Author Topic: Hyundai Intake Manifold  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Markus Johnson

Hyundai Intake Manifold
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:48:41 pm »
Has anyone ever used one of these, or had a close look at them? I am talking about the IM off of the G4CP (4G63 N/t Equivalent). It looks like there are two different styles of the G4CP IM, one that says ECI MULTI 2000 ( Earlier version) and one that looks very similar to a 2G IM.

I am looking for an IM to mate with my 2G head, obviously Evo 3 IM would be my first choice, but I think this Hyundai manifold would be mix between the 2G and the Evo3 in terms of runner length/plenum size. Plus it looks to be small ports, with a larger TB inlet, so no need to port out a 2G manifold for a 1G TB.....
Multiplicity of DSMs

Offline Jordan Kruger

Re: Hyundai Intake Manifold
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:03:59 am »
Ide love to see the Typhoon intake fitted to the 4g63.  The manifold has a total of 8 runners!   4 of which are secondary runners. Meaning they become functional when you reach a desired boost pressure (whatever wastegate canister you fit it with)  They will open at higher boost pressures allowing way more airflow. Very cool, in my mind.   Im just stoked that I have not one completely stock component on my intake side of the head.  ;D The bigger you go with charge piping/TB/Intake,   the more it will scare you  ;) .   You create more lag by having a large intake system, however with the Typhoon head, it assists boost pressures well!
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:09:29 pm »
Cyclone not Typhoon  ;)

I has one, but I hesistate to use it because while it does have the cool dual runner thing, they both fit into the same size as a stock 1g port, WITH a devider and the flaps/shaft taking up space.

Many other platforms have something similar and most delete/eliminate it for more basic airflow.  IE the Mazdaspeed 2.3 DISI turbo has it.  When I decrbonized my valve stems I REALLY thought about getting rid of it, as the flappers and shaft takes up quite a bit of the total runner diameter.  I just needed to have my car running that night so I could work in the next day.  I will be doing it later on.

I would have to see properly tested dynos on a few different setups to determine if it actually works on a DSM.

As for the Hyundai one, if you want to use the small port head, you need a small port intake manifold.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Markus Johnson

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:09:53 pm »
I wasn't meaning the cyclone manifold, but specifically the intake off the 2.0L (93-98?) Hyundai sonata.  Judging from the few pics online I found it looks very similar to the EVO 3 IM; however, it has an EGR. This manifold is also a small port. 

Hopefully I can find one at the wreckers this week.  Maybe I'll post a few pics if anyone is interested.
Multiplicity of DSMs

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 06:18:58 pm »
DOH!   totally meant cyclone.  

wait   after further review   im still correct.   the syclone and typhoon both featured the same motor   ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:27:21 pm by Jordan Kruger »

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:22:35 pm »
DOH!   totally meant cyclone.  

wait   after further review   im still correct.   the syclone and typhoon both featured the same motor   ;)

... which is in no way related to the 4g63.

They referred to the evo style dual runner manifolds as cyclone intakes, I think that is where you're getting confused?
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 05:29:25 pm »
The GMC typhoon and GMC cyclone have an intake that you can use on a 4g63 with minimal modification.   I understand that. And thats all I brought up     ;)

I really dont know much about the hyundai intake tho. As John pointed out, the runners and the cyclone/typhoon intake are = to a stock 4g63 intake roughly. They just utilize dual runners to each cylinder, which is rad! probably help with a laggy setup if actuated correctly.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 06:50:40 pm »
The GMC typhoon and GMC cyclone have an intake that you can use on a 4g63 with minimal modification.   I understand that. And thats all I brought up     ;)

I really dont know much about the hyundai intake tho. As John pointed out, the runners and the cyclone/typhoon intake are = to a stock 4g63 intake roughly. They just utilize dual runners to each cylinder, which is rad! probably help with a laggy setup if actuated correctly.

Whaaaaaaa?

The Ty/sy is a v6, how would you make that work on a 4g?
I still think this is just people mixing up the names.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 07:39:56 pm »

They referred to the evo style dual runner manifolds as cyclone intakes, I think that is where you're getting confused?

