Author Topic: Someone to install remote start/ keyless entry  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Oman Yip

• DSM Noob
Someone to install remote start/ keyless entry
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:38:34 am »
I just bought a remote start/ keyless system on sale at Canadian tire, they don't offer installation so I'm just wondering who/ where would be a good place to get it done for a good price.

It's a ProStart 2 in 1, manual transmission

Quick question can I park it in gear with remote start?

I have also searched but I don't know how updated those contacts are...

Offline Sy Haw Wong

Re: Someone to install remote start/ keyless entry
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:56:43 am »
I just bought a remote start/ keyless system on sale at Canadian tire, they don't offer installation so I'm just wondering who/ where would be a good place to get it done for a good price.

It's a ProStart 2 in 1, manual transmission

Quick question can I park it in gear with remote start?

I have also searched but I don't know how updated those contacts are...

No you can't park in gear and remote start.  Never do that.  I have heard funny situations where the car bounces and smashes a wall or some car cause they remote started their car while it was parked on 1st gear.

Try NMotion in Burnaby.  I went with my friend to get a quote for his wife's car.

http://www.nmotionauto.com/auto_security.html

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:08:22 am by Sy Haw Wong »

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

• Mobility Consultants Group
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 12:19:57 pm »
Do it yourself man, its easy!

Well... Its time consuming, but you should be able to bang it off in an afternoon. Unless you make $300+ a day, its probably smartest just to get er done.

Then you can ACTUALLY hook up the stuff you want instead of them trying to charge you $50 for every little extra thing

Offline Oman Yip

• DSM Noob
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 12:40:20 pm »
Do it yourself man, its easy!

Well... Its time consuming, but you should be able to bang it off in an afternoon. Unless you make $300+ a day, its probably smartest just to get er done.

Then you can ACTUALLY hook up the stuff you want instead of them trying to charge you $50 for every little extra thing

Honestly I would love to do it myself but it just looks so overwhelming and the fact that I have zero to no electronic knowledge doesn't make it any better...

Is there a step by step FAQ somewhere? I'm gonna go look at dsmtuners and dsmtalk when I get off.

And ill probably need more tools as well.

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 02:58:34 pm »
Ill make it easy on ya.

Get:

2x rolls of electrical tape($1 each)
1x soldering iron ($25 for a wireless one at canadian tire)
1x roll of solder (flux core) ($10 for a big roll, your new, so your going to waste alot at first)
1x voltmeter ($15 at canadian tire, you want one anyways if you dont already have one)
1x roll of the smallest wire you can get, 22 gauge will do, its not important really (except for doors, should be a bit bigger maybe, but again... not really THAT important)
1X wire strippers with a cutter, or you can just be hardcore like me and use sissors and the little space between your eye tooth to strip it

and you should be good to go.

Do these steps first and post back:

1. Mount the Unit (dont connect it just yet)
2. Mount all the other easy to connect standalone stuff like the reciever and shock sensor
3. Find a ground (or just take a bolt out and sand the paint off until you get metal on metal contact) (use the voltmeter to make sure) hook up to BLACK (duh)
4. Find Constant power 12+ all the time. Hook it up to the RED wire
5. Find 12+ power ONLY when the cars running, it will probally be easiest to find it under the steering wheel. Hook it up to YELLOW.

NOTE

Dont plug in the harness yet. Just mount the unit and run the wires ONE by ONE to where you want them. Solder it up after testing.

TEST IT BEFORE AAAANNNNNDDD AFTER YOU RUN THE WIRE, SHIT SOMETIMES GOES WRONG BETTER TO FIND OUT NOW.

