Author Topic: Crappy Black 89 Colt GT. *updated Aug 2013*  (Read 14992 times)

Offline kevin derhouson

Re: Black 89 Colt GT. *updated feb 2013*
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2013, 11:34:25 pm »
looking good!
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Phil Maki

Re: Black 89 Colt GT. *updated nov 2012*
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2013, 10:07:05 am »
also did the cams seals, which i found the previous ones were installed backwards lol (never seen that before!).  

this is done to prevent the normal amount of oil that dsm's seep out from getting back into the motor.  true story. 

Looks good Brett!

Offline Robert Vorley

Re: Black 89 Colt GT. *updated nov 2012*
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2013, 10:57:04 am »
Weirdly the BC cam gears do not come with any OEM style timing marks.  just the adjustment marks pictured.  This made setting the timing a bit difficult having no refrence.  I ended up taking the old cam gears and using the cam pins to line them up with the new gears i just matched the timing marks up and marked them with yellow paint pen.  I imagine BC wants you to properly degree the cams, but i dont have the tools to do it.

They have made improvements to the new 4g63 gears.  For a video comparo:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-parts-feedback-reviews/450164-brian-crower-new-4g63-cam-gears-vs-old.html

Looking good.  Are you shooting for more power or more reliability this time? 
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2013, 06:11:47 pm »
yes, a bit more HP, hoping to better the 380WHP we made last time...  should be doable with the better intercooler piping going in, higher compression and the adjustible cam gears.   Would be nice to get this FWD burnout monster into the low 11's.

but yeah, main thing is to get the reliablily there....
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:24 pm »
Update!!!

ARP flywheel bolts:

ARP L19  headstuds

Installed all the prothane solid engine mounts.   To do this on a turbo colt, you end up using 3 timing belt mounts, and one rear mount from a 1g dsm .  Worked out perfectly and the engine is definalty solid in the engine bay now!

(note, i late found out that i put the mount on backwards lol  *oops*

also installed most of the silicone coolant hose kit (heater hoses, turbo hose, TB bypass hose, oil coolern spout block off hose.  The 1g DSM hose kit ended up working perfect!

Installed the engine

started re-doing the intercooler mounting (moving it forward, to allow for better airflow to the core, and also make room for the oil cooler and 12" pusher fan

Intercooler in its new location

new found room for the oil cooler.

Here is the 1990 filter housing with the AN -10 fittings.

Hoping to get her fired up very soon.  Just have to finish the custom AN lines/fittings for the oil cooler and mount the cooler to the rad support, route/support the lines.  a little work to the intercooler piping to account for the change in intercooler poisition, and mount the catch can, battery tray, install the new KYB struts and shes pretty much ready to go besides tuning!

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2013, 01:14:04 pm »
looking good man ! you think you are going to have any heat issues with the Oil cooler stock between the intercooler and rad ? where you going to take it to tune ?

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2013, 01:37:59 pm »
I don't imagine putting the oil cooler there will create any probems... That is sorta where they mount them on a 1990 dsm from the factory...  There will also be a 14" slim fan puller on the engine bay side, and a 12" pusher on the intercooler side of te rad, plus a all aluminum racing radiator will be installed in the stock location.  I will be installing ducting to keep the airflow going through the intercooler and through the radiator, and obviously the duel fans will help out as well.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2013, 05:15:56 pm »
lookin like a winner!!
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2013, 09:45:35 pm »
This is a car im excited to see.  Things guna rip!  :)
The engine bay looks great!
Question,   Is there no way to rotate the turbo cover and put the charge tube down along the subframe to the intercooler inlet?
Is it a tight squeeze down there?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:49:16 pm by Jordan Kruger »
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2013, 11:01:48 pm »
looking good man ! you think you are going to have any heat issues with the Oil cooler stock between the intercooler and rad ? where you going to take it to tune ?

also a little safer from rocks/debris.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2013, 06:12:32 pm »
Yeah...  Oh and to answer you question on getting it tuned...  Ill do the cruise/idle etc by muyself on the street... And just because street tuning WOT is very sketchy and dangerous with the 400ish WHP and fwd I will more then likely take it to RG and have lowell do the WOT full load  portion on the dyno, where I don't risk dying lol.

