Author Topic: Question  (Read 619 times)

Offline Jake Weber

Question
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:30:34 pm »
Hey guys I have a s-afc in my car and I know its purpose and im assuming it toys with the ECU, I have recently swapped ECUs so I was wondering if the s-afc would be out of tune now? The car has had a dead battery maybe it reset the s-afc. I have no clue how to use/tune the thing. Would it have any effect on the new ECU? maybe why my car has a weird idle? old gas to, its been sitting for a while i did put some gas saver in it..
haha thanks in advance
'01 Chev Blazer - My one and only now
'91 GMC Jimmy - Sold
'92 Talon TSi - Sold
'91 Talon - Sold
'90 Talon TSi - Totaled

Offline John Hartman

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 08:40:10 am »
if the new ecu matches the old one exactly(90/91-94,awd/fwd, 5spd/auto, turbo/non) it won't be off at all.  The SAFC doesn't mess with the ecu itself, it messes with the signal from the cars sensors before they get to the ecu.

A TOTALLY dead battery will reset the ECU, not the SAFC.  The SAFC has its own battery.

Old gas and a reset ECU will make the car run poorly a bit at first.  You need to drive it a bit, normally, in traffic etc, to allow the ECU to relearn its various trims.

Depending on how long the car has been sitting, I suggest you do a few more items on the car tho, really check it over and change a few fluids, plugs etc.

Set the SAFC to 0 on both lo and hi, unless you have a different maf, injectors, pump or fuel pressure.  Then leave it alone.

Once the car has been driven for a week or so, you can play with the SAFC, but you NEED to do some homework in that time.

And you NEED to get a datalogger.  Dataloggers are cheap, cheap.  And there are sites that explain how to tune with the SAFC.  There is a section in BCDSM forums that is called "preexisting support" that has several links to tuning pages. Also google it up  :)

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:48:40 am by John Hartman »
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jake Weber

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:55:52 am »
I'm thinking about swapping back the other ECU just to be safe. The car has upgraded injectors, pump etc so I'm thinking about leaving safc alone and maybe then getting it tuned at a shop because I really have no idea how to work it  :-[ the car has been sitting for about 7 months. I obviously will change the oil, I want to flush the rad. The car also needs a 4 hour wash hahaha its so dirty :'(.

I still don't understand why my interior lights just stopped working when the doors open. All fuses check out good. And when I apply the brakes when the car is idling the heater dulls and the dash lights dim a bit. I still haven't had time to check my alternator to see if its working properly. I've been busy with future careers and current work haha. Thanks John
'01 Chev Blazer - My one and only now
'91 GMC Jimmy - Sold
'92 Talon TSi - Sold
'91 Talon - Sold
'90 Talon TSi - Totaled

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:31:46 pm »
alternator is probably getting a bit weak, but these cars all go a bit lower at idle voltage wize.

You really can tune the SAFC yourself, but you need a datalogger and a few hours.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »
My talons in squamish, but im pretty sure for the interior lights when the doors close there is a little button that your doors depress to turn the lights off. This button could just be stuck down, just spit on your finger and tweek it for a bit, or you could get fancy and use wd40. This was the issue on the back doors of my beemer, works fine now. Also if you are having power issues you may want to think about adding a few nice grounds to your electrical system, can really make a difference.
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 05:45:39 pm »
+1 on Graemes post.  I say door switch, its common on these cars.

You will have to take it right out, clean the rust off the back part of the metal panel the switch goes thru, lube everyone up and put it back togeather most likely.