Author Topic: ANYONE WANT TO WORK ON MY CAR :D  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Josh Royle

• 6 Bolt Swap
ANYONE WANT TO WORK ON MY CAR :D
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:41:57 pm »
I need to install my Wideband...
inovative motorsports LC1

Anyone who can help it would be appreciated

1998 GST
Built 6 Bolt Swap/ 3" Turbo Back /Blitz BOV/Apexi SAFC/AutoMeter Cobalt Boost.Oil Prs. AF Gauge/MBC/Hard Intake pipe/Skunk 2/ HID 10K/ FMIC

Offline Mike Hewitt

Re: ANYONE WANT TO WORK ON MY CAR :D
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:06:28 pm »
Not that I'm anywhere near you but what do you need done?

If installing the sensor in downpipe, mark location with a sharpie sensor is outta the way but still at corect angles. Drill appropriate sized whole judging by size of o2 sensor bung.

Take it to a local exhaust shop have them weld. Might even do for free. Mine did. Take home install pipe and sensor and run some wires.
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:18:37 pm »
pretty much.  I would mark the spot for the sensor, and let the fab shop cut and weld.  That way if the hole is too big, or not quite right, its on them.

Wires can be run thru the steering shaft boot.  cut a very thin small slice, lube it with silicone lube and stuff the wires thru, so its tight.

Power can be had from the dash lights dimmer switch so that your gauge dims with your lights.

Ground is easy  :)

Mounting the unit is up to you, personal taste and whatnot.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:12:58 pm »
Hey Josh,  Why dont you just come by evolution and get it done there?  I work there now.  Doesn't sound like too big of a job at all, and you know it will turn out awesome getting it done there.

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:24:17 am »
So you did apply, congrats buddy!
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Josh Royle

• 6 Bolt Swap
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:20:28 am »
YOU WORK THERE NOW! YES DEF GUNNA COME IN :P

i have a list of things....

-Innovative LC1 Wide band.
-Cobalt 6121 Mechanical oil pressure gauge.
-My exhaust is rubbing from the last time they installed it back on my car when i Re/Re my engine.
-And i may want to have the J Pipe welded onto the turbo outlet.
1998 GST
Built 6 Bolt Swap/ 3" Turbo Back /Blitz BOV/Apexi SAFC/AutoMeter Cobalt Boost.Oil Prs. AF Gauge/MBC/Hard Intake pipe/Skunk 2/ HID 10K/ FMIC

Offline Kyle Kemp

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:22:24 am »
Never ever ever run wires through the steering boot. That's the worse possible idea. Working at a stereo shop I've seen some bad stuff go wrong doing that. Whenever running stuff through firewall either use an exisiting gromet that has WIRES in it or just simply drill a new hole and buy a plastic gromet to pop in there. The idiot who did my gauges did that and now I'm trying to fix
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - #1 for sound quality
-Big T28 w/ FP Manifold
-6 bolt swap
-3" Full Exhaust
-Greddy E managment
-Eprom ECU
-DSM Chip

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 06:04:17 pm »
Ive heard lots of people running them that way. Check the Vfaq for the boost gauge install. Never been a problem for me... ???

Offline Kyle Kemp

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:29:53 pm »
Some people never have a issue. It's just a really dumb idea doesn't look as clean
-Big T28 w/ FP Manifold
-6 bolt swap
-3" Full Exhaust
-Greddy E managment
-Eprom ECU
-DSM Chip

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:14 pm »
I dont see how their could be any if its not going to rub on anything that would be wearing out the wire. As long as you slit it really low and away from the steering their really shouldnt be any issue. IMO its the cleanest way to tap the vacuum line from the throttle body for the boost gauge.

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 07:10:33 pm »
I dont see how their could be any if its not going to rub on anything that would be wearing out the wire. As long as you slit it really low and away from the steering their really shouldnt be any issue. IMO its the cleanest way to tap the vacuum line from the throttle body for the boost gauge.

+1 if u go thru the steering boot making your own hole away from the hole the steering goes thru your fine.
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 07:16:56 pm »
I'm not a fan of punching holes in the firewall or other sheet metal.

I as well have seen the effects of idiots cutting steering boots too, but like anything it can be done well and it can be done less than well...

FWIW, my boost gauge tube has been running thru my steering boot for 7-8 years now and its fine. As well, my water injection tube is thru it too, for 3-4 years now.

There is another stock grommet on the passenger side on a 1g, behind and below the battery, but on the passenger side.

As well, there is a tool that looks like a large hypodermic needle but bigger like a screwdriver size.  Its designed to push thru rubber boots.  Its hollow right thru, even the handle, so you push it thru the boot, and stuff the wire thru the middle of the tool, then pull the tool out.  This works slick.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brandon Kuczynski

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 08:03:01 pm »
yea there is a stock grommet on a 2g in the same place
1997 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Offline Kyle Kemp

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 09:43:49 pm »
Ya grommet tools are awesome I love them at work. It's easy to make your own hole and grommet and better sometimes but whatever works for you
-Big T28 w/ FP Manifold
-6 bolt swap
-3" Full Exhaust
-Greddy E managment
-Eprom ECU
-DSM Chip

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 12:56:26 am »

There is another stock grommet on the passenger side on a 1g, behind and below the battery, but on the passenger side.

Good to know.

I, someday, would like to install a secondary panel inside the cabin for all of my add-on power needs (everything from boost guage to datalogger to etc...) so that I don' have to keep running wires through the firewall or finding power on the inside of the car.
One secondary panel. Neatly tucked away. Easy power source, easy to troubleshoot if it goes wrong (instead of going "Now where did I grab power from for device X? Dammitt, I can't find the splice!)
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV