Author Topic: Where do you get your OEM parts  (Read 947 times)

Offline Loré Arens

• 1999 Silver Eclipse GS-T
    • BCs Cottonwood Industries
Where do you get your OEM parts
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:21:29 pm »
Hi everyone.

My baby did shred the harmonic balancer, and now that we have her all apart we are having a whale of a time finding replacement parts.

We are replacing all the belts, Timing belt and whatever else was suggested including the water pump but no body carries anything, any hints or help will be very much appreciated. Water pump $245?!#$ help  ;D

Thanks guys Loré

Does Chrysler carry anything, Mitsubishi sure the heck doesn't
1999 Silver American GS-T Eclipse

Offline Shane Sawatzki

Re: Where do you get your OEM parts
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:24:59 pm »
mitsu may not carry anything in stock for your car but they sure as hell can order it, that would be your best bet for oem, but the prices are kind of steep, yes that is what an OEM water pump sells for from mitsubushi.

other then going OEM there isnt much of a choice , either expensive aftermarket, or cheaper lordco parts
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Jason Swan

• ebonyswan.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:46:03 pm »
Rtm racing should be able to help ya out and prices are very good.

Www.rtmracing.com

Carter performance on the island has stuff, but not oem and I am unsure of quality of parts - I have a water pump from them and it is by rock auto.

Jason
1990 Talon TSI - SMALL 16G w/ 10cm housing, 3g lifters, mains girdle, innovate wideband, ecmlink v3, 1050cc FICs, walbro 255, magnus intake, fp race exhaust manifold, evoIII o2 housing, 3" exhaust, act2100 w/6puck, act streetlite flywheel, bs delete
1990 Laser RS - sold
604-302-9997 jason@ebonyswan.com

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 09:53:16 pm »
+1 for RTM racing.  Ziggy is a good guy to deal with.. OEM parts.. and good pricing too.

Plus no duties or brokerage to deal with as hes not in the states, hes in ontario.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:26:10 pm »
email the shop the oem part(s) you are after

racing_greed@hotmail.com

Offline Brad Taddeo

• Epic Moustache
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:12:11 am »
I have had good luck with Platinum Mitsubishi in Calgary.  They have 3 or 4 DSM guys that work there and were able to get me almost anything I asked for and in a reasonable amount of time. 

I realize it's in Calgary, which works for me because I have family there that comes to the island regularly.  Your mileage may vary.

1991 Talon TSi AWD 5 speed
2013 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
2004 Honda CBR 600 F4i
2000 Suzuki DR650SE custom supermoto

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:02:24 am »
^^^what Andrew said, I get all my OEM stuff through them.
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 01:44:25 pm »
+3 or is it 4? for Ziggy I bought an all oem timing belt kit including water pump!

Offline Paul Pigar

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 04:47:15 pm »
+1 for rtm racing, they even have oem bolts/nuts.
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)

Offline Loré Arens

• 1999 Silver Eclipse GS-T
    • BCs Cottonwood Industries
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:17:20 pm »
Guys thanks for the great help, I could have order from Mitsubishi in Abbotsford, but they are a B*tch to work with.
It would have taken over a week to get stuff, anyway, but I would rather order from people who actually care about the stuff they sell.

Time was not the issue anyway.

;D
1999 Silver American GS-T Eclipse

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 11:52:36 am »
Also, the Contitech kits that I have used at work look very good.  We have had 0 complaints, combacks or other issues with these kits over the 3 years I have been doing this at one shop and a couple more years at others shops.

WAY cheaper too.  You get both belts, the bbelt tensioner, timing tensioner pulley and timing idler in one box. 

I have done probably 30-50 of these myself on various cars from VWs to Toyotas to DSMs etc etc.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 07:27:01 pm »
frank had some issues with the contitech timing belts on DSM's.  He said he had around 4 or 5 fail at around 30-50 000 km's and he had to warentee them.  He was not impressed at all and switched back to OEM belts.

Mostly they stripped the teeth right off them.  This was not due to oil contamination either..  I personally would stay away from them after seeing the belts that he kept and showed me..  the teeth were separating from the belt all the way around the belt. It was ugly.

What kinda belt was on Yan's car when it stripped the teeth off of it and grenaded his motor??

Personally myself, i have had one out of about 5 contitech that i installed belts strip the teeth off them after 25 000 km's.  Bent all the valves.  This was around 4 years ago on a buddies talon i did...

But also i have used them at work as well on mostly european cars (VW, audi) and have never had a issue.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:42:22 pm by Brett Haviland »

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 08:50:11 pm »
oh, wow, ok, good to know...

I won't be using them on mine then.  I may make a suggestion on interference twincam engines at work.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 09:50:52 pm »
yeah... could have just been coinicidence tho...  From the other reviews on contitech i have read there doesn't seem to be any issues with them...

but it is wierd that i had a failure with them and frank had a bunch too. (but some would argue that frank is the problem im sure)

I did read up that they are the OEM provider for european vehicles... not japanese manufactures tho.

I would be interested to find out what kind of belt Yan's one was that failed on him.  From the sound of it it was pretty much just the belt that separated and stripped teeth....no other failed stuff was found besides the broken valves from the piston/valve contact.

Another thing is i bought a timing belt for my wifes 2.0L ABA jetta.  I purchaced a Beck Arnley belt...  pulled it out of the box and it was a contitech belt...  funny thing is that the "BA" belt was like $25... the contitech was like $35 or something.

It appears Beck Arnley seems to have several distributers for there stuff..  A lot of beck arnley stuff is actually repackeged OEM stuff.. (which i think VW use contitechs t-belts from the factory)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:55:04 pm by Brett Haviland »

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »
yep, Beck Arnly CAN be cheap crap but its often repackaged OEM.

Thing is, you don't know till you open it as its not always the same for even the same part.

never really a problem that  I have seen tho, and its almost always cheaper.

not sure if I would use one of thier parts if it wasn't repackaged OEM in a real critical area(oil pump, tbelt etc) on a complex engine.