Author Topic: having problems with my car not starting when cold  (Read 1101 times)

Offline daniel sanat

having problems with my car not starting when cold
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:38:39 pm »
like the title says if the motor is cold i need to kinda pump the gas while its turning over and play with it so it doesn't die but once its totally warmed up it runs perfect ... I've been calling around and coq Chrysler said its a cold idle compensation valve and i might have to get a new throttle body . so is he full of crap or is this true?

any help is appreciated
1992 talon tsi

Offline Mike Hewitt

Re: having problems with my car not starting when cold
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:46:19 pm »
He's probably talking about the FIAV(fast idle air valve) or ISC? Has it always been like that? Previous owner install a block off plate for it?
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline daniel sanat

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:07:33 pm »
it just doing this  for  awhile after i put on all the mods
1992 talon tsi

Offline Vanessa Brake

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:16:28 am »
I've had this problem with my car off and on for a long time (it just started doing it again yesterday)....as I've had no reason to fix it till now I haven't yet

Everyone I've ever asked suggests the iac and the easiest way to fix it is apparently replacing the throttle body
You can also apparently clean the iac and sometimes it helps

I'm replacing my throttle body this weekend or next...I'll let you know if it helps any :)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:01:04 pm »
Daniel, Vanessas car is completely different from yours, but if its the FIAV, you can fix it by replacing the trottle body.

Vanessa, the IAC is a seperate unit and you dont have to change the whole throttle body.

Daniel, if you have access to a datalogger, hook it up and see what the coolant temp sensor is telling you.  Normally they fail to the cold side(start ok when cold, but shitty when hot) but it can happen the other way.  If its telling the ECU that the coolant is hot, its not gonna put any extra fuel in when cold.  And this is NOT the same as looking at your temp gauge, they have seperate sensors, you need a logger or other scan tool.

The other thing is, maybe you need to reset your base idle, base timing and idle stop switch.  This can happen when you mod it, and can cause this issue too.
Personally, I would block off the fiav and be done with it  :)  Just use the ISC, it works fine.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Vanessa Brake

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:47:44 pm »
Vanessa, the IAC is a seperate unit and you dont have to change the whole throttle body.

I don't know how to replace the iac.....people keep telling me it's easier to replace the throttle body as the iac is delicate and easy to break during attempted installation?? I don't really know though...  ???

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:00:58 pm »
bahh.

The IAC/ISC is 2 screws and one connector.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Vanessa Brake

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:14:36 pm »
Lol why do people keep telling me that it's tricky then.....I can handle 2 screws and a connector

Offline daniel sanat

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 07:39:42 am »
Daniel, Vanessas car is completely different from yours, but if its the FIAV, you can fix it by replacing the trottle body.

Daniel, if you have access to a datalogger, hook it up and see what the coolant temp sensor is telling you.  Normally they fail to the cold side(start ok when cold, but shitty when hot) but it can happen the other way.  If its telling the ECU that the coolant is hot, its not gonna put any extra fuel in when cold.  And this is NOT the same as looking at your temp gauge, they have seperate sensors, you need a logger or other scan tool.

The other thing is, maybe you need to reset your base idle, base timing and idle stop switch.  This can
happen when you mod it, and can cause this issue too.
Personally, I would block off the fiav and be done with it  :)  Just use the ISC, it works fine.

Mr John how do I block this fiav off ? Take off the throttle body undo the bolts that split the two peices apart then what ? 
1992 talon tsi

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 05:31:44 pm »
Daniel, you quoted some stuff, but didn't add to it?  Were you trying to ask something or point something out? 

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 05:33:12 pm »
Daniel, you quoted some stuff, but didn't add to it?  Were you trying to ask something or point something out? 

it was in with the quote.

Mr John how do I block this fiav off ? Take off the throttle body undo the bolts that split the two peices apart then what ? 

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 05:46:38 pm »
gahhh

There is a writeup somewhere on the interwebz.

Google search FIAV blockoff it will come up.

Offline daniel sanat

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 06:02:01 pm »
would getting another tb fix it?
1992 talon tsi

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 06:19:00 pm »
if that one is in good shape.  But even 10 years ago, most 1g throttle bodies needed to have the fiav blocked off.  Most of the used ones out there now will need it unless its been done already.

Offline daniel sanat

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 06:31:10 pm »
1992 talon tsi