And jordan:   as far as clocking the compresser cover, yes I can be done, but then the wastegate diaphram has no place to bolt to.. (Using the internal wastgate).  We never had any issues running the internal gate ( held 28-29 psi just fine...and it could go higher if we wanted to, but we are now limited by the 3 bar MAP sensor and also on what the stock engine internals can handle.   

With the 11b turbo outlet installed backwards it perfectly places the outlet overtop of the manifold and down to the intercooler...  But it is verrrryyy tight down below the turbo where the engine mount and rad fan would probably interfere with the intercooler piping if you did it that way
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:18:19 pm by Brett Haviland »

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2013, 08:56:06 pm »
got some more work done on the colt

Mounted the racing radiator. 14" puller mounted on the engine side, 12" pusher mounted to the rad support on the front side.  Not sure whether to set the smaller 12" pusher to turn on anytime the main 14" puller goes on.... or hook the 12" fan to run with a user selectable switch.   I assume it wouldnt be needed in normal driving conditions... so probably better to just put it on a separate switch and have the 14" set up to run as a stock fan would and just use the 12" fan when needed. in hard driving or very hot summer temps.

also pictured is the large size engine oil cooler and the fmic

I slotted the radiator mounting brackets to allow the radiator to come closer to the rad support to make more room for the intercooler piping that runs down near the alternator.  also should help keep the air going through the radiator a little better as well  With the 2.5" piping it comes damn close to everything

AN-10 oil cooler lines/fittings

radiator/rad support clearance!

I figured i will post some pics up of how i timed the 1st gen BC cam gears.  These cam gears were originally designed for a evo 8 or something so the marks on the gears are not correct for a DSM. I used a stock cam gear i had laying around to match the marks up.

I found the "top" mark on the cam gears. this mark lines up with the centerline of the center of the cam bolt hole and dowl pin hole intersect with the outter tooth, mark the tooth with a paintpen or whatever

then do the same thing to the BC cam gear and find the tooth that intersects the centerline (make sure the cam gears are centered in their adjustment).  on the BC cam gears you will find this tooth is one tooth counter-clockwise to the marks that come on the BC cam gears.

cam gear w/ marks

then you just count the teeth to and match the same to make the new marks on the BC cam gears.

the exhuast cam gear is 11.5 teeth clockwise from the new paint mark  (mark is inbetween the teeth on the exh cam)
the intake cam gear is 12 teeth counter clockwise away from the new paint mark

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:03:28 pm by Brett Haviland »

Bryan Hoytema

Re: Black 89 Colt GT. *updated march 2013*
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2013, 12:32:30 am »
+1

nice write up on thos cam gears I just picked up the same ones , loving the build update keep it up !

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2013, 10:59:55 am »
Well I have had the car on the road for around 2 weeks now. Got over 1000 km's on her now so the engine is pretty much broken in enough to tune it for WOT.

Got it running good with the ostrich and tunerpro RT, and SD. Pretty much got it running/idling/starting and cruising as good as stock now. I tuned the cruise and idle and then turned on the Closed loop option with the o2 input from the AEM wideband (shoots for 2.5v). She holds cycling a/f ratio from 14.5-15.7 about at cruice and idle. Should make it compensate a bit for weather changes and elevation changes a bit using closed loop id imagine (in cruise/light accel and idle). Seems to get very good mileage as well tuned as it is on idle and cruise. id imagine with a cat on there it might not do so bad at aircare either. I just wish there was a BARO input to the ecu now to compensate elevation/ baro pressure changes on WOT as well.... would make for a lot less fine tuning when the weather changes come around or if driving from sea level to way up in the mountains

Did a leakdown test and compression test and got the following. (to use as a baseline)

CYL 1 175 psi 9 % leakdown
CYL 2 173 psi 10% leakdown
CYL 3 175 psi 9 % leakdown
CYL 4 172 psi 11% leakdown

i thought it was cool how the compression result differences were bang on witht he leakdown numbers.

Anyways... I guess its time for a WOT 28psi full meth tune and see what she does.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:07:39 am by Brett Haviland »

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2013, 11:41:46 am »
Did you have any fitment issues with haveing room for you sandwich plate for your oil cooler? Just installed one (not on my talon ) but am having some fitment issues  :(