At this point your keyfob should be making a connection to the reciever, if it is then GREAT your well on your way.
At this point you should not have had to make any cuts or drill anything in your car, later you can poke with wire through the steering boot (some shops even do this eeew) or you can just drill out a small hole and put a $0.49 grommet on there and run the wires through there
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:02:14 pm by Mikael Mikkelsen »

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 03:03:44 pm »
watch this too  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZjdiRxr0OM

This is exactly how you want to solder, easy eh!

oh and make sure when you do connect the wires to wrap them around EACH OTHER. dont just have one wire straight up and the other twisted around it. make both wires on a 30 degree angle and make them both twist around each other. Grab a small vice grip to hold them if you want, may make it easier.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:05:39 pm by Mikael Mikkelsen »

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:39:41 pm »
make sure to use acid core solder, not plumbing solder ;p
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 04:56:08 pm »
Dont use acid core solder on electrical only rosin!

Offline Oman Yip

• DSM Noob
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 05:37:54 pm »
Looks like there is another system underneath the steering wheel. Its a Python... when I bought the car there was a remote but it didnt work, so I took it apart and found the battery holder was loose. So i soldered that back up, and it seems that the remote is working again. But it is either not in sync with the module or something??

I dug around some more... Found two extra wire which routes back into the car... a red one, and a black/red one... Do i hook these up to the battery or something?

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 05:59:51 pm »
No, your better off to just remove the whole unit and ship it to me...

Ya man try it out for sure, can't hurt anything! Its probally doesn't have the same features as yours but it is going to make your life waaaay easier having all those wires all tucked in there for you, no searching which is 75 percent of the job.

Either sell the old one or return the new one. If you can't figure it out take a pic and post it up for me

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 06:18:41 pm »
PERFECT all the wires are already run for you, besides the remote start by the sounds of it.

look up whatever model alarm/keyless entry system is in there, look up the install guide so you know what colour wire going to the old alarm does what, unplug it , snip the wires you will be reusing to your new alarm, simple! and the remote starts are pretty simple to figure out.
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Oman Yip

• DSM Noob
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 06:37:38 pm »
Its a Python 460HP system, I can't seem to get the install guide for it. the12volt.com doesn't seem to be working its back online

How do I hook up the wires to the battery? I tried attaching the red/black wire to the red outlet of the battery, all my lights and the siren just goes nuts... and im suppose to have the black wire grounded I suppose? (I should really have this moved to the newbie section......?)

So if i replace the wires with the new module, I will lose that siren I suppose? Since this new one doesn't come with an alarm, and just keyless and remote start.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:41:21 pm by Oman Yip »

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 06:57:04 pm »
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/electronics/551530-python-460hp-alarm-install.html

thats about the only info i could find about that alarm... i only looked for a few minutes but alot of alarms main harness's are pretty similar so if you can figure out the door triggers and the unlock and lock wires from the old unit, it will be super easy to cut and attatch to the new unit
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 07:05:08 pm »
With remote start you can't just pull up to a spot, park, turn the car off then remote start it. There's a sequence you have to do before it will remote start.
1: pull to parking spot
2: put car in neutral while holding down the brake peddle
3: pull e-brake while holding brake peddle down
4: release brake peddle
5: wait a second or two and you should hear a click, like a relay click
6: after you hear the click, turn engine off and exit car
7: now you can remote start it

The clicking noise means the car is in valet mode. You cannot remote start without being in valet mode. And since you have to let go of the brake peddle while the car is on and not pressing the clutch peddle in, the only way is the have it in neutral. If you do anything other than that it will not go into valet mode cuz it might be in gear. May sound weird doing those steps but once you do it once you'll understand how stupid simple it is and you'll do it out of habit. I haven't had remote start for 2 years and I still park standard cars in neutral the exact same way. It's just how I park now.
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Kyle Kemp

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 08:18:43 pm »
Hey man if you wanna pay my gas and buy me lunch or dinner i'll come out to wherever you are one weekend and give help you out pointing you in the right direction. Since i was laid off from AVU i've done so many after the snow fall ppl like freak out lol
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - #1 for sound quality
-Big T28 w/ FP Manifold
-6 bolt swap
-3" Full Exhaust
-Greddy E managment
-Eprom ECU
-DSM Chip