Author Topic: Are the front bumper side marker lights legally a must?  (Read 589 times)

Offline martin vanderwel

Are the front bumper side marker lights legally a must?
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:40:19 am »
do we have to have the side markers in our bumpers, or i can delete it from my body kit. if so, why would they be nessesary.
also i'll be in my shop,. so could you text me yes or no. 604 556 6191. thanks guys
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:45:43 am by martin vanderwel »
1995 Eclipse GST
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

Re: Are the front bumper side marker lights legally a must?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:50:06 am »
MVA says it needs to be there.. one of the offence i got ticketed on...but then again i live in richmond and rcmp here gets a bit too anal.

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 04:13:03 pm »
do we have to have the side markers in our bumpers, or i can delete it from my body kit. if so, why would they be nessesary.
also i'll be in my shop,. so could you text me yes or no. 604 556 6191. thanks guys

no dont need them. there are countless cars on the road that did not have them from the factory. my crx for one didn't. niether of my two trucks had them, my mx6 didn't have them. correct me if i am wrong but i dont think my 240's had them either.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline martin vanderwel

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:00:23 pm »
thats what i thought. i knew some cars dont have them, so i wondered whys our has too. they dont turn signal or anything so.
1995 Eclipse GST

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:50:03 pm »
Your crx dosn't have them becuase the headlight wraps around and has amber on the outside acting as your side marker ( called corner light instead ) it has to be there.
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 07:10:47 pm »
if its there from the factory and is an outside light or reflector, you better believe you can get a ticket from modifying or removing it.

I do agree tho, some cars don't have them.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 07:27:25 pm »
shave them clean then just fight the ticket. be like " I got the car and half of them bont have that. talk out your ass." it works for things like that. or tinted windows. be like "I got the car like that and it isnt even noticable. I removed it for you but ticketing is unfair." but in both caces its only if the cop shows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 07:54:21 pm »
I'll echo John's statement. It's certainly required under the Act.

Initial reason it was put in place was to allow an approaching vehicle to see your dead car since the reflectors would indicate there's something on the road. Some mfrs get away without them if they have other safety systems in place. Look at many SUVs...they have high-mount lights but the reflectors don't work if the lights burn out (too high for your headlights) so they make them put reflectors in the bumper which looks like ass.

I used to have a Fiero (laugh all you want) and the Act in Alberta stated the headlights had to be unobstructed at all times regardless of whether the lights were ON. Since it was somehow allowed as a new motor vehicle then it was exempt.
Kristopher

Offline martin vanderwel

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:24 pm »
but John also agreed and said some vehicles dont have them. so thats the bottom line. if some come factory without them, they shouldnt be nessesary or else they wouldnt be allowed to produce them like they do. im confused. the ACT may say you need them. but then i want to know why there are exceptions

lol and Kristopher, i had a couple fieros too, cool cars.
1995 Eclipse GST

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 06:57:28 am »
I had one as well, and when I was in Alberta too.

As for the exceptions, its bullshit, but TONS of things are exceptions.  BMWs that have sport suspensions come with very little fender gap, but you can get a ticket if your "other" car is lowered to the same clearance.

Ford F-150s have stock side pipe exhausts(some years), but if you do one, you risk a ticket.

95% of older Harleys have straight pipes, and you all know that if you straight piped your car you wouldn't make it 2 min on a drive.

most modded 4x4 trucks have tires that stick WAY out past the wheel wells, but if you do that in a regualr car, you will get a ticket.

Muscle car guys can drive around with roll cages in thier car but we all risk getting a VI for having them.

etc.

The OP asked if they are legally a must.  They are.  He did not ask if they were really needed.  And he asked, if he wanted to hear us say we hate the rule, well thats different.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Don Woltjer

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 08:04:05 am »
i used to do federal and provincial inspections at the shop i used to work at. when we started inspecting the japanese imported vehicles, it was required by MVA to have the front reflective markers on both passenger side and driver side of the bumper, but only if the headlight did not have a wrap around side marker. hope this helps.
1990 Eagle Talon AWD Tsi

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 10:32:22 pm »
i used to do federal and provincial inspections at the shop i used to work at. when we started inspecting the japanese imported vehicles, it was required by MVA to have the front reflective markers on both passenger side and driver side of the bumper, but only if the headlight did not have a wrap around side marker. hope this helps.

thats the ticket. the talon for one has wrap around headlights. so i wouldn't worry about it. i have stock bumper, and so on, and have been driving without mine installed for the entire time i have owned the car.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!