Author Topic: new wheels?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
new wheels?
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:47:30 pm »
So, I got a wicked deal from a wrecker here in Abbotsford. I found a 94 stealth TT and managed to get the calipers, rotors, wheels and good all season tires for $200. I weighed the wheels and tire and it came out to about 50lbs. I then weighed the stock wheel and tire that are on the car now and they are about 45lbs. At first I thought the weight difference would be huge but for only 5-7lbs, I think I can live with that. The tires are 235/45/17. I think that I will go with a 225 tire to get more clearance to the strut as there are only a few mm's. currently I have 205/55/16.

opinions? concerns? I want to hear them all.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:51:19 pm by Marke Bailey »
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Paul Pigar

Re: new wheels?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:35:37 pm »
wicked deal!

Am running 235's on my 1g as well and it's rubbing on the inner wheel well everytime i make a corner :( I'll probably go with 215's or 225's)
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:30:48 am »
Good deal.
But Damn. Those. Wheels. Are. Ugly.
You might consider finding a set of 2G 17" swirlies to mount the tires on... Would look markedly better.

Also... Needs lows.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

• Mobility Consultants Group
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 01:14:21 am »
There better than steelies...  ... ... kinda

otherwise nice find, nice tires too

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:09:29 am »
they are not much different than stock swirlies, but they will clear the big 4 piston calipers once I put them on.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:03:37 pm »
for fitment on the calipers, yes.  For weight no.  Style is ok tho.

I would say that a 225 tire will make you look like a tire stretching VW retard tho...  Stretch is ghey mkay?

Also to go with a 225, you will have to up the sidewall ratio.  So 235/45, you will have to go to 225/50 or you will make the tire smaller in diameter, effectively shortening your gearing, and throwing out your speedo.  And if you stay with 225/50 you will have taller soft sidewalls killing your cornering.

But if we are talking performance, we need to talk about weight as well.

Not only does your engine have to move that extra mass, it has to stop it as well.  Then we get into unsprung weight.  Your suspension moves in accordance with the wheels reaction to the ground.  If the wheel is light, less of the grounds energy is transferred into the car.  If the wheel is a fatty, you feel everything AND loose handling.  At least with a stiff car the benefit is in handling, this is just loose-loose.

But then we get to the big one.  Rotational mass.  The engine has to turn that big galoot.  The whole time the engine is accelerating, it is also accelerating that wheel.  Not much weight you say?  People have reported 25+hp from removing balance shafts.  They are not as heavy as you might think.  I was surprized when I held them in my hands.  Plus they have small diameters, for a small lever arm to act on the weight. Maybe 2" max?  Whereas a 17" wheel with a roughly 50mm sidewall on it has close to a 10" lever arm on it.  All this x4 because your car is all wheel drive.

not bashing, but I would hate to see you go to all that trouble, fixing the one wheel, getting new tires, mounting and balancing and then find that your car is slower, rides rougher, gets shitty mileage and makes you generally unhappy.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:30:49 pm »
I for one think they're kindof awesome... they're so late 80s japan style.

Plus they would look good lower and with a bit of poke. (Say what you like John there are proven benefits to turn in and contact patch to a little bit of tire stretch!)
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:03:12 am »
I for one think they're kindof awesome... they're so late 80s japan style.

Plus they would look good lower and with a bit of poke. (Say what you like John there are proven benefits to turn in and contact patch to a little bit of tire stretch!)

ahah thats what I said!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 09:01:18 am »
Good info!

John, I used the tire size calculator that you posted in the newbie forum. It said the old diameter is 24.9" and new is 25.0" speedo will read .4% slower. that was with a 225 tread. so in fact the diameter will be increased.

As for suspension I am seriously considering these now. http://tunersnation.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_234_288&products_id=729

As for rotational mass I totally understand that. However, according to the laws of physics it takes more work to start an object moving than it does to keep it moving. Not disagreeing with you, thats just what I learned.

I don't understand the stretch part. They are a 8.5" wheel, so is it stretching in or out? I assume you mean in.

When it comes to putting a bigger wheel on, the #1 mistake people make is not upgrading the brakes. I can't even begin to say how many trucks I see out there with those big pimpin wheels and they are still on the stock brakes. Its just silly.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:50:53 am by Marke Bailey »
The Sleepy Slushbox.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 10:44:10 am »
Those wheels look like the were designed for robocop...me likey
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 11:15:25 am »
suddenly i am thrown back into a time where neon clothes, ninja turtles and sweatpants were fucking cool as shit!

i like em!  i would like to see a shot a bit further out tho once you get them all mounted and balanced.. if that ever happens.  Get a wheel shop to check out that bent rim? 
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:19 am »
not yet. I'll be taking my truck into panther machine to get those wheels polished, and I'll have him work on that too while it's there.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 11:52:05 am »
suddenly i am thrown back into a time where neon clothes, ninja turtles and sweatpants were fucking cool as shit!

who says they aren't cool now?
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 05:38:06 pm »
Brett obviously doesn't have any hipster friends. Go downtown sometime and hang out in an east van dive bar on a friday and you will see all of the items you mentioned, especially ninja turtles pajamas.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:45:29 am by remi raymond »
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 12:44:14 am »
hahah okay!

time to go shopping i guess for a new neon windbreaker... and the kind you can tuck up into a nice little pouch that you can carry like a purse.

1988 was the best!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.