Author Topic: Timing skip  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Dan Newman

Timing skip
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:18:55 am »
I may have skipped 3 teeth on the crank while I was tightening the flywheel. Can I rotate till cam timing marks are lined then go from there?

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
Re: Timing skip
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:30:41 am »
do so carefully, if you feel any hard resistance...stop!
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Dan Newman

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:03:16 am »
I felt slight resistance and metal to metal sound can be heard so I stopped
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:41:43 am by Dan Newman »

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:54:47 pm »
If you have already set the pulley correctly, then you can compress the auto tensioner and unbolt it from the block. Then set the cams to TDC as well as all the other marks, bolt the tensioner back on and release the pin. done. If you unbolt the pulley then you have to go through the whole process of setting the tension all over again. This is assuming you did the timing belt recently?
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 06:28:16 pm »
I would turn it by hand and get the crank and oil pump lined up, then use a threaded rod and go through the special hole in the timing cover to release tension on the belt (this allows you to leave the auto tensioner in) and if your only out a few teeth you should be able to slip the belt off one cam at a time and slip it back on when you have them timed.

its totally do able, me and dan harshey changed his cams without even pulling any of the timing stuff apart. just the valve cover and cams out, we left everything else alone.

so as long as the crank and oil pump and balance shafts can line up, then do as I said and get the cams last.

If the crank, oil pump and balance shafts dont line up, then forget everything you just read lol

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:36:50 pm »
Shane is a true dsmer. He dosent drive one because he knows them so well lol all he needs to do is shair how to fix everything that gose wrong with em to be a dsmer ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:12:09 am »
 :D
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Dan Newman

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 04:55:25 pm »
Thanks guys, i should know by now vfaq and 1000q can answer most questions.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 09:43:09 pm »
I'm confused as to how this happened tho.  Tightening a flywheel should not be able to affect the valve timing, its on the other end of the engine.  Unless you had the timing stuff loose and you were turning the flywheel?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dan Newman

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 11:37:48 am »
I put a wrench on one of the cams so the engine wouldnt spin, didnt expect it to slip but it did.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:39:20 am by Dan Newman »

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 02:40:34 pm »
when tightening the flywheel, you put a pry bar across the face and brace it still while you tighten the bolts.  If the flywheel doesnt spin then your timing wont.  I would never rotate the flywheel without with a loose timing belt or no timing belt at all. Even if I knew the head was at TDC.   Ive dealt with a belt slip on install. the left cam gear( exhaust cam)  will spring counterclockwise, while the right cam gear (intake cam) will spring clockwise. and your crank will only spin if you really try to spin it.  The oil pump will spin easily in any direction (do you have a balance shaft?)  The idler and the tensioner pully can spin all they want with no worry.     Some of this crap is probably useless to ya at this point, but im just typing off the top of my head trying to help ya find your way back to TDC  ;D        what im getting at is that you are probably only a few half turns of a cam gear and a half turn of the crank out..     It might look way out      but sit and think about the rotation of the pulleys , thats all I did. and I got'er back.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 07:44:12 pm »
dont ever use the timing belt to take all that pressure by holding  the cam gear when you are tightening the crank bolts..  it really stresses the belt  alot more then its meant for.  I would replace that timing belt now... essepcially if it was enough force to make it skip accross the cam sprockets..

next time use a bellhousing bolt installed in the block.... and use a pry bar/screwdriver to jam the flywheel up... then tighten/loosen the flywheel bolts that way.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 07:51:35 pm »
or, ffs, leave the timing belt off, set the pistons all to about half way down the cylinders, put the cams at TDC or close to it and DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO THE CRANK!!

Then when the flywheel is tightened, torqued correctly etc, THEN time the engine.

But yes, replace the belt or you may regret it later when you have to pull the head and have several valves replaced, a new head gasket, possibly remove the divots from your pistons etc.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 08:29:07 pm »
or, ffs, leave the timing belt off, set the pistons all to about half way down the cylinders, put the cams at TDC or close to it and DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO THE CRANK!!

I have a feeling john is hard on apprentices  ;D

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 10:09:35 pm »
no, not at all, I love to help out.