Author Topic: any one have hade the same issue  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Ryan Dronsfield

any one have hade the same issue
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:01:38 pm »
Hi ok there's my problem the basic is that my rad fans wont work its not over heating though unless of course its in traffic

first i relapsed the sensors on the thermostat housing
then i checked all fuses and relays with in the engine bay
and because there were a hole host of issues were happening such as my o2 not working when it is my turbo timer not keeping my car on and other things i then put blame on the ecu also because it wouldn't communicate with any computer no mater what computer i use so i replaced it with one o know works flawlessly and still NOTHING

any one have any ideas because Im quickly ruining out of ideas  ??? ??? ??? :'(

any help is greatly appreciated and will bee my  friend lol 

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: any one have hade the same issue
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:10:03 pm »
Check and double check all your fuses.  Check to make sure the fans actually work (run power to them).

If you cant get it figured out i would recommend just wiring them to a ignition source (proper way to do it would be to use a relay but i have done it without).  THen your fans will run all the time and it wont overheat.  Much better then letting it overheat in traffic and blowing your engine up.

I think on a 1G the rad fan system doesn't even use the ECU to operate...  not sure if 2G's are the same.

Also again im not sure on 2G's but on 1G's the rad fan temp sensor is in the radiator...  Maybe you replaced the wrong sensor???

Sorry im more of a 1G guy then a 2G guy...  maybe someone else could recommend some other stuff.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:12:25 pm by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ryan Dronsfield

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:55:18 pm »
Check and double check all your fuses.  Check to make sure the fans actually work (run power to them).

If you cant get it figured out i would recommend just wiring them to a ignition source (proper way to do it would be to use a relay but i have done it without).  THen your fans will run all the time and it wont overheat.  Much better then letting it overheat in traffic and blowing your engine up.

I think on a 1G the rad fan system doesn't even use the ECU to operate...  not sure if 2G's are the same.

Also again im not sure on 2G's but on 1G's the rad fan temp sensor is in the radiator...  Maybe you replaced the wrong sensor???

Sorry im more of a 1G guy then a 2G guy...  maybe someone else could recommend some other stuff.

the fans moters are working when i run power though them there are no sensors on the rad it self  and it is run via the ecu that much i know i also know that when i hook up a meter to the relay plugs it says the correct voltage but when i go to the plug that plugs into the fan the one that salys power to the fan the voltage is different

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:34:11 pm »
run a new wire from wherever you have good power to the fan itself.  also run a new ground wire to the fan.

and if you wire the fans on directly, put a switch in it, then you can just turn it on at long lights or in heavy slow traffic.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mike Jamieson

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 09:47:07 pm »

[/quote] the fans moters are working when i run power though them there are no sensors on the rad it self  and it is run via the ecu that much i know i also know that when i hook up a meter to the relay plugs it says the correct voltage but when i go to the plug that plugs into the fan the one that salys power to the fan the voltage is different
[/quote]

what is the voltage difference? what side of the relay did you try? ecu side or fan side?
1st Talon 1995 TSI AWD, 14b. Sold
@&*%#@ mickey mousers.

Offline Ryan Dronsfield

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 10:17:25 pm »
run a new wire from wherever you have good power to the fan itself.  also run a new ground wire to the fan.

and if you wire the fans on directly, put a switch in it, then you can just turn it on at long lights or in heavy slow traffic.
that's a good idea Il keep that in mined but i wont do it unless i half to id kind of like to find the rout of the problem sencce its i nice challenge and learning curve given i dont nor can drive it yet because i don't have a license just my L and the care is purly a project car for now

but i had an ureka moment and was wondering if it could be my wiering harnes  if it is how do i go about checking it and were can i get a detailed diagram or something

the resone i think its the wiering harnes is that i took my meeter to the female end of the plug that plugs into the fan and saplies power to it anyway the reading i got was some were between 0.xx to 0.0x  x meaning inexact numbers  now im not sure what the numbers are supposed to be but when i do the same thing to the relays i get a number that makes sense which are 14.00 to 13.67 what do you make of this information  

also could over heating cause a frailer of my sensors on the thermostat housing because how i discovered this the second time is it over heated they were replaced before

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 10:19:04 pm »
Ryan, lets try a little bit of spelling correction please  :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Ryan Dronsfield

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 10:20:07 pm »

the fans moters are working when i run power though them there are no sensors on the rad it self  and it is run via the ecu that much i know i also know that when i hook up a meter to the relay plugs it says the correct voltage but when i go to the plug that plugs into the fan the one that salys power to the fan the voltage is different
[/quote]

what is the voltage difference? what side of the relay did you try? ecu side or fan side?
[/quote] i cant remember but i think i tryed all sides and they red normal some were around 13.00 - 14.00

Offline Ryan Dronsfield

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:21:08 pm »
sorry I'm on my iphone

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:21:17 pm »

Mby Mr. Holt can decifer it for us,  ;D  Just kidding buddy.

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 10:22:09 pm »
sorry I'm on my iphone

Thats even less of an excuse, iphones auto correct, hahah.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:23:23 pm »
LOL, hahaha, good shit.

Offline Mike Jamieson

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 10:48:27 pm »

[/quote] i cant remember but i think i tryed all sides and they red normal some were around 13.00 - 14.00
[/quote]

the ecu powers the relay to allow batt voltage to reach the fan. so, if your car is not hot enough to power the relay you will have no power getting thru the relay to your fans. if your relay is screwed it will not allow power thru even if the ecu tells it to. the first thing i would do is take a relay that has the same part numbers out of its spot and put into the fans relay spot, then get the car hot enough to the point that it would turn the fans on and voila. if they work you know its the relay. or just take out the relay and hardwire it, if it works then you know its the relay. what year is your car?
1st Talon 1995 TSI AWD, 14b. Sold
@&*%#@ mickey mousers.

Offline Ryan Dronsfield

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »
sorry I'm on my iphone

Thats even less of an excuse, iphones auto correct, hahah.
ya but its not effective if it doesn't know what your spelling because in such a shity speller lol  :'(
any ways id rather not get into learning diseblites (i know that's not spelled wright but same issue again with the i phone) sorry i often spell words like fuel (fule ) wrong but words like regulator and Mitsubishi correct and for some reason will miss arrange letters of a word :-\ :-\ ??? don't ask me why i don't have an answer   

we are getting side tracked here
by the way you miss spelled that's you spelled it thats but its that's

Offline Ryan Dronsfield

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 10:55:16 pm »

i cant remember but i think i tryed all sides and they red normal some were around 13.00 - 14.00
[/quote]96 same as the car in your pic i tested the relays and they checked ok but I'l try hot wiering it. It seems to be the sure thing

the ecu powers the relay to allow batt voltage to reach the fan. so, if your car is not hot enough to power the relay you will have no power getting thru the relay to your fans. if your relay is screwed it will not allow power thru even if the ecu tells it to. the first thing i would do is take a relay that has the same part numbers out of its spot and put into the fans relay spot, then get the car hot enough to the point that it would turn the fans on and voila. if they work you know its the relay. or just take out the relay and hardwire it, if it works then you know its the relay. what year is your car?
[/quote]