Author Topic: door locks wont stay locked  (Read 778 times)

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
door locks wont stay locked
« on: October 31, 2011, 04:46:05 pm »
This only happens on the drivers side of the car. I went to the wrecker and got another actuator and it did the same thing. Could be that the wrecker one was no good too, but I am thinking it is something else now. Anyone dealt with this before? got any ideas?
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Vlad Busta

• http://www.members.tripod.com/Busta-bc
Re: door locks wont stay locked
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:37:31 pm »
I had this happen when the mechanisms in the door were binding. Maybe cleaning it all up and greasing stuff will help.

Later, Vlad.
all go, no show!

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 05:48:13 pm »
everything moves properly. just when you lock it, it instantly unlocks.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Calvin Ng

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 06:43:49 pm »
Is there auto lock feature? Aftermarket alarm?

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:44:14 pm »
this is the exact reason I pulled the fuse on the doorlocks.   the passenger one would bind a tad  and that would unlock both doors instantly. it may appear that everything is fine,    but the lock tab itself may be stopping a 1/16th away from its locking position.   unlocking both doors.  something is definitely binding a little.   door panels off and lube'er up.

simple solution.     sit inside, fulltime.     haha

337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:53:46 pm »
Is there auto lock feature? Aftermarket alarm?

It used to have an old alpine alarm, but I haven't used it in ages. the box might even still be in it. The weird thing is if you lock it from the passenger side it is fine and stays locked.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

Offline J. Todd Murie

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:44:04 pm »
I had the same problem where if you locked one side it would stay locked and if you locked the other it would just automatically unlock.  Even-though it seemed everything was moving fine a little bit of Lube on the moving parts and Voila!

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:00:12 pm »
Marke    that means that the passenger locking tab isnt sliding fully.  i bet ya.  when you manually lock or unlock it, the tab will operate better and mask the problem. The electronic locks wont kick the tab over as well (I found).  I think you are just fighting the passenger tab.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:02:20 pm by Jordan Kruger »
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 10:43:40 pm »
I had this when I first bought my Talon.  I lubed it, I adjusted it, I fiddled with it to no end.  I replaced it with a wrecker one and its been working ever since.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:29 pm »
my old 1gb used to lock me in my car at times !!!  >:(

id shut off the car and doors would go from the unlocked position, to locked within 2 seconds.   it got old fast trying to beat the possessed door locks but it was erratic at best most days.  im unsure if there was a dying aftermarket alarm in it but that could explain things lol

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 11:37:48 pm »
I've had similar as well, except it would stay locked instead of unlocked!

Pretty sure it's a linkage/actuator/etc issue, something's loose or misadjusted.

Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline daniel sanat

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 05:07:41 am »
I've had the same problem, it was the passenger door messing everything up
1992 talon tsi

Robert Low

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 01:15:16 pm »
You could try to eliminate the possibility of it being your old alarm doing weird stuff by unplugging the harness on the Alpine brain/main unit.  It'll only take less than a minute to do.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 01:25:51 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I took the passenger panel off and lubed up the moving parts. It seems it may not have been moving to the fully locked position on that side. I repositioned the panel and that seemed to do it. On a side note, I have been busy trying to get the panels to stay on the door. Its been fun, not! Driver side won't clip in whatsoever anymore, actually looks like a new door is in order. the metal around the holes that the clips go into is mis-shaped, and I think the panel itself is warped or something. going to use some self tapping screws to hold it in place for now.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 04:42:03 pm »
Mine started doing this after it was broken into. The window was busted so had to open up the door assembly to get all the glass out. My thoughts are that some lazy bastard didn't put it back together properly and hence, the unlocking doors. I've found that by getting out and locking it with the key works in keeping it locked...for mine anyway.
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation