Author Topic: car falling on its face under boost  (Read 1134 times)

Offline KevinBuckham

Re: car falling on its face under boost
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 09:57:33 am »
I have some "remote diagnostic" ideas for you:

- Is your MAF connector in good shape? Since this is intermittent, I'd think electrical, and since you've been through the knock sensor side of things, air flow metering would also cause you the issue. 

- Is it going into limp mode?  (On my car the only way I knew was it would basically stall once I gave it throttle.)  A failing electrical connection to an important sensor will throw the ECU into limp mode. (At least I assume 1Gs behave similarly.)

- A failing FPR could give similar symptoms.  Generally you will go very lean as your manifold pressure rise above atmospheric, but feels basically the same as being aggressively rich.  Also the wideband does odd things if the timing gets retarded enough at the same time. 

Offline Joliesa Lepp

• 1993 tsi awd - big 16g, fmic, meth... head.
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 11:33:43 am »
Not a boost leak as it only does it intermittently. Strange. Was retarded to drive yesterday and now its fine. Just made it over the coke and i boosted more than a few times and nothing.  I run a gm maf and it could be a loose wire grounding out since it doesn't do it all the time. Other options are a bad tps, but its so weird it'll be interesting to see what actually is causing this.
Outta the game!

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 12:34:27 pm »
Not a boost leak as it only does it intermittently. Strange. Was retarded to drive yesterday and now its fine. Just made it over the coke and i boosted more than a few times and nothing.  I run a gm maf and it could be a loose wire grounding out since it doesn't do it all the time. Other options are a bad tps, but its so weird it'll be interesting to see what actually is causing this.

mine started doing this, while i had a gm maf in their too. try adjusting your wot, and mid dials either up or down one click. bet you that's part of it. something while being down in vancouver changed the way your car was running and threw your fuel loops out of wack, the gm maf is set to within a certain range, so your ecu fuel loop signal was out of those ranges and your car was bucking because of it. kind of hard to explain, but i hope that helps.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Joliesa Lepp

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 06:34:39 pm »
No worries, it makes sense, and I did adjust them and it didn't make any difference, so I just put them back to the same settings. Thanks Glen.
Outta the game!

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 12:53:23 pm »
No worries, it makes sense, and I did adjust them and it didn't make any difference, so I just put them back to the same settings. Thanks Glen.

you figure this out yet? cause another idea i have is plug wires, or coils. i never fully fixed mine or was totaly able to test it as i just removed the maf....it did indeed fix it, but when it was doing it only happend after the car had been running for awhile and was so random that it was only a guess. as far as electrical signals go it makes sense in my mind. when electrical components heat up they dont work as well. so a coil could be on its way out or a wire could be faulting.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 01:49:51 am »
phantom knock or actual noise from the engine thats setting off the knock sensor...

unthread the knock sensor and ground it out...  see if the hesitation goes away.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 10:42:33 am »
unthread the knock sensor and ground it out...  see if the hesitation goes away.

how do you ground the knock sensor ?just unplug it ? newb question I know lol

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 02:29:18 pm »
some people solder a wire to the knock sensor outter metal housing and then ground the wire out.  I imagine you could also take a hose clamp, wrap a wire around it, and then tighten the hose clamp around the metal knock sensor body to squish the wire against it.  Then ground that wire out to the firewall.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 05:19:48 pm »
I run a gm maf ...

I'll bet you're running a MAF Translator and not something like ECMLink direct support for a GM MAF.

Offline Joliesa Lepp

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 09:08:41 pm »
Yes yes I am. Ryan was right. Was a maft wire grounding out against the firewall amongst my mess of wiring.  :-)
Outta the game!

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 09:47:12 pm »
so it wasn't so much the engine under load, but when the engine was under load it torqued and the movement caused the bare wire to ground out the firewall?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 10:10:15 pm »
Bwahaha I win!

Offline Joliesa Lepp

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 12:13:22 am »
John. Pretty much. Bahahaha at Ryan.
Outta the game!