.. help?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 12:16:16 pm »
ahh.. ok cools. thanks joliesa!

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 01:36:09 pm »
ahh.. ok cools. thanks joliesa!

I spose you missed my post where I mentioned this.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 02:08:14 pm »
oh yeah.. the way you worded it, i kinda took it that it comes with the starter or something and it's not extra fees until i spoke to the lodrco guy..as i mentioned..uber noob.  :-\

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 05:49:02 pm »
so i'm trying this out now..from underneath it looks like a BITCH to get to..I THINK i've spotted where it is and it definitely does not look easy to get to...took out battery to see how that way is according to Pauls tip and just looked like a buncha wires r on the way....

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 07:33:49 pm »
pretend that you will be getting a billion dollars if you get it out.

there, not so tough any more eh?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Allen fong

• Lying that my car fast since 1990
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 10:28:49 pm »
This was exactly what my starter was doing a month ago it was a very corroded starter cable that was the problem! My wife even piped up and said was that your car! LOL funny thing her mini van did the exact same thing when you turned it off...was the alternator and she changed that herself!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:31:18 pm by Allen fong »
1993 1G AWD

SOLD:1998 Talon AWD E316G @ 25 psi, EVO 8 ECU with, HKS 272/272 cams, Walbro 255 + rewire, ACT 2100 with street disk, 3" exhaust no cat, Aeromotive FP regulator, EVO 3 Throttle Body, EVO 3 intake mani, 1000cc inj, GM 3bar map, PR FMIC, Aem Truboost, Aem Wideband, Devils Own Meth on progressive controller.

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 11:31:18 pm »
gotta give Paul MAJOR thanks!!..we we're able to swap the starter out..we'll more like he was able to..no way could we get it off through underneath cause the xfer case is blocking or making it tight..went through the battery way and Paul got it done..thanks again man..I owe you

...and of course it's not a DSM if it just ended there...as I pulled out of the spot, engine dies..won't start cause battery's dead...jumped it and it's fine but dies again..now i'm just idling for a bit to give the battery charge and hopefully have it charged elsewhere tom..

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 11:55:51 pm »
check the alternator fuse.... could be that if th starter wire grounded out during the starter change.... but if the battery was removed then that probably wouldn't have happend... hrrrmm
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 03:45:12 pm »
so i brought the car to Kal tire cause i was gonna get the battery charged since i got my battery from them and it still has warranty...i drove around to a few places before i took it to them and i DID have to jump start it each time to get it started but driving around, i never stalled..while waiting for the car thinking the batt is getting charged, they called me saying it wasn't the battery cause the battery is apparently fully charged..i asked them to check alternator fuse and they said it's not fuse.. i checked voltage of battery while engine was off and it was at 12.58v and started it's at 12.9v or so..also checked alternator voltage when it was running (as paul showed me) and it was at 12.somethingV (forgot exactly at what).. they said they had to jumpstart it before taking it into the bay (which i understand since i had to each time i had to start) but they said the car stalled on their guy as he was driving it in and when they tried to start it again, it wouldn't start... they said it's something in electrical...so...any input? i need help.

tia
mark

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 05:10:14 pm »
another update...seems like I found the issue...loose positive terminal connector!..we'll ain't that a bitch..preferred bitch for sure, over some other unknown electrical issue...knock on wood that that's it.

thanks for all that helped and offered their knowledge! one of the reasons why I love bcdsm!
 ;D

Offline Paul Pigar

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 05:41:14 pm »
gotta give Paul MAJOR thanks!!..we we're able to swap the starter out..we'll more like he was able to..no way could we get it off through underneath cause the xfer case is blocking or making it tight..went through the battery way and Paul got it done..thanks again man..I owe you

...and of course it's not a DSM if it just ended there...as I pulled out of the spot, engine dies..won't start cause battery's dead...jumped it and it's fine but dies again..now i'm just idling for a bit to give the battery charge and hopefully have it charged elsewhere tom..

Glad i can help a fellow BCDSM member. 8)

another update...seems like I found the issue...loose positive terminal connector!..we'll ain't that a bitch..preferred bitch for sure, over some other unknown electrical issue...knock on wood that that's it.

thanks for all that helped and offered their knowledge! one of the reasons why I love bcdsm!
 ;D
I would recommend changing that oem positive terminal. Oem battery terminal on dsm's are junk in my opinion. They always come lose. At least your negative terminal has been change already.
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)

Offline Allen fong

• Lying that my car fast since 1990
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 11:39:49 pm »
+1 for Paul
1993 1G AWD

SOLD:1998 Talon AWD E316G @ 25 psi, EVO 8 ECU with, HKS 272/272 cams, Walbro 255 + rewire, ACT 2100 with street disk, 3" exhaust no cat, Aeromotive FP regulator, EVO 3 Throttle Body, EVO 3 intake mani, 1000cc inj, GM 3bar map, PR FMIC, Aem Truboost, Aem Wideband, Devils Own Meth on progressive controller.

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 08:14:14 am »
sounds good.. will get that done. thanks!

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2012, 04:06:00 pm »
if the terminal is in good shape, you can get little lead "caps" that go over the stock battery post so that it fits with the stock terminal more snugly.  These work great, are cheap and keep your OEM fitting(no cutting and screwing on huge clunky domestic terminals)battery terminals.

If they are damaged yea, get a new one.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 07:47:44 am »
if the terminal is in good shape, you can get little lead "caps" that go over the stock battery post so that it fits with the stock terminal more snugly.  These work great, are cheap and keep your OEM fitting(no cutting and screwing on huge clunky domestic terminals)battery terminals.

If they are damaged yea, get a new one.

Lordco have those?  Never seen them before!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.