Author Topic: Help Idle problems  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Allen Descoteaux

Help Idle problems
« on: August 20, 2011, 07:22:57 pm »
Ok I have searched and searched, and the only thing that keeps popping up is a vacuum leak, however I have checked everything and my car still revs between 1k and 2k on idle.  It is very annoying.  The coolant is good, oil is good, all the fluids are good.  All my hoses are good (I think, what I can see).  HELP!  Oh and if anyone here is an electrical genius I need your help as well.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Greg Durban

Re: Help Idle problems
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 08:02:05 pm »
Have you checked the base timing to verify its at 5 degrees BTDC aswell? I had an idle issue when my car was cold but would clear up once it was warm, checked the base timing to find out it wasn't even registering on the marks. Adjusted it accordingly and it cleared right up.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline Allen Descoteaux

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:10:14 pm »
I don't have a timing gun.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:48:00 pm »
what year dsm? turbo?

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Allen Descoteaux

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 09:58:25 pm »
it is a 91 turbo awd

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 10:00:05 pm »
could be a bad FIAV valve.....

I do offer mobile mechanic services on the side for DSM's  I have fixed many high idle problems before.... I am also a automotive tech and do electrical diagnosis and diesel at the shop i work at.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Allen Descoteaux

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 10:09:03 pm »
Thanks I may have to have you look my ride over.  I just bought it a week ago and have already noticed the idle issue as well as when I turn my lights on with the button (not the steering column) all my lights come on.  As well as seeing many many loose wires leading to no where and not knowing where they are supposed to go.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 11:48:40 pm »
The keywords of 'revs between 1-2k' on idle seem to suggest an ISC issue. You can test the coils in it or just swap it with another. Make sure you've set the BISS already though. You can find the procedure if you search for www.vfaq.com

cheers
Kristopher

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:12:44 pm »
my money is on the fast idle air valve.

I have yet to see one of these cars that doesn't do it to some extent unless its been fixed.

The ISC can cause this as can just a poorly set idle speed screw or idle stop switch, but they also have other symptoms.

The FIAV has one symptom(well normally anyways) and that is idle surge.

Check your base timing, set your idle stop switch, set your idle speed(when its warm and the other things are set).  Also make sure your throttle cable is not too tight.

Swap a known good ISC if you can from someone elses car(easy swap).

If none of that fixes it, bypass the FIAV coolant hoses and block it off inside the lower half of the throttle body.  its a bit of work, but when done correctly you will cure your idle surge absolutely and permanently.  Well until you go to speed density, then it will come out again.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Allen Descoteaux

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 02:59:31 am »
Thanks for the input.

Offline Allen Descoteaux

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:57:17 pm »
Ok so I found out that my IACV is shot as well as my EGR and PCV.  On top of that my clutch is about to blow.  Once I get all this fixed then it is off to get the complete engine wiring re-done as the previous owner has done one hell of a hack job.  Wish me luck.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 10:13:29 am »
I'm not sure if you meant ISC or FIAV.

If FIAV is the trouble, save some time and just pop off the freeze plug on the FIAV, and screw the valve in with some pliers.  Put the freeze plug back on with some RTV.  No need to separate the FIAV section from your throttle body, and if you are keen, you can just tighten it down a bit and you might regain proper FIAV function.

In fact the way to fix most idle surge issues is to screw with the BISS for about 2 minutes.  If things don't get much better, screw in the FIAV all the way, and install a new ISC.  New ISCs aren't that cheap, but you can find newer ones from a non DSM (was it a newer Hyundai?).

Some of the failing ISCs I've seen have coils that test out OK.  If the coils test out bad they are guaranteed dead, but a good coil resistance test doesn't prove that it is working.

Offline Allen Descoteaux

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 08:35:52 pm »
Ok this is going to sound bad, but what does FIAV or ISC mean?  I know that IACV is the idle air control valve.  But that is the extent of my vocabulary.

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 09:34:15 pm »
here you go my man :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dsm+isc

probably looks meaner that i intend, but will save having to ask in the future :p
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Allen Descoteaux

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 10:11:31 pm »
Thanks, and I have used google a hole hell of a lot lately to figure things out on my car.    I just got lazy.  And now I have a wierd grinding noise coming from somewhere in the front right under acceleration.  I went over a bump after and the same noise.  So I am thinking I may now have to replace my suspension, which won't be that bad since I have to replace my control arms anyway.  I might as well replace the everything while I'm under there.