Author Topic: Valve Springs\Retainers.  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Mike Hewitt

Valve Springs\Retainers.
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:11:53 pm »
Now, I'm working on a couple things here. Did some reading and such.

What I'm contemplating\trying to figure out is if I should get new Valve Springs.

So for anyone that's done a 4g63 head here's a couple questions.

Info: I am going to be running Delta 272 Cams,upgraded lifters, stock valves, rollers, cam gears.

Should I look into getting a full on upgraded valve spring\retainer kit? I also noticed Slowboy Racing has JUST upgraded valve springs on their site, they are Brian Crower springs. http://www.slowboyracing.com/product.php?productid=7436&cat=4577&page=1

I was doing some research on DSMTuners, and there was a topic talking about how our stock retainers\locks are actually quite strong and we can just upgrade the springs? What are thoughts on this comment?

I won't be tracking this car every weekend, or revving to the moon every 2nd shift. Some spirited driving at times yes. I tend to 'baby' my car so to speak. I'm saying that to offset ideas of valve float and such. I don't run the RPM's up super high all the time.

What's everyone's thoughts on this..

EDIT: One other thing I was thinking on this is should I just get the machine shop to test my springs, and if they pass the test just leave them and install the cams. And if they fail then look into springs, or springs\retainers..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:31:50 pm by Mike Hewitt »
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: Valve Springs\Retainers.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 03:04:32 pm »
if your going to spend the money on the springs, you might as well get the retainers as well.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:08:21 pm »
If your going with the HKS delta regrinds stock should be fine, but if your going for the Delta Kelford272 regrinds springs and retainers will be needed.

What do you plan on revving to?

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:21:31 pm »
They are the Delta HKS 272 regrinds I'm going with.

The reason I was asking about just springs is, I can get those for 100 American shipped to my house. Or if I go with full springs\retainers from Ziggy it's 220 + Shipping Canadian.

I would say the max I'm going to rev to is 7000-7200. Don't think I'm going to rev much passed that.

Also have been reading up on Evo 8\9 springs are a good upgrade for cams...
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:32:41 pm »
They are the Delta HKS 272 regrinds I'm going with.

The reason I was asking about just springs is, I can get those for 100 American shipped to my house. Or if I go with full springs\retainers from Ziggy it's 220 + Shipping Canadian.

I would say the max I'm going to rev to is 7000-7200. Don't think I'm going to rev much passed that.

Also have been reading up on Evo 8\9 springs are a good upgrade for cams...

Stock should be fine for that grind and rpm range, but for $100 I would go with the springs.

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »
I would definately get springs and retainers because you're pretty far into your build.
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:08:20 pm »
Yea I'm kinda 50\50 on whether or not to do it. It is MUCH easier to do it now while I have the head off. Don't have to worry about valves dropping.

I'm not porting this head at all so..
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 04:17:45 pm »
Yea I'm kinda 50\50 on whether or not to do it. It is MUCH easier to do it now while I have the head off. Don't have to worry about valves dropping.

I'm not porting this head at all so..

I would do it dude! C'mon, if you're spending this much money already, might as well do it ALL.

Think about it. When you're up there in the rpm's, your constantly gonna think to yourself "is my valve train gonna blow up?"

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 04:21:26 pm »
Haha i actually laughed at that comment.

Yea if I can't find any evo 8/9 springs retainers. I'll be going with some BC springs retainers from Ziggy
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 04:22:58 pm »
Haha i actually laughed at that comment.

Yea if I can't find any evo 8/9 springs retainers. I'll be going with some BC springs retainers from Ziggy

Haha, someone on tuners will message you with a set (I saw your wtb post on there). Ziggy is good to deal with too.

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 04:27:12 pm »
Oh, I don't have experience using Brian Crower products, but from what i've read they're shit. I'd go with the Manley springs and retainers from Ziggy.

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 04:34:27 pm »
Oh okay

The springs I was talking about getting that are just springs are the BC ones. And I guess if their springs are as bad as the rep in their cams I probably shouldn't go with them at all.

What are people's opinions Manley's? Or other brands. 
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 05:29:04 pm »
the springs and retainers I have(BC ones) seemed great to me, and the machine shop that did my head work has built many many very high perf engines, and they said they looked and tested out very well.

That said, stock springs are very good in these cars up till about 8000rpm.

The retainers, I would get some Ti ones.  Its not a strenght issue on those its a weight issue.  The stock ones are quite a bit heavier than I thought and the Ti ones are really light.  And yea, its not that much in the grand scheme of things, but if you think about it, that mass has to accelerate and decelerate twice each time a valve opens and closes.  And at 7500+ rpm thats moving alot.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods