Author Topic: does it look like that pulley is spinning right????????? take a look.  (Read 302 times)

Offline GlenMartin

so i changed my oil today...........yee ha no more lifter tick...............anyway while watching my engine run looking for leaks and so on i noticed my water pump pulley..........i think.............anyway it didn't appear to be spinning on the level if you know what i mean. it had a little bit of a wobble to it. is it just my old age or is it indeed off axis? check out the video. poor qaulity but it gives you an idea. and yes i know my engine bay is dirty as hell.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:41:19 pm by GlenMartin »
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Kristopher

Re: does it look like that pulley is spinning right????????? take a look.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:08:30 pm »
I think you're right, Glen.

Could be a bent pulley or it could be the pump itself failing. While I've never had this happen, that's why you hear people say not to overtighten belts or you may wreck the pump bearings.

Check the 4 10mm nuts. If they're tight the belt comes off easy enough. Do that and try to see how much wobble you can get out of the pump that way. If it's solid I'd say it's a bent pulley.
Kristopher

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:11:38 pm »
ok thanx bud, i thought i was going crazy cause i noticed this once, then looked at it again and seemed to be spinning totaly fine. maybe there are some lose bolts or something. i will double check.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:28:17 pm »
yea that pulley looks bent to me.

Check it out as per Kris's post to be safe tho.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:10:50 pm »
ok so i worked on the car a bit last night, and the pulley, spinning fine........must be something fishy in there. loose bolt or something. unfortunately i get home so late from work and stuff my wrenching time is now non existant. this weekend i am going to tackle it....

i seafoamed..............left it for a day in each cylinder............didn't smoke one bit. i thought that was very odd. made it purrrrrr though. idle is so smooth now. still knocking. i have new plugs to go in though. new heat range. crossing fingers.