Author Topic: Over heating under boost.  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Richard Clark

Over heating under boost.
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:34:25 pm »
Ok, so the Evo recently started over heating under boost, it will show that its over heating on the gauge, if i get out of boost within 10-20 seconds it will be back to normal.  If it starts to over heat and I slow down and stop, pop the hood I can touch everything and nothing feels normal and not overly hot.  I can actually feel the coolant in the res and its still cool.

So here is what I am thinking, When under boost the head is lifting and alowing exhaust to enter the cooling system and when this bit hits the coolant temp sensor the gauge sky rockets.  

I am not going through any coolant.  My turbo is burning oil but this shouldnt be contributing to this.  

Compression is 175 across.

Whats your take on this?

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
Re: Over heating under boost.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 07:01:16 am »
You could be pushing exhaust into your coolant without loosing compression maybe?

Get a proper coolant system test - the type that will test the coolant for chemicals from the exhaust.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:13:10 am »
Thermostat.

Coolant systems are closed. If the thermostat is not opening fully, it may cause part of the system to stay cold.

ALSO - The overflow is so rarely used, it probably didnt need to use it.
If you turn the heater on in the car and boost it, does it heat up?

Could be bad flow.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:01:49 am »
Mine's doing the exact same thing...my guess was thermostat too. Was gonna flush cooland and possibly replace thermo today.
The heater on high makes it normal tho.
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:33:34 am »
Ensure you have no exhaust leaks around the turbo or downpipe. It's super common to see those leaks heat the sensors when under load if there's exhaust escaping behind your rad.

Not sure if this would be a definitive answer, but I'd be inclined to check the HG by popping the WG actuator off and climbing a hill. Without boost you shouldn't be lifting the head without noticing any other problems (oil/coolant). If you still get hot under that load and no exh leaks the thermostat is easy to change and probably the culprit.
Kristopher

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:17:18 am »
Thanks Kris...sorry for thread jackin' Rich, but they're both similar issues so I figured why not. lol

So I replaced the thermostat and did the coolant, was fine for a while (30 min of driving) but now it's running hot again. Not under any load even, just sitting at a light it gets close to red.
Gonna replace the rad cap next...hopefully it's not the water pump dying.  ::)

One thing I didn't do was disconnect the neg terminal before doing it. Would I really have to reset before doing it? You think if I reset, the issue will settle itself?
Because right now, it's running based on how the old thermostat was functioning...right? Or..... :-[
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:26:34 am »
Thanks for the replies guys, it does have exhaust leaks, and I will be taking care of that, it is off the rd now so theres a shitload of work im going to be doing to it.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:06:19 pm »
Singhman, make sure your rad fan is working. I have a feeling it's not coming on or the sensor controlling it is bunk.
to check it try your a/c
Kristopher

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 03:30:44 pm »
If you are overheating under boost and from what you're describing, there's a potential your head's lifting, at least enough to allow exhaust gas into the coolant at a point where perhaps the headgasket is slightly compromised.  It will show up in your coolant though...I believe there's a test you can do to see if your coolant has been exposed to exhaust gas.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 04:52:20 pm »
Thanks Kris, the fan is working though...thought of that but no good. The AC thing is weird tho...for the past few years, whenever I turn it on...the rpm's drop to like 200-300 to the point of stalling.  ::)

Anyone know of the test Kimyee's talking about? I guess I could just google it...but that would be too easy!
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Paul Pigar

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 05:38:35 pm »
Mine's doing the exact same thing...my guess was thermostat too. Was gonna flush cooland and possibly replace thermo today.
The heater on high makes it normal tho.

my 2g was overheating too so i replace the thermostat and still overheats and it turned out to be the cap....make sure u test your cap too if it holds pressure.
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 05:54:08 pm »
Yessir! Replacing it tonight...if Lordco's got one and is still open on the way home.
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Paul Pigar

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 06:04:01 pm »
Yessir! Replacing it tonight...if Lordco's got one and is still open on the way home.

I got mine from metrotown lordco, they open till 9pm i think
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 06:04:53 pm »
Good catch, Paul. I completely forgot about that.

A trick some of us with tons o' boosts do is to use the 2g cap. If memory serves it's a higher pressure so lowers raises the boiling point.

[edit: lower chance of overheating]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:23:35 pm by Kristopher Rozon »
Kristopher

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 06:21:25 pm »
higher pressures raise the boiling point  :) the point of pressurized cooling systems  :D

Kris, your take on no boost testing and chemical testing (others too) are great.  Its what I would do at work for a customers car.

if the fan(s) are coming on, the water is pressurizing and moving around properly(I suspect it may not be) I would look at a partially blocked rad.  If its cold in one area, that can do it.

But you need to know if the water pump is fully pumping as it can do what you are describing if its not moving the water away from the engine and into the rad fast enough.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods