Author Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Doug Almond

Coolant leak
« on: August 26, 2011, 01:00:55 pm »
Coolant leak in the large ( 1" diameter ? ) tube that runs between the water pump and across to the thermostat housing.
Looks like the seal ( o-ring ) at the water pump end is leaking. Does anyone know the size of these o-rings? I'm guessing it's about a 25mm x 1.8mm, but I would want to have the right part on hand before I take it apart. ( The stealer wants $18.00 each for therm ! ) Also, is it possible to do this job by starting at the thermostat end and taking things off from there? I really don't want to have to start at the other end and take off the water pump just to change a seal!

Offline Jordan Kruger

Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:23:02 pm »
just pay 18 dollars.    honestly.    its 4 dollars through RTM    but considering the shipping...    

I wouldnt just use any O ring.  just my 2cents.

the fact that you found a part available from the dealer in the "teens" is amazing.  lol
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:11:02 pm »
if you wanted a new seal you could email ziggy and ask him to put in in an envelope and mail it, then he'd arrange for an email money transfer.. done that before through him.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Tony Leong

• 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5spd
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 02:39:25 pm »
Doug, I've a got a spare, new, water pump O-Ring.  You can have it $0.00. 

Part number Water pump O-Ring MD030764 is for a 1995, early 1995 water pump (vs. later 1995 water pump), so check if your 1997 is any different.

If you want it, PM me your addy.  Postage will be paid by me, so let's not worry about mailing payments back forth.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:07:10 pm »
Beck arnley has a listing for that o-ring.  You can get it from lordco.

Also, yes, you can remove the thermo housing and maybe th exhauast manifold and get the pipe off that way instead of removing the t-belt and all that jazz.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Doug Almond

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:57:22 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.
I did ask at Lordco, the fellow there said he had no listing for the seals.
While cleaning up some other stuff this evening, I came across the remnants of an old gasket kit that I didn't know I still had. It happened to have the seals in question. Thanks for the offer though Tony.
For future reference, if anyone's interested, the o-rings are a 36mm x 4mm, buna-n, 70 durometer. Available at some seal house in town for about $ 1.25.
 For the benefit of other certain members, that translates into : about the same diameter as a TimBit, about as hard as a 5 day old Fritter, and slightly darker in colour than a chocolate chip.

Offline Tony Leong

• 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5spd
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 10:37:57 pm »

For the benefit of other certain members, that translates into : about the same diameter as a TimBit, about as hard as a 5 day old Fritter, and slightly darker in colour than a chocolate chip.

HaHaHa  :D

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:43:09 pm »
donuts almond has spoken again

and bretts right, exhaust manifold, tstat housing and pull it out.

when its out, make sure you clean the pipe up really well, and make sure the female part of the water pump is clean too. lightly lube up the oring so it slides in nicely.  if its not lubed it can roll/pinch and cause a leak

91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Doug Almond

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:37:30 pm »
Yeah, I got'er fixed now. The pipe slides back just barely enough to change the o-ring on the water pump end.

Offline Sheela krasnuik

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.
I did ask at Lordco, the fellow there said he had no listing for the seals.
While cleaning up some other stuff this evening, I came across the remnants of an old gasket kit that I didn't know I still had. It happened to have the seals in question. Thanks for the offer though Tony.
For future reference, if anyone's interested, the o-rings are a 36mm x 4mm, buna-n, 70 durometer. Available at some seal house in town for about $ 1.25.

Hahaha!!  be very careful Mr. Almond Joy you might need something from me one day and it might just come back to you in a pretty pink metallic   :P
"I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce"

Offline Doug Almond

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 10:23:33 am »

Hahaha!!  be very careful Mr. Almond Joy you might need something from me one day and it might just come back to you in a pretty pink metallic   :P

Oh oh.........