Author Topic: DSM's NEVER make bad sounds...  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Greg Durban

Re: DSM's NEVER make bad sounds...
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 11:27:01 pm »
I wouldn't use conti if it was my car Almost everything I have read about them says they are no good, very well known for the teeth just seperating from the belt. If you can go for gates.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 12:04:01 am »
I prefer Dayco from50 and you know she's good.

The rest I get from RTM.
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 06:09:53 am »
http://www.bcdsm.org/forum/index.php/topic,25950.0.html
http://www.bcdsm.org/forum/index.php/topic,25610.0.html
http://www.bcdsm.org/forum/index.php/topic,25696.0.html
http://www.bcdsm.org/forum/index.php/topic,25868.0.html

From the above threads, Contitech is clearly inferior... unless you have waaayyy more time than money to do it again in, oh 15k  :P

Like Mike Holmes is famous for saying :"Make it right!"
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 06:10:31 am »
yea,   dont use the contitech belt.  I compared a contitech to all 3 of my other belts.  It was the only one that felt like it was made out of recycled paper.....   literally.  Dayco is cheap, yet ive used one with no problems.  Ide say any belt other than contitech and youll be fine.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 07:32:22 am »
they contitech kits are okay except for the belts. (timing and b-shaft belts are crap)

I personally use all Beck Arnley stuff on my timing belt jobs ( WP, TB, B-shaft belt, idler and tensioner pully + tensioner.... yes its more exspensive then the "contitech kit" but it will give you piece of mind.

and yes sometimes beck arnley stuff is OEM repackaged... but i have never seen a "mitsu" belt come out of a beck box...  But i have found that the beck stuff performs just as good as OEM.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 10:07:27 am »
I have no personal knowledge on the belts, but I'd definitely get new OEM pulleys and tensioner.  I might have a new-ish 6 bolt tensioner as I'm  using a 7bolt tensioner.  It has less than 5000 kms and much less than a year of driving on it.  (Let me check on that though I could have this backwards.)

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 07:04:11 pm »
Kevin - I'll take the tensioner if you've got it as described.

I've found a Gates kit (minus the tensioner) at a local supplier, and a B-A pump. Both are reasonably priced - Actually, their pricing was a bit odd. $130 Gates kit (Belts + pulleys), $100 water pump, and the  new tensioner was going to be $160 on top of that! Fairly good compared to Lordco's prices, too.

Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 08:20:04 pm »
NAY on the Conti!!  Seen too many of those go way way way too early!!  Brett will strongly second this. 

On any other car, sure but not on a DSM for what ever reason.

The rest of the kit is good, but not the belt.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »
Look at your harmonic damper when you pull it apart.

Also look at your normal belts to see if they are rubbing on anything.

I would personally pull off one belt at a time and see if the noise goes away before you pull the tbelt lower cover.  you have to pull them anyways so its not lost time.

Touch covers, heat shields etc and see if you can make the noise go away.

make sure you solve the problem, not just replace your belts/pump/tensioner etc.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 09:45:13 pm »
Thanks John, will look at the harmonic damper as well.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 10:45:38 am »
Sorry, it looks like my extra is a 2G tensioner. (This RTM page shows them all: http://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16182)

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 04:20:35 pm »
Progress!

Tore down the front end of the motor today.
All auxiliary belts (AC/Alt/PS) and pulleys are okay. Water pump has no shaft play. Lower timing cover has abrasions and wear from the outside - Something's been rubbing. The lower corner also has old damage, from the PO.
With all accessory belts and pulleys off, and the timing covers off, I ran the motor.
To be fair, the car was having a 'good day' and it only made horrible noises for a minute when I moved it into the garage - All subsequent startups were quiet.
But... With the timing covers off the whole motor was very quiet. I suspect that the timing cover was vibrating against something or not secured completely - in addition to the hydraulic tensioner being suspect.

With a screwdriver on the fulcrum arm the tensioner acts against, the motor was run again. I could feel it vibrating in lower RPM's, but when the magic 2500 hit, it settled down significantly.

I'm looking for two things right now - A hydraulic tensioner I can beg, borrow, or steal. I think mine's bad, but I want another to compare it to - I can compress it most of the way in by just pressing it against the bench.
The second thing is a lower timing cover. Does anyone have a good 6 bolt lower cover? (I'll also post in the parts section).

In the meantime, I'm going to order up a timing belt kit and VC gasket (It looks to be leaking on the one face of the motor). If the tensioner proves to be bad, I'll go with OEM. As the water pump shows no signs of wear, I'll leave it alone.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 06:33:03 pm »
theres no way you should be able to compresses the tensioner by hand against a bench...  it should require a vice to compress it... and even then its difficult and you have to go slow with the vice..

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 06:38:00 pm »
Cam ill take a look for my old tensioner if that will help you out.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 07:41:44 pm »
88 000 km's on the belt and you already have all the assesories and covers off?

just replace everthing in there now while its apart.  You will be kicking yourself in the ass if you replace just the tensioner and then a month later the timing belt strips/snaps and wrecks the entire motor.