Author Topic: ECU  (Read 961 times)

Offline Jake Weber

ECU
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:51:13 pm »
I recently replace my ECU because I thought it was causing me problems. It ended up being my alternator. My car is now doing odd things, funky idle, when I apply the brakes the heater dulls and my dash lights dim. Also my interior lights wont come on when I open either door. But the light on the roof works when you turn it on manually. Could this ECU cause this? because when the other ECU was in I didnt have these problems. I dont know much about this ECU it came in a box of spare parts when I bought the car. P.S I also dont know much about ECUs in the first place  :D :P :-[ i also think i should of bought a better alternator haha
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:54:00 pm by Jake Weber »
'01 Chev Blazer - My one and only now
'91 GMC Jimmy - Sold
'92 Talon TSi - Sold
'91 Talon - Sold
'90 Talon TSi - Totaled

Offline Richard Clark

Re: ECU
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:05:09 pm »
I recently replace my ECU because I thought it was causing me problems. It ended up being my alternator. My car is now doing odd things, funky idle, when I apply the brakes the heater dulls and my dash lights dim. Also my interior lights wont come on when I open either door. But the light on the roof works when you turn it on manually. Could this ECU cause this? because when the other ECU was in I didnt have these problems. I dont know much about this ECU it came in a box of spare parts when I bought the car. P.S I also dont know much about ECUs in the first place  :D :P :-[ i also think i should of bought a better alternator haha

You blew your alternator fuse.  it is in the fuse panel under the hood on the passenger side.

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:08:31 pm »
Sounds like you have a short somewhere.
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 09:13:39 pm »
A blown alternator fues will cause lots of screwed up things, trust me.

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:07:46 pm »
A blown alternator fues will cause lots of screwed up things, trust me.

+3 , for this issue causing me a problem 3 different occasions :| its not fun jump starting your car 8 times to get it home because it dies after a block of driving with the headlights on at night lol.
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:41:29 am »
it could definately be the alty fuze, and it could be a bad ground/bad connection somewhere.  Check the fuze, and check all the connections you had off when you did the alternator, including but not limited to the battery connection, alternator big wire and little wire.  Also look for anything that might be rubbing now that you moved a wire a bit.

however, I also say that DSMs(and other Japanese cars of this vintage) have a tendancy to destroy batteries when the alternator goes.  And, on any car, when the battery is low due to a bad alternator, and you put in a new alternator and fire it up, the new alternator is going to go balls out to charge the low battery.  It can take SERIOUS life off it, or even kill it in a few min of doing this.  I have seen that at work and heard about it more often than you'd care to believe.  You may have fried your new alty already.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 12:34:21 pm »
Jake whats going on bud? getting the Talon back on the road then? Sounds like something electrical for sure, like everyone has said could be the alt fuse. This is your grey Talon right? I doubt its the ECU, although weird things happen?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 12:36:28 pm by Matt Mann »
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Jake Weber

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 11:46:34 pm »
I was going to check fuses but ran out of time and patience for that day. I'll try to check them tomorrow. Yeah John im sure I had to of had the battery charged when we were replacing the alternator.. this is like quite some time ago. The car has been sitting for a good 7 months since the alt was replaced. I've been starting it once a week just to keep things semi working and lately I've been noticing these weird little problems. perhaps I wasnt paying close attention before? I havent driven it for longer than 20 mins nor had it running for longer to see if anything else would happen, should I try that if all fuses check out good? Yeah Matt trying to get the grey one back on the road haha. I hate having a job that relys on a reliable vehicle or else i would of switched my plates a long time ago  :D
'91 GMC Jimmy - Sold
'92 Talon TSi - Sold
'91 Talon - Sold
'90 Talon TSi - Totaled

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 11:58:12 am »
So are you coming to the meet on the 25th then???  If you need help working on it I will be free after the 20th when my finals are all done. I will coming over to your Dads at some point to get a rear caliper and hopefully a heater fan assembly. Let me know
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Jake Weber

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 04:59:11 am »
Wow totally didnt even realized you replied until now  :-\
haha fml
my dads fucked he picked up another talon ahaha. yeah bud if you want to come over when ever you can check my car out and tell me what you think about it im pretty confused and unmotivated towards it
'91 GMC Jimmy - Sold
'92 Talon TSi - Sold
'91 Talon - Sold
'90 Talon TSi - Totaled