Author Topic: Coolant/Cooling Lines  (Read 837 times)

Offline Kyle Kemp

Coolant/Cooling Lines
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:06:17 pm »
Alright so doing my build and changing alot of stuff. I finally have a "90" oil filter housing so now my 6 bolt timing cover will hopefully fit finally. The new housing is obviously oil cooler cooled not water cooled anymore. On my water pipe i have an outlet by the alternator that use to go to the filter housing and the other one from the housing went to 1 of the 2 on the turbo. I then have another outlet on the water pipe thats in the left corner by the corner of the head that goes to my thermostat, then the 2nd line from the thermostat goes to the 2nd inlet on the turbo.

Essentially what im asking is can i run the outlet on the water pipe by the alternator directly to the turbo?? I dont know if there's a specific way im suppose to do all this but maybe i'll get proper cooling after this if it was wrong in the past.

UPDATE:

Alright so here's my coolant lines and turbo, i have the one left over port on the water pipe on the right and the front coolant line off the turbo left. They use to go to the 2G oil cooler. How can i route this the most efficient way and cleanest way. Could i run the rear outlet on the turbo to the far right port on the water pipe and the front turbo to the thermostat??

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:27:28 pm by Kyle Kemp »
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - #1 for sound quality
-Big T28 w/ FP Manifold
-6 bolt swap
-3" Full Exhaust
-Greddy E managment
-Eprom ECU
-DSM Chip

Offline John Hartman

Re: Coolant/Cooling Lines
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:00:22 pm »
no, I belive that one can be blocked off if you are not using coolant into your oil cooler anymore?

You need an in and an out to the turbo.  The in is usually a threaded metal fitting/pipe that comes off the large water pipe, just under, say, #4 spark plug? 

As long as you have an outlet for the water, you should be good.

Turbos need water in, water out, oil in, oil out, air in, air out, exhaust in and exhaust out.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kyle Kemp

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:41:49 pm »
Thanks, where would i run my coolant out too??
-Big T28 w/ FP Manifold
-6 bolt swap
-3" Full Exhaust
-Greddy E managment
-Eprom ECU
-DSM Chip

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:27:21 pm »
there should be one from the tstat housing that can be used for that.

You are welcome to come over and have a look at how mine is routed. 
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:11:51 am »
Kyle:

I've converted my 90 w/ 16g to run braided hose with an adapters.

For oil, the oil feed is replaced with an adapters and 4an hose to the top of the turbo. Oil drain is 8an with flange adapter fittings from bottom of turbo to oil pan.

Coolant flows from tstat housing (which was drilled and tapped for an adapter) to back of turbo and drains from front of turbo to water pipe on the left side near where coolant hose to rad is.

I'll try and take pics this afternoon if weather is even half-decent.

Jason
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 07:55:38 am »
When I bought my talon the turbo didnt have the waterlines hooked up to the turbo. unfortunately my coolant pipe had been modified and no longer had the T which is used to route the water from the turbo , back into the cooling system. So all I did was route my water feed from the front port on the thermostat housing, and I ran a return line to a T into the waterline entering the rear of the thermostat housing,  My setup has worked fine with no cooling or heating issues. as long as there is a pressure difference, then the water will flow thru the turbo just fine.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 10:53:50 am »
I have a small length of hose with a bolt in the end. I still use the stock lines for the turbo. A couple of hose clamps and your done.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Kyle Kemp

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:27:37 pm »
UPDATE!!
-Big T28 w/ FP Manifold
-6 bolt swap
-3" Full Exhaust
-Greddy E managment
-Eprom ECU
-DSM Chip

Offline Kyle Kemp

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 06:12:15 pm »
No help???
-Big T28 w/ FP Manifold
-6 bolt swap
-3" Full Exhaust
-Greddy E managment
-Eprom ECU
-DSM Chip

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 07:21:58 pm »
Pressure differential. The water will pretty much flow however you run it.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.