Author Topic: Anyone know much about galants?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Carl Gould

Anyone know much about galants?
« on: September 22, 2011, 06:52:42 pm »
I picked up a Dodge 2000gtx for a dd (same as a galant for those who don't know), and 4th gear has gone in the transmission. It has the sohc 4g63 in it, so I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not I could get a fwd transmission out of a dsm and put it in there. I haven't had much luck searching online.

Any insight is appreciated!
97 TSi AWD - Winter 2010 Will-it-ever-be-finished Project

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
Re: Anyone know much about galants?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:58:47 pm »
John has a galant, and if him or Brett don't know, I'm prepared to eat my exhaust.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 01:26:40 am »
You could try to find the number on the galant trans. and see if it matches a dsm one.
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Carl Gould

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:17:24 am »
You could try to find the number on the galant trans. and see if it matches a dsm one.
I'll do that if I don't find out by the time I get home, but I'm still away on work for two weeks and if possible I'd like to get a new tranny lined up for my return.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:33:46 am »
You should be able to use a FWD 1G NON turbo tranny i think.  As long as the galant 200gtx uses 1G style mounts (which im almost 100% sure it does) it will bolt up.  I think sohc 4g63 uses the smaller non turbo flywheel and clutch.(non stepped) that fits inside the smaller non turbo bellhousing.  the galant axles SHOULD also go right into the N/A dsm tranny as well.   As far as the shifter linkage you might have to fiddle around with it because of the differences in the 90, 91-94 trannys and i think the galant uses a 1990 style linkage so a 1990 dsm tranny would work like normal and a 91-94 tranny would require linkage modification to shift properly.

You could also put a turbo FWD transmission in it as well, but you would have to swap to the bigger turbo, stepped flywheel as well,

good luck!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 07:44:17 pm »
the tranny on mine is identical on the outside to a normal turbo awd tranny but the fwd one might be different like Brett says.

Were I you I would look at two options.

1.)  Pull the tranny  out and get it down here to Berts Transmissions on Kingsway(not the other one in Surrey but on Kingsway in Vancouver).  I got mine done quite cheaply.  Full rebuild(awd btw), new clutch, 3 liters of fluid for $1008 tax in.  No not a performance turbo rebuild, but its not a super powerful engine.

2.) Get an N/T fwd 4g63 twincam engine and fwd tranny.  Swapping the engine and tranny is not much harder than swapping just the tranny.  Well ok it is, but its not twice as hard.  And you will go from 98 or whatever hp to 135.  The car will wake up.  And you will still get great mileage.  In fact I would say better mileage because you will now have DSM gearing.  The Galant gearing is too short for the hiway.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Carl Gould

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:13:26 am »
the tranny on mine is identical on the outside to a normal turbo awd tranny but the fwd one might be different like Brett says.

Were I you I would look at two options.

1.)  Pull the tranny  out and get it down here to Berts Transmissions on Kingsway(not the other one in Surrey but on Kingsway in Vancouver).  I got mine done quite cheaply.  Full rebuild(awd btw), new clutch, 3 liters of fluid for $1008 tax in.  No not a performance turbo rebuild, but its not a super powerful engine.

2.) Get an N/T fwd 4g63 twincam engine and fwd tranny.  Swapping the engine and tranny is not much harder than swapping just the tranny.  Well ok it is, but its not twice as hard.  And you will go from 98 or whatever hp to 135.  The car will wake up.  And you will still get great mileage.  In fact I would say better mileage because you will now have DSM gearing.  The Galant gearing is too short for the hiway.

The car is a $400 beater so spending any more than $200 on the tranny is really out of the picture. However, I was considering the dohc swap if I could find a donor car at the pick n pull in kelowna. I wish it was awd, then I could justify putting money into it.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 09:30:07 pm »
yea but if you can find a DOHC/5spd togeather for cheap(or buy a whole n/t 5spd dsm for super cheap) then the car will be quite a bit better.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods