Author Topic: cracked valve cover  (Read 478 times)

Bryan Hoytema

cracked valve cover
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:35:50 pm »
hey I need answers two to questions I have two valve covers and the one I have on right now has a nice crack in it , now does anyone fix this ? and the second one I have thats not on the car has two rivets broken lose on the one side  where the sheet metal guides are., now can anyone help me out with this or know someone who can? Thanks !

Offline Sheela krasnuik

Re: cracked valve cover
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:15:45 pm »
JB Weld.
"I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce"

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:25:04 pm »
Thinking of using JB on one I have that's cracked too.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 10:56:03 pm »
jb weld is really the only option.  I persoanlly just throw them in the scrap metal bin when they are cracked...  I have tried to use JB weld to fix the leaks but it never stops 100%.  The problem is you can usually stop the oil from getting inside the part where the spark plug wires are.... but if you look closly where the crack goes it goes outside the valve cover as well, inbehind the cam gears...  it will leak there as well... the crack will go down where the gasket sits usually too as well.. pretty much your only bet to fix it properly is fine a uncracked cover... i have never met anyone that can weld up the cracks and fix them properly...  dont even know if it can be done.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Sheela krasnuik

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:07:13 am »

I would only use JB Weld if I was going to seal it in after. Meaning Powder Coat over it to seal any pin holes left behind from the JB Weld, making a permanent bond with the metal substrate. You could even spray paint over it.  Some cracks are surface cracks and dont go straight through. If the crack goes through to the other side sometimes it is just better to scrap it and purchase a new one.

Another thing you can use is Metal Fill or Liquid Metal.
"I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce"

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:27:37 pm »
I've found that JB Weld will hold for a while, but the crack will tend to propagate over time probably from vibration, heat cycles, and further removal and installation.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:36:50 pm »
its probably just worth it to get the inside of the crack tig welded.    I could get repairs like that done cheapppp
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 06:10:56 pm »
yep, what Brett said.  Its not worth it really.  Maybe down the road it will be because there will be none left, but for now, just find another one.

Tho Jordans idea has merit.  Get someone to tig it up, grind it down, and then send it off to Sheelah.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:32:02 pm »
good idea , Ill be in touch jordan !