WHat the fuck remi!! They never used duel runner intake manis on EVO's!!  Do you even know what your talking about here?

And theres no way hyundai would have put on better intakes on there sonota's and elantras with the g4Cn or whatever engine hyundai calls them...... they just used the same mitsubishi castings.....and probably got 13 year old korean kids to make them...

Duel runners are great for a street car that needs the better low end torque, esspecially with bigger turbos..  But i would agree that if you are going for Peak HP and TQ numbers then a high flow 1g intake mani of SMIM would work better.  2g small port intake manifolds are a great all round setup for street car, they offer great low end torque characteristics, but still have good flow up top as well, just maybe not as much as a large port setup at the higher RPM's.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:44:51 pm by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:44:16 pm »
closer than modifying a pushrod stone age V6 intake to fit a semi current inline 4 with dohc...
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:45:43 pm »
TOTALLY MY FAULT.    the cyclone intake im referring to is from a JDM Galant

dont pick on remi!   hes more right than me!   :D..... :-X
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:47:20 pm by Jordan Kruger »

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 10:51:15 pm »

WHat the fuck remi!! They never used duel runner intake manis on EVO's!!  Do you even know what your talking about here?

And theres no way hyundai would have put on better intakes on there sonota's and elantras with the g4Cn or whatever engine hyundai calls them...... they just used the same mitsubishi castings.....and probably got 13 year old korean kids to make them...

Duel runners are great for a street car that needs the better low end torque, esspecially with bigger turbos..  But i would agree that if you are going for Peak HP and TQ numbers then a high flow 1g intake mani of SMIM would work better.  2g small port intake manifolds are a great all round setup for street car, they offer great low end torque characteristics, but still have good flow up top as well, just maybe not as much as a large port setup at the higher RPM's.

Brett is allowed to mock me for that typo because I like to brow beat people with a high level of evo knowledge and own several thick books on the subject (that smell of leather and mahogany)

The TRUE issue here is i had a brain fart and typed evo instead of vr4.

Offline Markus Johnson

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 11:44:24 pm »
Ok to clear up some of the confusion, I have linked to the only pictures of the HYUNDAI (not the cyclone/typhoon/tsunami etc.) manifold which I could find.  This manifold looks to be quite similar to an Evo 3 manifold. Small ports, plenum style, runners etc. Plus it is setup for EGR and it has a larger 60mm inlet. Not to mention it doesn't have that sensor/hole thing on the top of the plenum like the 2g...

Since I have a 2g head and would like an upgrade from the 2g IM, I would rather pick this up for $30 at a wreckers than trying to find an Evo 3 IM for an arm and a leg...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/316991-budget-intake-manifold-tb-options-3.html
Multiplicity of DSMs

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 08:13:44 am »
Markus, if the ports are indeed a match for the 2g head, it should be a good setup for you.  And its cheap, so if its wrong, you can either pay to have it work or just eat the loss and sell it for scrap aluminum.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »

Duel runners are great for a street car that needs the better low end torque, esspecially with bigger turbos..  But i would agree that if you are going for Peak HP and TQ numbers then a high flow 1g intake mani of SMIM would work better.  2g small port intake manifolds are a great all round setup for street car, they offer great low end torque characteristics, but still have good flow up top as well, just maybe not as much as a large port setup at the higher RPM's.

Brett is allowed to mock me for that typo because I like to brow beat people with a high level of evo knowledge and own several thick books on the subject (that smell of leather and mahogany)

The TRUE issue here is i had a brain fart and typed evo instead of vr4.

http://theinventory.orconhosting.net.nz/evozero.htm

FWIW if I was looking for a torquey 2L with a stockish turbo setup I'd go with an intake no smaller than the 2G or evo3 in runner size. Your head choice will determine whether you use those or a stock 1g big port mani.

the Hyundai one would be good for torque but IMHO would hurt top end flow. If you had an auto 2g then maybe, but meh...probably not even worth it.
Kristopher