Author Topic: 100 amp fusible link  (Read 801 times)

Offline Jason Gilbert

100 amp fusible link
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:59:41 pm »
So, my last round of wrenching, I didnt disconnect the battery (smacks forehead). Anyways, needless to say I shorted the alternator and blew the 100 amp fusible link under the hood.

But, before I knew it was blown, I started the car up. With the link blown, the car ran, but idled like crap. Radio wouldnt hold its memory, and, each time I re-started the car, the ecu was like it it was just disconnected. My SAFC also showed 11.3 volts.

I since learned that thats what that link does, allows electronics to hold the memory.

Anyways, thats replaced, but I had an older honda civic once with a blown link. That basically shut down the car. What I dont understand is why does the car run like it does with that link blown? Why does the power even flow beyond it?

Any electronics/electrical guys out there with an explanation?
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
Re: 100 amp fusible link
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:10:42 pm »
It can still run off the battery.

I learned this when I unknowingly blew my 100a fuse while installing a new alt and battery, then drove 3 hours to the middle of nowhere for some wildlife photography only to discover that my car was completely dead when I went to leave (on a day old battery)
The closest lordco was an hour away. That was a great weekend, let me tell you.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:30:52 am »
I guess thats all it is Remi. Just surprising that the link wouldnt be the main route of power to the car, especially considering how bad it runs!
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:05:43 am »
I blew my 100amp fuse......My alternator power wire got crushed into the frame.
No big deal.....my volt meter told me something was wrong....a little smoke ......
But it will never happen again..
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:48:51 pm »
there are several actual fusible links.

Did you just blow the large 100am maxi fuse over by the battery or the actual fusible link, one that you have to cut out and wire in a new one?

The alternator maxi fuse is just that, for the alternator.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:52:26 pm »
there are several actual fusible links.

Did you just blow the large 100am maxi fuse over by the battery or the actual fusible link, one that you have to cut out and wire in a new one?

The alternator maxi fuse is just that, for the alternator.
It was the alt one John, not the wired in one.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 07:13:31 pm »
so just a fuse then?  Maxi fuse if you have to, but not a fusible link.  Totally different thing.

I snag those when I am at the wreckers cause they are like $8 a pop, if you will pardon the pun. 
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:23:18 am »
so just a fuse then?  Maxi fuse if you have to, but not a fusible link.  Totally different thing.

I snag those when I am at the wreckers cause they are like $8 a pop, if you will pardon the pun. 

Whats the defintion difference John?
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 07:29:05 am »
My terminology was incorrect. Found it on the intraweb....

As usual, John is right. Fusible links would be a strip of metal or wire, where that 100 amp fuse is in fact, a fuse. I know our DSM's have fusible link somewhere in the wiring harness.

I would swear it was referenced somewhere as a "fusible link" and just kept running with that phrase.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 08:15:10 am »
I feel like Im beating this thread to death but...

Those "maxi-fuses" as John has called them are referenced as "fusible links" on both the battery terminal under the hood, the main underhood fuse box, and the manual.

Right or wrong, thats why I referenced it that way.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 05:35:14 pm »
wow.  My bad.  Or, someones anyways.  Poorly translated Japanese maybe?

A fusible link is a piece of insulated wire that has to be spliced back into the harness when it blows.  I have done several.  These are just fuses.

No biggie really its just on your original statement, I was trying to figure how the actual fusible link burned but the alternator fuse was still fine? 

Sometimes terminology is pretty important on a diagnosis.

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 07:30:40 pm »
wow.  My bad.  Or, someones anyways.  Poorly translated Japanese maybe?

A fusible link is a piece of insulated wire that has to be spliced back into the harness when it blows.  I have done several.  These are just fuses.

No biggie really its just on your original statement, I was trying to figure how the actual fusible link burned but the alternator fuse was still fine? 

Sometimes terminology is pretty important on a diagnosis.

Terminology is always important.  8)

My original question was based on what I knew to be a fusible link, and thats why I was confused. I have always thought them to be the big off switch. In less computerized vehicles, If the link went, there was no more power anywhere.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)