Author Topic: All driving lights always on  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Dennis Sanjenko

All driving lights always on
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:29:29 pm »
I have a 92 Laser. Just wondering if there is switch problems with these cars or what is going on. I never need to turn the lights on as all my lights are on with the switch off. Wondering if it is defective or if maybe it was rewired to pass the canadian inspection as it is an import and maybe didnt have drls. Dont know. Any ideas? Thanks

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
Re: All driving lights always on
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:39:13 pm »
It was a mod that people sometimes do. You can find it on the vfaq site. It was done to our car as well when we bought it, I just left it alone.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline daniel sanat

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »
mine are always on to . i wanna take it off so i don't attract the police with my no front plate, and hids
1992 talon tsi

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 04:36:18 pm »
if its a US car originally(mph speedo, ghey motorized seatbelts), its to make the lights act as DRL's so it will pass federal inspection.

As well, the 90-91 cars with popup headlights, the lights are always on too, just tucked away, and the front "lights" are just lit by reflection.

You can just leave it be.  If you make it factory, you will have to enable some sort of DRL setup to be legal.  If you get a ticket, you will have to not only pay the ticket, but pay to have it inspected and repaired.  Plus if its inspected, it may have some other issues that you have to repair also, so I say leave it be unless you will be putting in another DRL setup.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:20:05 pm »
Our DRL are just low beam lights being turned on???  (I think)..
I just wish I could turn the lights off for tuning purposes.

I removed the passenger chip and my headlights stopped working ..
Because of the DRL I have not sought better headlights as they used more power.
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Dennis Sanjenko

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »
its the dash and guage lights that drive me nuts in the daytime. not sure where the car was imported from. just says canadian import on the registration. its in km and non-motorized seatbelts. once im done my truck the car will be built up for track only so i can remove it then.

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:56:45 pm »
I've owned both 1ga and 1gb cars.  In both cars the lights come on as soon as you turn the key, including dash lights, it's normal.  Like others have said you can remove a chip from the DRL module to eliminate this, not sure how that would affect dash lights though as I've never done it.
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:27:08 pm »
Dan is 100% correct.

you can remove the DRL module diode and unsolder one of the pins which makes the car remove the park/dash lights but keeps the headlights lit. I did this on my 91. Or remove it completely have have no DRLs (illegal and a lawsuit waiting to happen).

My reason for removing the parking lights was that driving into the sun the guy behind would have less chance in seeing brake lights if the lenses were already partially lit (ie less distinction from park to brakes). But the headlights are important, more so now that everyone looks specifically for oncoming headlights and forgets about moving objects in general.

Kristopher

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 01:06:36 am »
I remove the DRL module diode everytime the car is dyno tune as it is too much stress on the battery to have all the light on when the car is not running.

You say I can desolder something and make the headlight switch functional.

I just don't like all the lights on (with a mini battery) when I am tuning.
And I would like to put some blue headlights on but only if I can shut them off .
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 08:13:46 am »
DRL are fine.  I have an Eclipse and I turn on my lights even on a sunny day.

They are for safety reasons.  Mainly to be visible by other drivers and pedestrians. 

There are a lot of idiot drivers with no common sense...when it rains, snow and when its foggy during the day, some people would never turn on their lights on their cars.  Just because there maybe a little day light, does not mean that ones car is still visible.

But then again, I do agree...its nice to have the option of turning on and off.

For dash lights, don't we have a dimmer switch we can use to turn them all off??  Or is that only in 2gs???

Offline daniel sanat

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 08:46:46 am »
1g has a dimmer switch. 
1992 talon tsi

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 09:22:13 am »
DRL are fine.  I have an Eclipse and I turn on my lights even on a sunny day.

They are for safety reasons.  Mainly to be visible by other drivers and pedestrians. 

There are a lot of idiot drivers with no common sense...when it rains, snow and when its foggy during the day, some people would never turn on their lights on their cars.  Just because there maybe a little day light, does not mean that ones car is still visible.

But then again, I do agree...its nice to have the option of turning on and off.

For dash lights, don't we have a dimmer switch we can use to turn them all off??  Or is that only in 2gs???

Im the same way, I had DRL's for inspection but have since installed a 55 watt 8000K bi-xenon HID kit and disabled my DRL's since i didnt want them coming on while the key was "on" and the car not running. I turn my headlights on manually every single time I get in the car, Its habbit. At night time my high beam headlights are crazy bright, like id be guaranteed to get flashed by every single car coming in my direction, I barely use my high beams at night unless there are no street lights and no cars. In the daytime though when its light outside, I drive around with my high beams on and have never been flashed... I do this just for the soul purpose of being visible to other drivers that way I know that they can see me coming.
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Dennis Sanjenko

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 09:47:13 am »
the drls are fine. its a little odd though that the parking lights come on as well. forgot there was a dimmer switch. can use that for the dash lights

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 02:50:54 pm »
not odd at all  :)

marker lights are for that exact thing  :)  Visibility when the main headlights are off(for others to see you)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dennis Sanjenko

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 03:30:08 pm »
lol maybe its my truck thats odd as only the drls come on.