Author Topic: lak of tools needed any tips  (Read 1150 times)

Offline GlenMartin

Re: lak of tools needed any tips
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 05:09:02 pm »
ya dont mess around just get brett to do it. you will be very happy you did. it is a pain in the ass job for the first time.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Paul Pigar

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 06:55:54 pm »
If u want to keep your middle timing cover, i removed the 2 studs on the engine mount by double nut and cracked them loose with a wrench then u can spin them with your fingers to get them out. 2g timing belt are a little bit complicated than 1g's. I did 4 timing job on a 2g and i broke the middle cover on the first 2 try without taking the 2 studs out.
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 08:42:08 pm »
yup, would have been nice if the mitsu engineers realized this and made them a inverted torque style studs like other manufactures do...  but yup double nutting works good if they arnt siezed too bad.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Brandon Dietrich

• ....-Dude i almost had u
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 09:00:18 pm »
alllriaghtyyy so how much would u want for doing this little chore m friend:)
Copyright and trademark of Ricky Bobby Inc -_-<br /><br />------------------—---------------------------------------------<br />95 talon tsi awd - current<br />99 eclipse gst - sold<br />97 talon  bosted 420a - sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 10:37:41 pm »
no time like the present to learn!  We all had to start somewhere.

read the vfaq.

Then again, paying for peace of mind is also nice.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brandon Dietrich

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 11:10:22 pm »
I'm confident in myself to pull my motor and do it myself but I really don't have much of anything anymore I've got my trusty hanes but that won't get it done with like my thread says lol lak of tools
Copyright and trademark of Ricky Bobby Inc -_-<br /><br />------------------—---------------------------------------------<br />95 talon tsi awd - current<br />99 eclipse gst - sold<br />97 talon  bosted 420a - sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 10:14:44 pm »
you think pulling an engine and putting it back in is easier than doing a timing belt?

I know the internetz all talk about "popping that motor out" etc, but there is more to it than it might first look.  A timing belt is a piece of cake and uses less tools than pulling an engine.  Of course if you are just yanking it out with no thought to having the car run again later, well, thats easy.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 09:10:54 am »
ya pulling the motor is a waste of time........doing the timing belt job although a pain in the ass.......would be easier than pulling a awd tranny and motor. if it was fwd, i would have totaly just pulled the motor knowing how much dicking around i would have been doing. if you do decide to do it yourself make sure you ask brett how to properly set the timing marks, or else you will do it again and again until your blue in the face. the hanes manual tells you how to do it, but its wrong. same with vfaq. it was only after i polled this forum that i got the correct answer. if you have a few things you want to do......like swap in a new clutch, and maybe change your turbo, then i would say just pull the motor.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 09:40:13 am »
The guy that wrote the hanes manual would spit his coffee out if you told him you ripped the motor out of your dsm to do the timing. lol

Its really not too bad. Get a book tho.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Brandon Dietrich

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 11:17:04 am »
I have a Haynes manual Idn what I cN do now I cNt pull the motor "lak of tools" so since I have to pull the motor I have my first speedbump it's a tsi awd

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 05:49:38 pm »
again, why do you have to pull the motor(engine, its gas not electric)?

Offline Brandon Dietrich

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 04:27:50 am »
I prett much asked in this thread the easiest way to change my water pump and I'm nothing but confused at this point
I figure I'd ask the easiest way to do it on here cause there's bound to be someone on here who has done it and would want to shed some light on the subject lol

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 11:58:41 am »
get a professional to do it.    thats easy.       Your best bet is to get a member to do it.  Or just open shit up and figure it out.  A manual will tell you everything you need and in the proper order.

you need a metric socket set and a floorjack    thats it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:03:29 pm by Jordan Kruger »
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Brandon Dietrich

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 02:25:18 pm »
Got that and got that so I'm starting now lol thanks I'll keep posted:)

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 02:52:31 pm »
Got that and got that so I'm starting now lol thanks I'll keep posted:)

this is going to be good..........