Author Topic: Crappy Black 89 Colt GT. *updated Aug 2013*  (Read 14993 times)

Bryan Hoytema

Re: Black 89 Colt GT. *updated sept 2011*
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2011, 02:56:00 pm »
"oh shit thats not good",  :D, brutal tho

Offline Brendan Kelly

• http://wsod.net
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2011, 10:09:40 pm »
i love the "oh shit that's not good" wish i would have got a few more runs that night first....
89 turbo colt 4g63t swap, FP HTA68, DS MAP, AEM Meth, 850cc FIC, BC 272's 255 walbro 20*9*3 Fmic 2.5" ic pipe, awd springs, evo 3 mani, 3" dp 3" full exhuast, arp lp1, electronic exaust cut out, electronic boost controller, Best run 12.5 @ 118mph on drag slicks mission in oct 2010 dyno 260 whp @ 24 psi
oct 5 2011 381 whp @ 29 psi

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2012, 02:27:35 pm »
heres the carnage pics

It appears that either the wrist pin came apart from the piston, or the rod separated. I found the piston sitting in the very bottom of the bore (what was left of it) and the smaller piece of piston in the oil pan (pulled it out through the hole in the block. Pieces of rings where scattered all around the steering crossmember along with pieces of the block.  Not sure where the wrist pin/rest of rod went.. i imagine it ended up all over the track. Whats left of the rod (just a little nub) actually still seems to spin perfectly on the crank... so it wasnt a bearing failure or anything.  |The engine must have shut down pretty quick, because no metal pieces of the piston/rod ended up going out the exhuast valves, and into the HTA68.. LUCKILY!! The valves actually dont even look bent, but the spark plug gap got closed from the piston hitting it id imagine.

I took the HTA68 off and inspected all the turbine, and it still looks brand new!!  the BC 272 cams/ ARP L19 head studs are also still in mint shape as well still thankfully...  all the exspensive parts survived!!  well time to swap those goodies back into another junkyard block.

Another 6 bolt with 2G pistons will be going in in the next few days/weeks to replace this $100 junkyard 6 bolt...  hope to get her at the track before the season is over!!

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

Re: Black 89 Colt GT. *updated aug 2012*
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2012, 05:27:21 pm »
holy!  Never seen a 4g63 do that before, usually(at least 6bolts) are pretty tough!.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2012, 08:06:00 pm »
Yeah, its amazing what 29 psi of boost will do on pump gas and a 16g lol. 

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 02:28:41 am »
UPDATE!!! HAHAH  yeaahhh!

Hey so getting some more progress on this long due project.

Bought some new parts from Ziggy @ RTM

stainless steel brake line kit (For a FWD 1g DSM)  - hopefully they will work, the measurements i took and the style fittings used...  they SHOULD work

Prothane solid engine mounts (3 x 501       1 x 506)

Silicone DSM coolant hose kit (complete, most should be able to be modded to fit 89GT chassis (rad hoses, heater hoses) hopefully

Greddy style oil cooler kit (1990 filter housing going on as well)

Evo 1-3 Racing Radiator (ASI)  *note* a GVR4 rad fits, and the galant guys swap in the evo 1-3 race rads... so this should bolt up directly into the 89GT chassis.  (there is no coolant temp sensor bung in the lowe rad like the stock GT/GVR4 rads, but no big deal and the fans run all the time anyways.)

catchcan with breather, ARP flywheel bolts and cam gear bolts, OEM fuel filterm OEM thermostat, 2G oil distick

closeup of catchcan

Brian Crower Cam gears

(Other Parts that are not pictured : Throttle body shaft seal kit, all new gaskets, timing belt, boost gaskets,  New KYB Gr2 struts (all 4), New custom FMIC piping, )

This is all going on a new rebuilt 2G piston'd 6 bolt (stock internals) with BC 272 cams and a HTA68.  850cc FIC injectors and DS MAP'ed Eprom w/ ostrich for tuning.

hoping for some good results again without the KABOOM at the track this time lol
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:30:30 am by Brett Haviland »

Offline John Hartman

Re: Black 89 Colt GT. *updated nov 2012*
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 07:29:01 pm »
Brett, have a bung welded on, to turn the fans on correctly.  running them all the time can make the engine run too cool, or even shock a  hot engine if the thermostat opens and lets in a bunch of super cool coolant.

as well, the ems can be putting the engine in fuel and timing maps for a not warmed up engine.

plus, the fans won't last as long, the wiring can heat up, connections can melt etc.

and, alternators take power to turn when they are going balls out to keep up with a big fan or two.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2012, 07:36:06 pm »
I recognize those stainless lines. I've got a set on my AWD. I'm not particularly happy with them - One section (from strut to caliper, front end) is quite a bit longer than it needs to be, so it's hard to manage the excess line. I also caught one line (same section) weeping a tiny bit, and am monitoring it very closely.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »
Huh.  I have the same ones and they fit just fine, as did the ones we put on Markes car.  Wierd

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:24 pm »
Ive got those silicone hoses!  They are wicked hoses!   But, make sure you cut them perfectly with no slits on the ends.  The hose will split if its not a good cut.
These are awsome tho!  I didnt notice that one of the clamps had fallen off and I drove across town .. lol
They actually stayed on the whole way.. lol      they make a really good seal once theyve been clamped on.

What turbo is this thing running?

...bcdsm shootout.

337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2012, 01:40:46 am »
Ive got those silicone hoses!  They are wicked hoses!   But, make sure you cut them perfectly with no slits on the ends.  The hose will split if its not a good cut.
These are awsome tho!  I didnt notice that one of the clamps had fallen off and I drove across town .. lol
They actually stayed on the whole way.. lol      they make a really good seal once theyve been clamped on.

What turbo is this thing running?

...bcdsm shootout.

sounds good, ill watch out for those things. 

Its running a FP HTA68

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2012, 08:53:24 pm »
Looks sick brohiem!
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Zach Holt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2012, 01:38:53 pm »
hahahhehehehe!   good job Zachola!

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2013, 10:37:57 pm »
Been able to get some work done on the colt. yay

New BC adj. cam gears, Belt, new tensioner,tensioner arm, idler,cam seals (which were found previously installed backwards lol)

Weirdly the BC cam gears do not come with any OEM style timing marks.  just the adjustment marks pictured.  This made setting the timing a bit difficult having no refrence.  I ended up taking the old cam gears and using the cam pins to line them up with the new gears i just matched the timing marks up and marked them with yellow paint pen.  I imagine BC wants you to properly degree the cams, but i dont have the tools to do that.

Billet compresser wheel of the HTA68... ready to rock it  at 28psi (turn it up till you destroy a piston, then back it down a pound)

This engine is a 2G piston'ed 6 bolt.  all internals are stock besides L19 head studs and BC 272 cams, 1990 oil filter housing added on this time as well.  

Re-did all the thermostat housing seals and put the OEM thermostat in there along with all new intake/exhuast/TB gaskets, also did the oil pan gasket and cams seals, which i found the previous ones were installed backwards lol (never seen that before!).  Still have to replace the TB shaft seals, install the timing covers and such.... also install the flywheel/clutch/tranny and shes pretty much ready to drop back in there!!  Hoping to add more updates and pics this coming week.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:45:29 am by Brett Haviland »