Author Topic: Mebbe not zo sad  (Read 394 times)

Offline Ken Hawkins

• Al yr DSM R belong to me!
Mebbe not zo sad
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:10:22 am »
Hi all

I might be able to get a replacement engine on the cheap.

I am looking at having to pull it, do some PM (t-belt, waterpump, etc) then put into RallyX. I also have a better transmission (lower km's, doesn't pop out of first, 2nd not crunchy).

My thinking is that I should take the whole front cradle from donor, do all the PM & futzing, then swap the whole cradle over to RallyX. I know this means getting some hoisting rig to lift the whole front, or perhaps whole car (would like to have one anyhow; other projects in pipeline)\

Has anyone here used that approach, and are there any gotcha's?

ciao
Ken
1a TSi AWD RallyX champeeeen
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project
"I once gave a rat's ass; nobody cared. Except the rat"

Offline John Hartman

Re: Mebbe not zo sad
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:38:16 am »
you need to get the body high enough to clear the whole works.

you need to disconnect brake lines, suspension etc in addition to what you would to pull the engine.

Personally I wouldn't do it like that.  I would pull the engine, then the tranny.  The tranny will be easy with the engine gone.

Unless your front subframe is damaged and you need to replace that too?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ken Hawkins

• Al yr DSM R belong to me!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38:36 am »
No sub-frame damage.

Just thinking of how easy to do whole WYAIT; old saggy frame & motor mounts, re-route wiring, repair floor damage from hard landings & rock-crawling,  yada-yada-yada.

Ken

1a TSi AWD RallyX champeeeen
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project
"I once gave a rat's ass; nobody cared. Except the rat"

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:38:28 am »
just pull it out the top... drop the t-case.... and exhuast..  pull axels. and all the other wires/linkage/hoses and out she comes!!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.