Author Topic: turbo rebuild kit  (Read 402 times)

Offline j.l.forsen

turbo rebuild kit
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:06:15 pm »
if i grab a blown ebay turbo and replace the components with a high quality rebuild kit, would that be worth while?

Offline andrew volcz

Re: turbo rebuild kit
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:12:09 pm »
most turbo's we've sent out for rebuilding START @ $400-600+ for a journal bearing turbo (depending how damaged they are).  BB turbo's are more as they usually replace the center section.

Offline j.l.forsen

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:16:48 pm »
so just get a new used one....

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:30:56 pm »
likely a better idea than rebuilding a 16g or something similar.  just my $.02 from experience
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:32:38 pm by andrew volcz »

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 03:55:32 pm »
if i grab a blown ebay turbo and replace the components with a high quality rebuild kit, would that be worth while?

depends how bad the turbo is......a lot of guys buy those turbo's off ebay, (16g, gt-35's) and so on and before even running them take them apart and put new bearings in them as well as port them. i have seen a few tutorials on youtube on how to do this, and honestly if you have any mechanical bone in your body you can do it, and for a fraction of the price. I bought a brand new ebay 16g turbo for i think $150, (might of been cheaper cant remember) the rebuild kit for it is like $100 from ebay as well (authentic mitsu kit) so for $250 and a little bit of elbow grease i am going to have a brand new turbo. i sold a used authentic 16g turbo for $250. i would rather have the brand new parts as well as the porting. search some tutorials online. you also need the right tools.....
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Markus Johnson

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:39:00 am »
What about the issue of getting the turbo balanced?  I have completely taken apart a 14b and then reassembled it, without ever getting it balanced.  It was only after the fact I heard it should have been balanced.  It seemed to work well after, but maybe it was a time bomb waiting to explode.
Multiplicity of DSMs

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 08:41:23 am »
From what I have read on tuners and spoken with Justin on that site the mitsu parts are pre balanced and do not need rotating balance.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline j.l.forsen

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 10:25:22 am »
i heard some say when you take the compressor wheel off the shaft, you need to scribe the nut to the wheel because they think it gets balanced together, others think they get balance individually..... if that makes sense