Author Topic: no start issues  (Read 682 times)

Offline Nathan Craft

no start issues
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:30:13 pm »
Well I finally had the Tsi hauled up to kelowna so I can get started on it, but first I need to get this thing to start. It seems to have issues cranking. There is plenty of power to the starter, but it sounds like the car wants to fall on its face. I was previously having issues with #2&3 having no spark, so I'm having a friend from Classified Autosports here in Kelowna give me a hand narrowing it down, but I just wanted a few more opinions as to possible issues. I have a spare coil pack, CAS, and transistor pack to swap and see if any one of those is out of wack.

If there is anyone in the kelowna area/ shuswap area that would be will to swap my CAS and ECU into thiers just to test them I'd be more than willing to supply the beer  ;D

thx
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion
-AWD swap in progress :D

"Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper, sure it's fun to show off and ride every so often, but in the end it'll break your heart"

Offline Jason Harwood

Re: no start issues
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:01:20 am »
If you've got no spark in 2 cylinders, she gonna run like crap.

Fix what you know is wrong first - worry about the rest after.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:22:12 am »
swap in your new transistor pack. easy enough to do... The car wont start easily at all if only 2cylinders are firing. If that doesnt work, then try your coilpack.   also check the wiring linked to the coilpacks (on the coil pack/coil-pack connector/transistor pack) 
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:13:02 pm »
it should start and run on 2 cylinders.  If its not starting at all, there is another problem.

post a good clear well lit video with audi of it trying to start if you can.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 08:34:08 pm »
Cas 180 out?  I had "interesting" results trying to start a car with pt and cas issues.
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:44:26 pm »
well went and narrowed it down to no spark, getting plenty of fuel, currently no plugs are firing, swapped all three CAS`s i have, two coil packs, and two transistor packs, still no spark with any combo.. but i figured since the engine is headed to the machinist, i`m pulling everything and i`m going to check the harness out, when I bought the talon i knew the harness was in rough shape so i`m not going to rule it out
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

"Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper, sure it's fun to show off and ride every so often, but in the end it'll break your heart"

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:30:18 pm »
ECU, next to try.

Wait, there is no try, only do.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:34:27 pm »
will do john, thanks for the advice, going to try and find someone nearby with a 1g turbo.
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline Dave Ingraham

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 08:21:54 am »
I got a 1g turbo car in kelowna.   

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:54:37 pm »
any 1g ECU or even a Colt ECU will fire it up if thats the problem.  Don't drive it far, but it will run if the new ECU is good and yours is the problem.

The other thing to do is to try your ECU in the other car for reference and double checking purposes

Offline Markus Johnson

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 02:16:21 pm »
Im in the Okanagan area too, let me know if you need anything.
Multiplicity of DSMs

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 06:21:16 pm »
hey guys, thanks for the input, I'm pretty sure i have it narrowed down to my transistor pack, i'm guessing that having a hole in the cover of it isn't a good thing, and then I realized that my spare transistor pack, is a 5pin, not the 7pin that i need.
So right now I have everything apart, the head is off, and the wiring is getting all redone (due to some hacking from one of the previous owners...  >:(  my GF has been a great help with everything sofar, and i want to get this finished by next FVT.

BTW dave, you still at four function?
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline Mike Canzian

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 08:19:53 pm »
every used car ive bought has always been full of mickey mouse wiring under the dash/hood and broken glass hidden underneath
seats...
does the same guy own all these cars!?!? ahahaha GOD DAMNIT

Offline Dave Ingraham

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 09:43:45 pm »

BTW dave, you still at four function?

Ya every saturday and sometimes during the week after 5.   Stop by if your in the area.   

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 07:37:52 pm »
Ya every saturday and sometimes during the week after 5.   Stop by if your in the area.   

yea for sure ill drop by one of these days
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion