Author Topic: What Have i been busy with lately?? PROJECT GEO STORM RS  (Read 4362 times)

Offline John Hartman

Re: What Have i been busy with lately?? PROJECT GEO STORM RS
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 07:01:19 pm »
man that really was clogged!!
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 07:31:03 pm »
Yeah,  that's probably why the car I got for parts, became parts,  clogged cat, too much backpressure, blew the headgasket, and that was that... Esspecially after the car sat with water in the cylinders for 6 years ahahah.

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 07:52:06 pm »
That ducting to the intercooler is trick!   I like it.     it'll probably help that cooler immensely!
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 09:27:28 pm »
Yeah its all the stock impulse RS hood scoop and ducting.  I wouldn't even thing of running without it.   I thought the whole RS hood would bolt up, but it didn't.  It was a bit differnt dimensions. 

Thank god for a dremel and a bunch of cut off wheels!

Hahah. Yvonne wasn't too happy tho when I told her I had to cut a big hole in her mint hood ahah

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 09:42:37 pm »
lol.    nothing beats performance.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Tony Leong

• 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5spd
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 02:13:25 pm »

Hahah. Yvonne wasn't too happy tho when I told her I had to cut a big hole in her mint hood ahah

All is forgiven when track day rolls around. ;)  Good luck Brett!!

Offline kevin derhouson

She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 12:59:49 am »
Well we headed out to mission today and it was SUPER busy.  Yvonne got 4 runs in and we stayed right till close and got there at 5:30.  The tech cards SOLD OUT!! good thing we got there early.

Anyways first run, the car sounded like a subaru and had no powere... ahaha  Turned out that one of the injector connectors came unplugged.. (i didnt put on the OEM metal stupid clips to lock them in place(same injector clips as 1g dsm's) *what stupid little clips, i hate them)  So yvonne still gave it 100% throttle all the way down the track on 3cylinders cuz run what ya brung eh.........  the 3 cyl storm ran a 19.XX at like 74 mph or somehting lol.  anyways i shoved the connector back onto the injectors and yayyy!!! back to 4 cylinders

At the same time i jacked the car up and pulled the exhuast pipe back to strait pipe that sucka and rid the stock exhuast from the system(CUSTOM SLIP FIT BOOYYZZZ)

The car went back out and ran a 16.8 or something like that.  I had the ignition timing quite retarded and the next run the storm went 16.7 @87 MPH. w/  car sounded like it was bogging after shifts till the RPMS up.  I obviously had the timing wayyy to retarded, SO i advanced the CAS quite a bit to where she seemed to run better and have better throttle responce when building boost and after shifting.  the car seemed to pick up alot of power and the power came on alot smoother after advancing the timing.

the car was fighting tire spin in 1st gear (obviously), the tires on there are old crappy worn out ones... so that doesnt help.. i think the 60's were in the 2.8 range :O  obviously a ton of room for improvement there with a good launch.  also yvonne never bothered heating up the tires cuz they were on there last legs anyways...

I lowered the tire pressures down a bit for the last run and yvonne managed a bit better traction plus i again advanced the timing some more....  The following run, and last one of the night netted a 15.7 @90MPH w/ 2.6 60'.  definalty showing a bit of potential there....With some good tires on there im sure 1.9-2.1 60's would be in order and a 14 second run would be in the cards.

From here i will be probably trying some racegas next time,  a couple more pounds of boost (10-12psi) (currently at  a solid 8psi).  I checked out the plugs right after the runs and there were no obvious signs of ping or detonation... but who knows how much that really says considering they were idled down the return road for a bit before shut off.. all runs were done at 8psi of boost and

After that a wideband would be next, a better intercooler, SAFC II installed, custom manifold. 14b turbo, 3" exhaust.  that should easily get it into the 13's.. Im sure after that the engine pistons/rods would have to be upgraded before more power could be safely made.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 10:48:15 am »
Well we headed out to mission today and it was SUPER busy.  Yvonne got 4 runs in and we stayed right till close and got there at 5:30.  The tech cards SOLD OUT!! good thing we got there early.

Anyways first run, the car sounded like a subaru and had no powere... ahaha  Turned out that one of the injector connectors came unplugged.. (i didnt put on the OEM metal stupid clips to lock them in place(same injector clips as 1g dsm's) *what stupid little clips, i hate them)  So yvonne still gave it 100% throttle all the way down the track on 3cylinders cuz run what ya brung eh.........  the 3 cyl storm ran a 19.XX at like 74 mph or somehting lol.  anyways i shoved the connector back onto the injectors and yayyy!!! back to 4 cylinders

At the same time i jacked the car up and pulled the exhuast pipe back to strait pipe that sucka and rid the stock exhuast from the system(CUSTOM SLIP FIT BOOYYZZZ)

The car went back out and ran a 16.8 or something like that.  I had the ignition timing quite retarded and the next run the storm went 16.7 @87 MPH. w/  car sounded like it was bogging after shifts till the RPMS up.  I obviously had the timing wayyy to retarded, SO i advanced the CAS quite a bit to where she seemed to run better and have better throttle responce when building boost and after shifting.  the car seemed to pick up alot of power and the power came on alot smoother after advancing the timing.

the car was fighting tire spin in 1st gear (obviously), the tires on there are old crappy worn out ones... so that doesnt help.. i think the 60's were in the 2.8 range :O  obviously a ton of room for improvement there with a good launch.  also yvonne never bothered heating up the tires cuz they were on there last legs anyways...

I lowered the tire pressures down a bit for the last run and yvonne managed a bit better traction plus i again advanced the timing some more....  The following run, and last one of the night netted a 15.7 @90MPH w/ 2.6 60'.  definalty showing a bit of potential there....With some good tires on there im sure 1.9-2.1 60's would be in order and a 14 second run would be in the cards.

From here i will be probably trying some racegas next time,  a couple more pounds of boost (10-12psi) (currently at  a solid 8psi).  I checked out the plugs right after the runs and there were no obvious signs of ping or detonation... but who knows how much that really says considering they were idled down the return road for a bit before shut off.. all runs were done at 8psi of boost and

After that a wideband would be next, a better intercooler, SAFC II installed, custom manifold. 14b turbo, 3" exhaust.  that should easily get it into the 13's.. Im sure after that the engine pistons/rods would have to be upgraded before more power could be safely made.

Awesome stuff, guy.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 01:01:58 am »
The storm performed well tonight at the track.  I took the heavy sub box out, and put on some new tires today, as well as an alignment as well.

We got what we wanted out of her.  I managed a 14.9 @ 94 MPH w 2.2 60'  This was @ 6psi, running PIG rich (no tune) and with the stock tiny Impulse RS turbo, and heatsoaking top mount intercooler.  A bag of ice helped cool the intercooler down between runs, which seems to help the heatsoaking.

Really happy with how she is running,  it seems to be pulling HARD for only 6 psi...  Cant wait to get a good intercooler on it, a bigger, better flowing turbo and piping and a good diameter exhuast on it. Maybe add some tuning and maybe some methanol and  I can definalty see 13's with those....  and then some slicks would really wake it up coming off the line.   lots of potential still left in the little geo.

Offline Tony Leong

• 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5spd
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 10:59:49 am »
Nice work Brett!

Is Yvonne's Geo the AWD version?  My Mom had the Isuzu Impulse FWD; Mom & Sis loved that car!

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 07:48:07 pm »
no, it is FWD.  They never made a AWD storm.  Just the 800 AWD turbo  Isuzu impulses that were imported into North Amercia.

I do have all the AWD stuff from the parts car i have... not sure if im going to go through the trouble of swapping it in as it requires cutting up the floor for the driveshaft tunnel.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 10:45:01 pm »
some updated pics:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:09:31 pm by Brett Haviland »

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 08:52:36 am »
hehehehe, that turbo is so small they have to put a label there so you know what it is!   :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 09:46:50 am »
Lol, I was just going to ask if it was a turbo. :P

looks good brett!
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno