Author Topic: help asap please  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Andrew M Husband

help asap please
« on: July 22, 2011, 05:18:21 pm »
So for some reason i let me little brother borrow my talon today and he thought it would be cool to go swimming with it. He drove right threw a huge puddle and it bogged on him. He said it stalled on him and he couldnt get it running again. All the electrical works on it but the engine doesnt turn over. The oil doesnt seem to have water in the dip stick that i can notice anyways. Im thinking the altinator got soaked?  Do 98 talons have something called a hydrolock on it? had some guy in the parking lot tell me that the engine was hydro locked but ive never heard of it before.... I was goign to pull 1 spark plug out and see if theres water in there then take all 4 out if there as water and crank it over that way.  suggestions on how to get my car running again please?!

Offline andrew volcz

Re: help asap please
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 05:28:29 pm »
Hydro lock IS water sucked into the cylinder(s) ... It's not a syndrome of a particular car. You could pull the plugs to confirm if there's water in any of the cylinders and crank the motor over to possibly drain it - or google the process. If enough water was sucked up, it could also be in your intercooler or low piping.

Offline Ed Altizer

• 1994 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 06:46:44 pm »
Dangit Andrew...that sucks!
At first I thought it could be your cas, then noticed you said it doesn't even turn over...
It could be bad if your brother was revving hard.  Don't wanna say it, but possible bent valves, or even rods, if enough water entered the intake :(
Hope everything is fine tho...let us  know what you find out after removing the plugs.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
        2015 Ford Explorer Sport
2002 Suzuki Katana 750
     1994 Eagle Talon TSi - Sold

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:04:50 pm »
+1 on pull your plugs and try to turn it over. If the water went over your air filter chances is your bottom end is fucked. I hope your bro will help u fix it $$$.

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:08:56 pm »
if i had a brother who did this, I would be an only child if he totally fucked it.
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:33:37 pm »
yea don't try to crank it anymore.

pull the plugs.

pull the upper intercooler pipe off.

pull your injector harness plugs off the injectors or unplug your injector resistor pack(easier).

make sure your battery is strong.

crank it over for a few seconds at a time until no more water comes out the spark plug holes.

Do it a few more times as it will still have some mist/minor water in there.

put a tablespoon of engine oil down each cylinder and turn it over by hand a few times.

remove your intake pipe, air filter etc, intercooler and piping and remove all the water and make sure its good and dry.

now you can reassemble it all.

I would check the oil level again.  I would also check the oil in the transfer case, transmission and rear end.

I would also jack it up and look for damage on the front underside of the car.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline lyle chavez

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 05:41:31 am »
 If enough water was sucked up, it could also be in your intercooler or low piping.
[/quote]

happened to me before....

Offline Ed Altizer

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 11:54:46 am »
Just saw your car this morning sitting at River Point Plaza...in the middle of the parking lot...beside a large puddle, or was it a small lake :-\  Dang! that thing looked deep! 
        2015 Ford Explorer Sport
2002 Suzuki Katana 750

Offline Andrew M Husband

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 01:25:37 am »
i actually think its safe to call it a small lake. was 3 times bigger on friday night lol..  ok so ive got limited tool right now since everyhting of mine likes to go missing at work but i pulled the plugs and they were wet. so we cranked it by hand and lucky enough for me the dollar giant has nothing to suck water out of the motor so i took a straw from subway and processed to suck all the water out of it. spend a good 30-45 minutes doing this but couldnt get it all out.  it started to sound like everything was going to work out. turned the key trying to get the water to shoot outta the holes but at the end of things seized again ( had the intake pipe off the turbo at this time). looked like it sucked abunch of water into it.But unfortunatly i was defeated and could not get her going again :( called the tow truck and towed it to the shop hoping they have better luck with it on monday

my little asshole brother will definatly be paying me back for this headache :P

Offline Andrew M Husband

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 01:27:03 am »
one other shitty thing is when i was trying to fix my car i had this one little asshole civic with a nice fake hood scoop go right threw the small lake... would have been sweet justice if it died in the middle

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 07:36:36 am »
Andrew, you did not follow the instructions I put up for you.  If you had, you would not have sucked more water into the engine.  If you have bent rods, its possible that you did them yourself now on the second go.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ed Altizer

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 08:04:13 am »
one other shitty thing is when i was trying to fix my car i had this one little asshole civic with a nice fake hood scoop go right threw the small lake... would have been sweet justice if it died in the middle

Yeah...that would have been nice.
But forced induction makes our cars more vulnerable.

When I first bought my car, I made the mistake of degreasing the motor and spraying it with the hose, like I've done with all my other vehicles. Of course I covered the altenator and cas, but when finished, I made the mistake of driving it right away and the moisture alone, still sitting under the hood, was enough to ruin the cas...Car ran ok for about 3km..then sputtered for another km, then shut down :( Lesson learned!

What shop did you take it to?
        2015 Ford Explorer Sport
2002 Suzuki Katana 750

Offline Ken Hawkins

• Al yr DSM R belong to me!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 03:27:09 pm »
Andrew, you did not follow the instructions I put up for you.  If you had, you would not have sucked more water into the engine.  If you have bent rods, its possible that you did them yourself now on the second go.

Second this, and adding comment that if you are sucking liquid water out of your cylinders, AND it seized, the odds of a bent rod or 4 are extremely high. Nothing for it now, other than to ensure you drain it all & see if it starts.

If by some luck you have not bent the rods, make sure the shop changes the oil, runs it for a few hours, then change the oil again. The first change removes most of any water that got into crankcase, running it boils off any remaining water, and the next change removes the oil which will have traces of acid in it. Oil filter also on 2nd change. Remember that water is heavier than oil, so it can get trapped under oil in crankcase, and after sitting, when you start the car, it is sucking water first!

good luck!

K
1a TSi AWD RallyX champeeeen
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project
"I once gave a rat's ass; nobody cared. Except the rat"

Offline Andrew M Husband

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:15:21 am »
john: i didnt come back on when you posted. my internet took a turn for the worst. i sent the car to rivers edge (only one i could get ahold of in town) a d the diagnosed it as teh bottom  bearings were seized up and to fix i need to replace the motor.

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 01:24:25 pm »
http://www.bcdsm.org/forum/index.php/topic,26058.0/topicseen.html  Time for a 6 bolt swap?  It's coming from a reliable vendor, Phil works at Evolution Auto Performance in Maple Ridge
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD