Author Topic: Pre-turbo meth.  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Jordan Kruger

Pre-turbo meth.
« on: August 05, 2011, 06:07:11 pm »
I want to incorporate a pre-turbo nozzle before I get the car tuned up.  I know some member are running it.  What size nozzle works for you?  I dont know all that much about meth systems using more than one nozzle. Do I just DIY  find a 3 way 1/8 npt manifold fitting   and branch off to the intake and my existing nozzle at the throttle body. Im running a 12gph nozzle and I dont know what size to add as a pre turbo nozzle. and I dont know where to get my hands on the manifold style fitting.    I guess I should get the solenoid mounted up in between the nozzles so there is still minimal line drain..
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Cole MacDonald

• Cardomain
Re: Pre-turbo meth.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:58 am »
I am running a 650cc/m pre turbo nozzle with a 750cc/m post turbo nozzle. I am not sure what your running for line, but my system uses a hard plastic 1/4" line that I got from Racing Greed along with the T. The T is designed for this line and the line just slips in a locks in place. Really easy to connect. I would install the solenoid as close as possible to the T on the upstream side of it.
1990 FWD Laser 240 FWHP
1993 AWD Laser, 2.4L GT35r powered 562 AWHP
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
2012 Skidoo Summit X 800 E Tec 164HP

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:58:51 am »
mine are all running off the same pump and solenoid.  It probably could be fine tuned better if it was seperate solenoids and/or pumps, but it works fine, in fact very well.  And its simpler, less chance of anything going wrong. 

The 3rd nozzle, pre turbo allowed me to run at least 7 more psi.  I say at least because I am now running about 28 psi indicated with no signs of knock and before the pre turbo I was only able to run 21.  AND before the pre turbo I had to run half a point to a full point richer with a couple of deg less timing.

I am using Aquamist nozzles, so the sizing is different, you can look them up.  Pursuant to that, I am running a 250 psi pump(pump pressure greatly affects nozzle flow).

I run 2x 0.8mm post turbo and one 0.7mm pre turbo.

Oh, and before the pre turbo I had to run methanol straight to get the knock down at 21 psi, rich and with less timing.  With the pre turbo, I am running 50/50% methanol/water.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:15:48 pm »
no blade issues running mix pre turbo john?
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 04:18:26 pm »
Im going to run 100% meth. Im going to have to get a real reservoirhold it ...lol. Ill  just tune with the line just running into the bottle for now tho.   I have my "tank" + 150pump + accumulator all located in the trunk. everything is connected with 1/4" hard plastic tube and push lock fittings.

currently I have my solenoid mounted on my firewall and its feeding 6 inches of line straight to my 12gph nozzle located at the throttle body. Im going to move the solenoid to a central location between the 2 nozzles. that's where the line will "T"       

On a similar note. Should the "T"  infact be a "Y" to allow better flow? Thats how it works for any mass being pushed through any piping system..
Only reason I ask is because Ive heard of people having problems maintaining pressure to both nozzles off a single pump (like my setup will be).

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 04:34:42 pm »
Do you have a check valve before the nozzles?
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 05:28:06 pm »
+1 on check valve(s).  I have one that is near the first two nozzles and one near the pre turbo.

no blade erosion as of yet.

I did a lot of research on that before I did it, and I found very little evidence that it actually erodes it, except over very long time frames.  There was one that we thought was from that but it turned out that his intake was not connected right and dust/sand was getting past his filter.

91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 06:05:15 pm »
Ill be incorporating 2 check valves  up      if I run check valves, then my solenoid placement wont be as big of a deal   right?

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »
Just finished installing my system. Will be 100% methanol. 650 pre-turbo (end of air filter) with check valve, 750 with check valve right before elbow into tb, and 550 no check valve right before the 750cc. Might end up putting a check valve on the 550, but there is 5-6" of line between my solenoid and nozzle, so it's minimal.

My solenoid is where the abs box usually is (for cars with abs) and I have very minimal lengths of tube between the solenoid, t fittings, and check valves/nozzles.

Pump is in the trunk along with the massive aem tank. Typically this is bad as that's a lot of line to pressure, so don't do it. Unless you have an aftermarket computer, AEM in my case, where I can have the pump activate at 0psi and start firing the solenoid at 1 or 2 psi. Pump will have plenty of time to pressurize, even if I set the solenoid at 1psi due to my large turbo.

Again, your setup may need to vary depending on your ecu, and turbo spool. Smaller turbo and you'd need to fire the pump earlier.

Now let's see if it works... Lol

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 07:08:08 pm »
enjoy your deposit littered combustion chambers :p

smurf piss for me
She lives.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 07:22:16 pm »
lol    or lack there of.   meth should clean!

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 09:52:23 pm »
doesn't, if you're worried about it periodically you could lower your start point for your meth put some 50/50 in the tank and do a nice drive (@ lower boost of course with throttle modulation) up a hill.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:44:51 pm by kevin derhouson »
She lives.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 06:25:25 pm »
yep, Kevin is correct.

When my car was on pure methanol(and gasoline of course) it carboned up the piston tops pretty quickly.

On 50/50 or even 75/25 it keeps the pistons clean clean clean.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:29:31 pm »
If the car is tuned for pure meth and is hitting 30psi,   would you just have to turn the boost down generally to run 50/50.  This would probably work according to how aggressive the tune is with pure meth...

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 11:24:35 pm »
i'd more just really lower the set start point to like 1psi and don't go full bore on it, let her eat up some of the mix, then empty remainder and refill with straight alcohol after and put your set point back to where its tuned at.
She lives.