Author Topic: WTB: Mechanic...  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Ryan Singh

Re: WTB: Mechanic...lol!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 05:37:45 pm »
I was gonna grab the t belt kit from RG...I'm under the impression that that has it all.  ???
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: WTB: Mechanic...
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 09:32:17 pm »
kit is a great kit besides the shitty timing belt they come with. the Components in the kit seem good (tensioner/pullies/waterpump)..but the contitech belts are complete junk on DSM's.

Stay away from contitech belts...  Go with a Beck Arnley belt...  Trust me on that one (but lots of other ppl will back this up).  Your valves will thank you.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline jesse dobbin

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 09:38:43 pm »
kit is a great kit besides the shitty timing belt they come with. the Components in the kit seem good (tensioner/pullies/waterpump)..but the contitech belts are complete junk on DSM's.

Stay away from contitech belts...  Go with a Beck Arnley belt...  Trust me on that one (but lots of other ppl will back this up).  Your valves will thank you.

I agree...
1995 talon tsi sold
1997 talon 275hp sold
1gb talon tsi awdsold
2g talon (work in progress) sold
92 talon awd

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 09:40:29 pm »
The RG kit is really good.  all good brands like nsk bearings  and GMB water pump.    I personally would get a any belt other than the contitiech.    Every other belt is rubbery while the contitech feels papery.  
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 12:56:11 pm »
Saving $20-30 to get some sub-par OEM replacement for a failure point that can trash your whole engine if it goes is absolutely ridiculous. Get a proper mitsu belt that will last another 100,000km.

No wonder these cars get a bad rap for reliability. Neither of my DSMs ever broke down, only ever and still only do upgrades and scheduled maintenance - with OEM or better parts.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:58:18 pm by Jesse Veitch »
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 01:02:44 pm »
Saving $20-30 to get some sub-par OEM replacement for a failure point that can trash your whole engine if it goes is absolutely ridiculous. Get a proper mitsu belt that will last another 100,000km.

No wonder these cars get a bad rap for reliability. Neither of my DSMs ever broke down, only ever and still only do upgrades and scheduled maintenance - with OEM or better parts.

Agreed 100%, however just an FYI most Beck arnley stuff is comparable to OE quality (In fact typically its they use the OE supplier but reboxed, i've pulled mitsu parts out of a beck arnley box)
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »
If you find the manufacturer brand name on the Beck Arnley belt and it's the same as the mitsu then so be it, as if often the case with many OEM replacement parts, then fine. But, is the beck belt really proven the way a mitsu one is if it's not exactly the same manufacturer? Are there a bunch of people who have put 100,000kms on them no problem? It's really not worth it for a case of beer in cash.. When put in that perspective, I don't know how anyone could reason that anything less than OEM would be a good choice.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:16:43 pm by Jesse Veitch »
97 TSi AWD

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 04:55:59 pm »
LOL...you guys sound as if I was against going for the better belt. I said I was going to get that one because I didn't know there was a difference.
Now I'm thinking I'll still just get the kit from RG anyway, but get a greddy t belt for it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:22:33 pm by Ryan Singh »
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 09:13:17 pm »

Now I'm thinking I'll still just get the kit from RG anyway, but get a greddy t belt for it.

Thats a good idea.. the kevlar belt is extra piece of mind for sure.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 11:34:53 pm »
If you find the manufacturer brand name on the Beck Arnley belt and it's the same as the mitsu then so be it, as if often the case with many OEM replacement parts, then fine. But, is the beck belt really proven the way a mitsu one is if it's not exactly the same manufacturer? Are there a bunch of people who have put 100,000kms on them no problem? It's really not worth it for a case of beer in cash.. When put in that perspective, I don't know how anyone could reason that anything less than OEM would be a good choice.

Calm down man  I was just saying its not cheap shit

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 11:59:53 am »
the RG timing belt kit can include ANY tbelt you want however there would be a price change to reflect that - say if you were to go with a Gates or Greddy kevlar belt would be more expensive.  the standard kit includes a conti tbelt which i know some of you guys are not a fan of for what ever reasons but it can be exchanged out if dersired ... i know Goodyear or BA belts are easily avail and wouldnt really change the kit pricing. We can also build a kit to reflect a BS delete, which we did for Jordan and it saved him a few $$$.  Its no problem to put a kit together with a diff brand belt if someone wants it so just let us know what you want

Again RG has been using Conti belts for years without cause for concern.  we've used them on DSM's, turbo honda's, and high hp 2jz's to name a few - not to mention Lowells 500whp Laser. 

cheers!
 :)

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 03:32:49 pm »
Thanks for the info Andrew!
Would you be able to price out for me the kit with a Gates belt, and then one with a Greddy?

;D
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 04:45:06 pm »

i would like to chime in on this subject as i just went through this ordeal lately. do your research on this subject before hand, or do it with someone like brett who has done a few of them, or else you will pull your hair out a few times. on the subject of timing belts.....when i bought my car i was told by the person i bought it from the timing belt water pump was done 5000 km before he sold it to me. i put on another 20,000 km since. the water pump pulley was screaming, so i suspected the bearing was hooped. turns out the shaft was bent how i dont know (over tightening the alternator pulley? the pulleys themselves, alternator and power steering were warped as well. anyway so the pump was an oem replacement. the belt was a contitech. lets say previous owner lied, or forgot exactly how long ago everything was changed, because everything was indeed changed. everything looked new. so lets say there was 30,000 or maybe 40,000 the contitech belt was cracked on every single tooth. if i was making anything over stock hp it would have snapped long ago. junk in my book. even the cheap ebay one i got with my timing belt kit was thicker, stronger, and just plain looked higher quality. the contitech belt still looked brand new, except when you inspected the teeth. not tryin to knock anyones product, just stating what i have seen from my experience.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 10:23:38 am »

Calm down man  I was just saying its not cheap shit

Don't know how that came across as excited or frenzied... I was just saying that it blows my mind how cheap people can be (not you or anyone else here specifically) with something that can cause a total engine failure.
97 TSi AWD

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 11:26:35 am »

Calm down man  I was just saying its not cheap shit

Don't know how that came across as excited or frenzied... I was just saying that it blows my mind how cheap people can be (not you or anyone else here specifically) with something that can cause a total engine failure.

Yeah now worries, It was just me reading into it. S'all good.