Author Topic: WTB: Mechanic...  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Ryan Singh

WTB: Mechanic...
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:51:52 pm »
So here's the deal peoples...my car's been off the road for about 2 months now, needs a permit, then aircare, and then put on a flatbed to take it to a shop.  :D

Well that's not gonna happen considering my water pump bearing is pretty much gone, not to mention that the last time my water pump, t-belt etc...was done was by Lowell back in the L&R days.

So I'm thinking I buy the t-belt kit from RG and see what one you will charge to do it for me at my place. Currently it's parked off to one side in a two car garage in Newton/Surrey.

I'm not in a huge rush to do it, but within the month or so would be cool. I'm wanting to throw some cams in there too and I haven't even began to do the research on which ones to get. I just figured I'd throw it out there to see what you guys think.

Sorry Tommy, you know I'd bring it to you in a heartbeat...but given my situation, I'm sure you see why I'm doing it this way.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:47:53 pm by Ryan Singh »
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
Re: WTB: Mechanic...lol!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:37 pm »
I would leave the cams out until after you air care it. it will be easier to pass that way.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:34:14 pm »
Ryan. What part do you want to avoid doing?    Or would you just rather have someone do all that bullshit...   (which is understandable) lol

I can lend a hand if you get your hands dirty a bit    :p
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 08:06:12 am »
don't just do the pump and timing belt.  Do everything in there that is replaceable.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:42:34 am »
I recommend HKS 272s im running them now and im really enjoying them.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:19:35 pm »
yea but you have no aircare over there  ;) anything newer than 91 is harder to aircare over here.  Even the older stuff can be a bit tricky.  a 2g with big cams will most likely be a handful.

you guys are lucky in that regard.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 08:22:45 pm »
Ive got 272 regrinds        Passed with flying colors with a tune by RG  and 2 temporary cats.     ;D

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 10:18:30 pm »
and you have a 1g.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 11:44:12 pm »
and I drive a 1g.     with no emissions crap and speed density.   lol.        I duno y I talk sometimes.  ::)

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:58:08 am »
Ryan. What part do you want to avoid doing?    Or would you just rather have someone do all that bullshit...   (which is understandable) lol

I can lend a hand if you get your hands dirty a bit    :p

Hey Jordan, considering I've never done a timing belt or anything comparable to it before, I'm just avoiding attempting to do it all on my own. I toyed with the idea of trying it by myself...but I'm almost positive that I'd mess it up somehow.  :D
I'm totally game for helping out as much as I can if someone that knows what their doing is there tho.
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 11:23:21 am »
soemone needs to start making dsm video guides...
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 11:45:13 am »
So I have a question...probably a newb one but whatever...lol. When you guys say hks 272's, are you referring to cam gears or the camshaft? Or both? I'm assuming it's the gears because after a bit of reading it seems like you could get a nice tune from just the gears...no?
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 12:07:08 pm »
HKS 272's are an HKS camshaft.  the 272 refers to the duration (degrees) of the cam lobes.      Cam gears are for fine tuning and playin with timing with more precision.  You can run HKS 272's without cam gears. But if you want optimum efficiency out of any camshaft, adjustable cam gears work good.  You will still need to use a timing gun to get the timing setup.   But I can help you will the install..

-jack the driver side up with the wheel off
-remover inner fender
-place another jack ( with something soft ontop!!  ie wood or rubber ) under the oil pan
-dont jack up the motor but place a bit of pressure on the bottom of the oil pan
-remove driver side engine mount
-remove alternator belt
-you have powersteering so youre going to have to get the belt off that as well
-remove pulleys
-remove timing cover
-PM me    lol.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 12:19:21 pm »
Haha, wicked.
Once I have all the parts and all that together I'll give you a shout. Got a couple other offers for help also...but I won't be ready for a few weeks still. I will revive this post once I'm all set tho.

Thanks again everyone!
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 02:35:12 pm »
yea cool.     you should realistically do your water pump at the same time. and just have a look at your oil pump seal and crank seal. Both can be replaced only when you are in that deep.   make sure you get a new auto-tensioner , idler pulley, tensioner pulley etc.